Starfinder Starfinder: Little House In The Vast (Closed)

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Not sure if I can finish my character before Wednesday; Thursday however is doable. Lots of work today, and Tue and Wed I'm away from my computer.

I've set my sights on a Vesk solarian, in case anyone needs to know before making their own character.

Kaodi

Hero
Really the most important thing for starting is actually the character backgrounds so if you could give me that or at least the outline of it I am sure we can probably manage a couple days until you have your character put together.

That Mechanic looks good, and cool to see a custom rig slotted into a prosthetic arm, :) .

So the rules don't say but do I need to spend the money on the prosthetic arm if it is my Custom Rig? I initially thought I had to pay for the prosthetic but reading the entry for Custom Rig it only specifically calls out a cost if you install it as part of a datajack. Just trying to figure out if I have 100 extra credits to spend. Really would like to pick up a weapon for my drone.

Kaodi

Hero
I was playing around the other day making a cyborg character of my own and mentioned on Discord that by the time I paid for all the prosthetics I did not have enough for more than a survival knife and it was suggested to me that if I ever played it I should ask my DM to waive the cost of the prosthetic arm and leg as they were merely cosmetic. I think that is probably the sensible approach in any case. Under the RAW I think you would have to pay for the arm period (heck, under RAW I am not sure you could even combine a prosthetic arm with the custom rig because I think the custom rig "takes up" the space you install it, except when you install it with a datajack). So yes, you can waive the cost of the prosthetic.

This way that character, by the way, though the name was a bit of a placeholder, :D. The concept was that most of her right side had been ruined in an accident or disaster.
[sblock=Half-n-Half]
Half-N-Half
Female Human Cyberborn Augmented Mechanic 1
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Resolve: 2
Exp: 0

Appearance:

Statistics
Str: 12 (+0) 2
Dex: 16 (+0) 4
Con: 10 (+0)
Int: 14 (+0) 3
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 11 (+0) 1

Stamina: 7
Hit Points: 10

KAC: 13
EAC: 13
Initiative: +3
BAB: +0
Speed: 30 ft.

Saves
Fort: +2
Reflex: +5
Will: +0

Feats
Human - Skill Synergy (Life Science and Acrobatics)
1 - Toughness
Exocortex - Skill Focus (Engineering)

Racial Abilities
+2 Dex
Medium humanoid with human subtype
Bonus Feat
Bonus Skill

Theme: Cyberborn
1 - +1 Computers, -5 DC to Engineering to identify cybernetics and Life Science to recall knowledge about cybernetics

Class Abilities:
Proficiencies - Lgt Armour, Basic melee, grenades, small arms, Hvy Armour and long arms*
Artificial Intelligence (Exocortex)
Bypass 1
Custom Rig

Skills
Acrobatics 1, +7
Athletics 1, +5
Computers 1, +7
Engineering 1, +7
Life Science 1, +6
Medicine 1, +6
Physical Science 1, +6

Languages: Common + 2

Augmentations
Custom Rig
Vocal Modulator, 125
Respiration Compounder, 250
Prosthetic Arm and Hand, 100
Prosthetic Leg and Foot, 100

Weapons
Survival Knife, +3 atk, 1d4+1 S, Analog, Operative, bulk L, 95

Armor

Equipment
Industrial Backpack, Bulk 1 (Str +2 to carrying capacity), 25
Shipsuit (Environmental Clothing; +1 vs Radiation and +2 to Zero-G movement), Bulk L, 40
Planetsuit (Environmental Clothing; +2 vs Cold and hot temperatures), Bulk L, 40
3 Everyday Clothing, Bulk 3L, 3
Hygiene Kit, Bulk 1, 3
Flashlight, Bulk L, 1
Canteen, Bulk L, 1
Datapad, Bulk L, 55
Standard Battery, Bulk 0, 60
Zipstick, Bulk 0, 10
Lighter, Bulk 0, 1
Trapsmith's Tools, Bulk L, 20
Gear Maintenance Kit Bulk L, 5

Total Bulk 2.1

Money 61
[/sblock]

Think I am now complete. May add some more details to the background.

Skitter
Male Ysoki Outlaw Mechanic-1
AL: Chaotic Good
Speed: 30
Height: 3'9"; Weight: 75 lbs Age: 15
Appearance: Skitter is a unassuming Ysoki. He has brown fur covering his body with white highlights on his head and ears that run down his back. Skitter's most noticeable feature is his gun metal grey right arm and hand, the signs of a prosthetic arm.
Strength
Dexterity
+2
Constitution
+1
Intelligence
+4
Wisdom
+0
Charisma
+0
KAC
EAC
Init
+2
Fort
+3
Ref
+4
Will
+0
HP:8Stamina:7Resolve:5
Skills
Computers (Int)* +9 (1 rank + 4 + 1 (Insight from Bypass) + 3)
Engineering (Int)* +11 (1 rank + 4 + 1 (Insight from Bypass) + 2 (Racial) + 3)
Medicine (Int)* +8 (1 rank + 4 + 3)
Perception (Wis)* +4 (1 rank + 0 + 3)
Physical Science (Int)* +10 (1 rank + 4 + 2 (Insight from Skill Synergy) + 3)
Piloting (Dex)* +6 (1 rank, +2 + 3)
Sleight of Hand (Dex)* +6 (1 rank + 2 + 3)
Stealth (Dex)* +8 (1 rank + 2 (Racial) + 2 + 3)
Survival (Wis)* +2 (0 + 2 (Racial))

Languages Known: Common, Ysoki, Kasatha, Shirren, Brethedan, Akitonian

Theme: Outlaw
Theme Knowledge: You are well connected to shadowy secrets and back-alley deals, and you both know about key players and have handy skills of your own. Reduce the DC of Culture checks to recall knowledge about the criminal underworld by 5. Sleight of Hand is a class skill for you, though if it is a class skill from the class you take at 1st level, you instead gain a +1 bonus to Sleight of Hand checks. In addition, you gain an ability adjustment of +1 to Dexterity at character creation.

Race: Ysoki
+2 DEX; +2 INT; -2 STR; 2 HP
Size and Type: Ysoki are Small humanoids with the ysoki subtype.
Cheek Pouches: Ysoki can store up to 1 cubic foot of items weighing up to 1 bulk in total in their cheek pouches, and they can transfer a single object between hand and cheek as a swift action. A ysoki can disgorge the entire contents of his pouch onto the ground in his square as a move action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.
Darkvision: Ysoki can see up to 60 feet in the dark. See page 263 for more information.
Moxie: Ysoki are scrappy and nimble even when the odds are against them. A ysoki can stand from prone as a swift action. Additionally, when off-kilter (see page 276), a ysoki does not take the normal penalties to attacks or gain the flat-footed condition. When attempting an Acrobatics check to tumble through the space of an opponent at least one size category larger than himself, a ysoki receive a +5 racial bonus to the check.
Scrounger: Ysoki receive a +2 racial bonus to Engineering, Stealth, and Survival checks.

Class: Mechanic
SP: 6+Con; HP: 6; Key Ability: Int; Skill Points: 4+Int
Class Skills: Athletics (Str), Perception (Wis), Computers (Int), Physical Science (Int), Engineering (Int), Piloting (Dex), Medicine (Int), Profession (Cha, Int, or Wis)
Armor Proficiency: Light armor; Weapon Proficiency: Basic melee weapons, grenades, small arms
Artificial Intelligence: You construct an artificial intelligence (or AI), a sophisticated program of self-motivated code that you can access for help in a variety of endeavors. This AI is the product of your own genius, far more advanced and complicated than any available for sale to consumers (though it falls short of being truly self-aware), and only you know the secrets of its creation and operation. Your AI can take one of two forms: a drone or an exocortex. You must pick one of these forms upon taking your first level of mechanic, and once this choice is made, it cannot be changed.
Drone: You begin play with a powerful robotic drone to house your AI. You build and control this drone, which accompanies you on your adventures and is capable of combat, espionage, and other specialized tasks. As you gain levels, your drone advances in sophistication and gain additional abilities. While the value of your drone is immense, only you, with your extensive knowledge of its quirks and security measures, can ever hope to operate or repair it. Drones are detailed in Drones beginning on page 74.
Bypass: You are skilled at getting inside computer systems and electronic devices. At 1st level, you gain a +1 insight bonus to Computers and Engineering skill checks. At 5th level, every 4 levels thereafter, and at 20th level, this bonus increases by 1.
Custom Rig: You have created a customized toolkit you can use to hack systems and items. Your custom rig can be configured to take up an upgrade slot on your armor or can be installed as a cybernetic augmentation system in your brain (though it can be combined with a datajack for the same price as installing a datajack normally), your eyes, or an arm. For more information on augmentations, see Chapter 7: Equipment. Alternatively, you can configure it to be a handheld device, meaning that you must retrieve it and hold it to use it effectively. While using this rig, you always count as having the appropriate tool or basic kit for any Computers or Engineering skill check you attempt. Some mechanic tricks (see page 71) and drone mods (see page 77) require the use of a custom rig. In addition, you can use your custom rig as a Mk I comm unit (see Chapter 7: Equipment). Finally, if you have a drone, you can use your custom rig to communicate over an encrypted channel with your drone to issue commands to its AI or directly control it at a range of 2,500 feet. If your custom rig is damaged, destroyed, lost, or stolen, you can kitbash a new one from any engineering kit, hacking kit, or other technological toolkit, reconfiguring the materials into a new custom rig with 1 hour of work. You can have only one custom rig at a time. If you create a new custom rig, your old one functions as a normal toolkit of whatever type you made it from and can no longer be used with your mechanic tricks.

Feats
Skill Synergy: Stealth and Physical Science: These skills become class skills for you. If one or both were already class skills, you gain a +2 insight bonus to those skill checks instead.

Equipment
Second Skin (250cr) L +2 KAC, +1 EAC, Max Dex +5, Slots- 1 (open)
Prosthetic Arm (Custom Rig)
Laser pistol, azimuth (350cr) 1d4 F 80 ft. Burn 1d4 20 charges 1 L
Battery Quantity (60cr) 2

30 cr

Drone: Sparky
Stealth Drone Lvl 1
Size: Small
Speed: 40 feet, climb 20 feet
AC: EAC 10 (14 vs AoO), KAC 12 (16 vs AoO)
HP: 10
BAB: +1
Reflex: +4
Fortitude: +0
Will: +0
Ability Scores: Str 12, Dex 14, Con —,
Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 6
Ability Increases Dexterity, Wisdom
Skill Unit: Stealth +6, Perception +4
Mods: climbing claws, reactive
camouflage, weapon mount, Manipulator Arms
Weapon Proficiency: Small Arms
Feats: Mobility

Weapon:
Pulsecaster pistol 1d4 E 30 ft. — 20 charges 1 L Nonlethal

Background
Skitter lived in Diaspora but was born on Akiton. His parents were members of the Shirsask Kaia and they moved him and his brothers and sister to the Faabarrium when they decided to salvage the ship. He spent his formative years scampering over the derelict cruiser. His engineering aptitude shined, even building himself an advanced AI drone which he could use to fix normally inaccessible parts of the ship. It was during this time that an accident took his right arm at the shoulder. He spent the months of recovery from the accident constructing a custom prosthetic. The arm integrated his tools and comm unit.

Skitter spent much of his time after the Farabarrium was back online working in the Dry Dock. Working on pirate and smugglers ships Skitter inevitably became friends with some of the outlaws. In helping one of his "friends" Skitter crossed a much more powerful pirate. His friend wound up dead and Skitter ran to avoid winding up the same.

Kaodi

Hero
Hmmm... here is what I am thinking right now for setup.

Zyzzy and Tara both received a package that included a data drive containing access codes for a ship called the Viridian Horse (a rare or nearly mythical beast from pre-Gap times).

The accompanying note for Zyzzy claims to be from her one time magical mentor and explains that she has been given a half share in a starship that is waiting on the planet Ixo in the distant Tabori Cluster, to which a transport from Absalom Station is leaving in several days. The note goes on to say that the lashunta had left it idle for some time and that events were transpiring that meant they would be unable to make use of it for some time and so he wanted his former student to have the shot at the stars she had always wanted.

The note for Tara on the other hand has no indication of the sender. It merely describes a mysterious benefactor who had taken notice of the former Imperial soldier and wished to give them a bit of a leg up in her new life. This note too awards Tara a half share of the Viridian Horse but it also explains that the owner of the other half is an android named Zyzzy who is likely to be on a shuttle leaving from Absalom Station for Tabori soon. It suggests Tara introduce herself when she feels comfortable doing so.

For Skitter the situation is somewhat more straightforward: on the run from a ruthless space pirate he finds himself purchasing a ticket on a transportation ship which will take him as far away from the Pact Words as is "safe" for the time being. By coincidence this is the same shuttle that Zyzzy and Tara have found themselves on, whom he gets to know during the couple of weeks cooped up together on the starship. While details details of this starship they have found themselves in possession of are few and far between, it does sound like they will need a crew, and the recently unemployed ysoki may be just what they are looking for.

How does that sound to you guys? Once we have a background for Justin's Vesk Solarian I can work up a reason for him to be on a journey to the frontier as well (or he can work it in himself).

Sounds good to me. I think I might change some of the details for my background. Instead of crossing a pirate Skitter does not know who he crossed. They pulled a job and they stole something. Perhaps an encrypted file or some kind of locked container. Friend still wound up dead and Skitter ran but he doesn't know who is after him. He also couldn't open the file/container so he doesn't even know why his friend was killed.

I think there are more hooks in there that you can use then my first pass. It also means my reason for being on the ship to Tabori Cluster is pretty much the same.

Kaodi

Hero
I mean she would know typical Azlanti attitudes towards everything and everyone that is not Azlanti human. I do not think it is too necessary to parse it beyond that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases