What previous supplements would you like to see brought back for 5e?

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I'm a big fan of the 3.5 books Heroes of Horror and Heroes of Battle. While perhaps not a direct update of these books, I'd like to see a book focused on how to run different kinds of campaigns.

Mercurius

Legend
I'm not including "dream books," just stuff that has existed in previous editions - as per the OP.

The obvious choice is: Manual of the Planes, in some form or fashion. It is the largest area of "classic canon" that hasn't been resurrected for 5E.

I'd also love a Deities & Demigods, but more for fun than utility. It could be a "Planar Monster Manual" to go with MotP, organized by plane with more emphasis on creatures but also some of the deities.

Also, the most useful game book ever, imo, was the 4E Rules Compendium. It is probably less necessary for 5E, but still it would be nice to have a handy table reference.

JeffB

Legend
I loved the 4E product model for supplements. I'd like to see more 4E style toolkit products (And then I might actually buy something from WOTC)

Examples (not necc 5E versions of the same books)

Threats to the Nentir Vale
Open Grave
Vor Rukoth
Hammerfast

From 3E:
Secrets of Xen'Drik

From TSR editions:
Lords of Darkness
Rogues Gallery
Chilling Tales
Book of Crypts

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Here's another one: I love how they've been converting classic modules into "anthology hardcovers," but I really want even shorter adventures. I would buy the :):):):) out of a 320-page "best of Dungeon Magazine."

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I loved the 4E product model for supplements. I'd like to see more 4E style toolkit products (And then I might actually buy something from WOTC)

Examples (not necc 5E versions of the same books)

Threats to the Nentir Vale

I think this kind of book would also fit well with WotC release theme for 5e; a book with lore, player options and dm options.

For example:

Threat to the Heartlands

Chp. 1: Brief overview of the region.
Chp. 2 Organizations of the Heartlands (lore and foes stat block)
- Cult of dragon (Dragonwing, Dragonclaw, war drake, Dragon sorcerer etc)
- Eltugard (Hellrider, Crusader, undead slayer etc)
- Evereska (Tomb warden, Grey cloak etc)
- Serpent Kingdom (serpent folk, lizardman etc)
- Flaming Fist (Enforcer, Sheriff, War mage etc)
- Candlekeep (Scholar, Scroll keeper, Scroll golem, dragon ghost, sage etc)
- Darkhold (Infiltrator, Knave, Merchant prince, Mercenary etc)
- Warlock's Crypt (new undeads and spellcaster)

Heroes of the Heartlands (player options)
- New backgrounds
- Some archetypes (Dragon warlock, Destruction domain, Halfling bounder, Candlekeep wizard, Undead hunter etc)
- Faction benefice ala Ravnica

You could do the same with other regions.

ccs

41st lv DM
A dedicated MMII.

Take all the monster stat blocks that've appeared in the adventure modules & collect them in one handy place.

For me, it's a no brainer. I'd like to see a 5e version of the 2e Core Rules CD ROM. Obviously it doesn't need to be a CD ROM, but a program that you can use offline that:

-creates and updates PCs
-creates encounters
-includes digital copies of the core books
-basic map making software that hyperlinks to said created encounters

20 years later and I still use the CD ROM for certain things.

If we're going electronic, bring back the 4e offline character builder. Add in support to add in your own material, or import someone else's.

You two do know this exists for 5E right? I mean you are both regulars here you got to know right? Is it just that the product isn't the U/I you want or at the price you want so you ignore it right?

Fantasy Grounds. sure, it's designed as a VTT, but it does everything you say you want.

- Offline: yep, it is.
- Creates and Updates PCs; yep, does that with drag and drop or direct text entry. Agreed it's not billed as a character manager, because you can't easily remove levels, but PC's only take minutes to create and update.
- Creates Encounters; yep, does that. Calculates the CR and XP and links to all the NPC entries (plus places them on maps and into the Combat Tracker if you want that).
- Digital copies of the Core Books; Yep, they are in a proprietary format so you have to read them in FG, but it's much like any e-pub with inline images, searching, etc. And you do have to buy the books you want or make them yourself.
- Basic Map Making with Hyperlinks; OK, so the native map making sucks. But its easy to import any map image in and then hyperlink it to encounters, stories, treasure parcels, etc. And, the new FGU that just completed its Kickstarter with over 8k backers is scheduled for release by December this year and has both tile and brush based map creation in it.
- Custom material creation and import; Yep, as evidenced by all the DMsGuild content available for FG and all the free stuff available on it's forums.

So, its not that what you want does not already exists. Is it just not as cheap as you want it? Or is it because it's marketed as a VTT and not a D&D digital tool pack? What is it that keeps you from using it for what you say you want?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Spell Compendium - Divine
Spell Compendium - Arcane

Every spell out there from any edition or official supplement, converted to 5e (or to another single edition - the point is that all the spells get converted to the same edition and put in one place).

S'mon

Legend
I've now been playing 5e long enough that I'm GMing a lot of level 20 stuff, I could really do with some sort of Epic Handbook/Manual of the Planes/Deities & Demigods/High Level Campaigns type book aimed at GMing for 20th level PCs. The DMG Boons system works really well but I'm decidedly short on good threats when my son's Barbarian-20 PC can kerbstomp any ancient dragon. He did have a fairly tough fight recently with a black dragon clan - 1 ancient 2 adult & 2 young - but he still won & there's not much that can challenge a 20th level PC, never mind a party!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases