Baldurs Gate 3 apparently in development (with evidence)

Derren

Hero
Not sure if the thread should be here or in the Misc. Forum

So Larian, the creators of Divine Divinity, have posted a new teaser picture on their front page showing a III
In the metadata of that picture the name "BaldursGate logo III" can be found and a copyright entry for Wizards of the Coast.

So with that as good as confirmed, it looks like that D&D might finally get a good video game as Larian has proven themselves to be competent. Now the question is which edition of D&D it will use and also how it is implemented. The brand Baldurs Gate carries with it a lot of expectations, but Larian so far published turn based RPGs.

In spoilers and swag, Nathon mentioned there was going to be “a major A.F announcement in June” this appears to be it. This is probably why the next adventure path is in Baldurs Gate so they can tie it it together. I wonder how inter connected the stories will be.

We know that there's a big announcement coming up, and BG III has always been high on the speciation list. This definitely seems to point in that direction, and Larian would be one of the top choices to produce it, as the Divinity games are spiritual successors to the BG games...

HJFudge

Explorer
I didn't see the Divinity games as a successor to the BG games personally. I always thought NWN, NWN2, Pillars of Eternity, Pathfinder Kingmaker...all of these were the successors to Baldurs Gate.

The divinity games did some interesting things, but there was for me a FAR different feel to them than there was with the above listed games.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
In spoilers and swag, Nathon mentioned there was going to be “a major A.F announcement in June” this appears to be it. This is probably why the next adventure path is in Baldurs Gate so they can tie it it together. I wonder how inter connected the stories will be.

Kate Welch said in the AP announcement panel that the Baldur's Gate portion is just one chapter, a Gazetteer of the city: sufficient to launch a campaign, but most of the book is focused on Hell. Probably going to have a strong connection, but not strict overlap.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Granted nothing has been confirmed yet, but... this is big news for a few different reasons:

1) We're going to get Baldur's Gate III.
2) It's being made by Larian, a major gaming studio with two very successful CRPG releases under their belt.
3) A major gaming studio is licensing D&D, which is a very good sign for the brand. Look at it this way: Larian has their own IP, Divinity, which is both very successful and free for them to use, since they own it. That they would license D&D suggests that the brand is worth a lot of money right now. Ordinarily, a studio in their position wouldn't bother to license another company's IP unless it were a guaranteed money-maker (think Star Wars, Marvel Comics, etc.). So... D&D's star continues to rise.

We know that there's a big announcement coming up, and BG III has always been high on the speciation list. This definitely seems to point in that direction, and Larian would be one of the top choices to produce it, as the Divinity games are spiritual successors to the BG games...

The Divinity games are not much like the BG games. If anything they're spiritual successors to the Ultima games.

jgsugden

Legend
Kate Welch said in the AP announcement panel that the Baldur's Gate portion is just one chapter, a Gazetteer of the city: sufficient to launch a campaign, but most of the book is focused on Hell. Probably going to have a strong connection, but not strict overlap.
The story is about dragging Baldur's Gate into Avernus. While most of the adventure may take place in Hell, that does not mean that a good portion of it might not also take place in Baldur's Gate.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'm guessing there will be some kind of link between the campaign and the video game: there's clearly the symbol of Bhaal in the background of the book cover.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases