Uneasy Partnerships

The gaming industry is generally a very helpful and friendly place. But sometimes relationships can be strained between the very people whose partnership is the heart of the industry: producers and retailers. In the age of digital publishing and internet ordering, it has become harder and harder to do well as a games retailer. In this article I hope to offer some insight into where the difficulties in the industry lie to help customers support both retailers and games producers.

[h=3]The Problem with PDFs[/h]Digital products are brilliant and have actually saved me from serious injury. I used to carry a full set of 7th Sea books to my gaming sessions and now I just bring a core book and an iPad. My back has thanked me ever since. Bookmarking has made them really quick to use and they a much cheaper than a hard copy. But the problem is retailers can’t sell them very easily. I’ve noticed a lot of my purchases these days are digital and that doesn’t help my local game store.

Sadly, short of banning PDFs there isn’t much to be done, and you can’t put the genie back in the bottle even if you want to. Luckily most gamers want a hard copy book to actually play the game with, and PDFs have yet to make a dent in board game sales. But one thing that can make a difference is ‘Bits and Mortar’. This site carries a collection of PDFs and allows stores to duplicate the offer a lot of games companies make of ‘free PDF with the book’. If your local store doesn’t know about it, get them to check it out. If your favorite games company doesn’t use it, ask them to give it a try.
[h=3]The Giants[/h]Games can be very expensive, and it can be tough for many gamers to afford the books they want. It’s not surprising that Amazon does very well by offering the lowest price. But if there is only a couple of bucks difference, I encourage you to make your purchase from a games retailer or producer. Amazon isn’t offering lower prices out of the goodness of their heart, or because games retailers are mean and greedy. They can simply afford to cut their profit margin in a way retailers can’t. It has also been alleged that Amazon has also used its weight to push suppliers to offer lower prices too.

This is good for the customer, but not for the retailers and producers. If you want them to survive, they need your business, and cutting prices to match is often just a quicker way to see them fail. I’m reminded of a customer who asked a retailer I know at a convention about a game. The retailer spent quite some time explaining the game and detailing how it worked. To which the customer responded joyfully with ‘wow, you’ve really sold me on this. I’m going straight back to my hotel room to order it on Amazon’. It was like he thought the retailer got a cut. They don’t, they just spend less time helping customers who might buy stuff from them.
[h=3]Direct Sales[/h] What has been a godsend to producers is a problem for retailers. The internet means that most companies can offer their products to the customer directly. This might mean special deals although most do keep to retailer prices. While it helps producers make more money by cutting a layer out of the supply chain, it makes the supply chain a lot shorter.

There isn’t really a simple answer to this, as producers are in just as much need of your hard-earned dollars as retailers are. But if you can try and spread your purchases, it will benefit the industry as a whole. Retailers will always have the advantage of being able to talk to you about the games, so use that and get more value for money from your purchase. If you back Kickstarters, remind the creators to add retailer levels to get the books out in stores. Plenty of successful Kickstarters essentially hoover up all the potential sales. Retailer levels are a vital lifeline.
[h=3]Games Diversity[/h]There are a lot of games out there, and the best sellers are not always the best games. If people don’t talk to retailers about what they are playing, they won’t know to order it. This is one of the advantages retailers have over producers, and it’s the smaller producers getting hurt with fewer retail orders. While some large retailers can collect almost everything, many smaller ones have a very limited shelf space. If they are only stocking Pathfinder, it’s probably because that’s popular. If retailers aren’t stocking a game, it should be no surprise that people aren’t buying it very much. If you tell them you are playing Blue Rose, they may make a point of ordering a few copies. In this way, not only can you get the games you want locally, but someone else might see a new game on the shelf and try it out.
[h=3]Introduce New People[/h]Finally, the best way we can help the industry in every way is to find more gamers. Introduce more people to the hobby and help them get started. Then, like the rest of us, they will be looking to spend their money on more dice and books, and that’s good for everyone.

This article was contributed by Andrew Peregrine (Corone) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Andrew Peregrine

Andrew Peregrine

Hussar

Legend
Retail obviously is having all sorts of issues, and it's hardly limited to game retailers.

I guess my question is, is this a bad thing? That might be cold and cruel, but, at the end of the day, isn't that how capitalism works? Sure, I could talk to a retailer about a new game, or, I could do a google search and see a thousand different opinions about the game, probably watch a youtube video or ten of people actually playing the game (particularly board games) and then make a decision.

Not to be a jerk here, but, what do I need a game retailer for?

coz

Explorer
Retail obviously is having all sorts of issues, and it's hardly limited to game retailers.

I guess my question is, is this a bad thing? That might be cold and cruel, but, at the end of the day, isn't that how capitalism works? Sure, I could talk to a retailer about a new game, or, I could do a google search and see a thousand different opinions about the game, probably watch a youtube video or ten of people actually playing the game (particularly board games) and then make a decision.

Not to be a jerk here, but, what do I need a game retailer for?

Yes it's a bad thing. Amazon doesn't create community. Amazon and Walmart and B&N and Target and... all might sell the books, but none of them offer space to play the games, none of them offer a meeting place in meat-space for gamers to gather and talk and play games. If you're into magic, sure you can buy draft packs at Wally-world, but when was the last time you ever saw them offer a draft (never)? If you have an FLGS and you choose to shop at Amazon then you are the problem! Frankly, you should only shop at your FLGS, the publisher directly and DTRPG. Anywhere else is doing much more harm than good. Where will we go to meet and play when the last FLGSes close? Who will support our (especially local) cons when there's no FLGSes. Where would we go for FreeRPGDay, Tabletop Day or GM's day? I would pay a premium over MSRP at my FLGS if it helped them stay open. I game four nights a week at my FLGS, I would never have that much gaming at my age (40) if not for the space offered by my FLGS - it's the most (and best) gaming I've had since graduating college (where we could and did play 6-7 nights a week).

Despite new people being introduced to gaming via Critical role and other streams and casts, the FLGS is still an important part of making new gamers - sure they can go to Amazon once they get hooked on CR - but where will they go to play?

tldr: stop killing the FLGS, buy local, play local!

AriochQ

Adventurer
I imagine game stores are going to expand their income streams if they want to stay afloat. Essentially, they need to monetize play space/community. We have a local game store that seems to have a good model to monetize play space. Every $20 spent gets a play token. You could also just buy the token for $2.50, but it isn't that hard to find $20 worth of stuff to buy at a game store lol. When someone runs an RPG, each player gives the GM their token. The GM then turns them into the store for store credit, 6 tokens are worth $15 in store credit. Not bad compensation for running a game.

I know some people balk at paying for play space, but this seems an entirely reasonable model to me. Essentially, if you are already buying product, you get the token for free. But, if you never buy anything, you can pony up $2.50 for a seat.

Last edited by a moderator:

BrewinDruid

First Post
I have ordered from Amazon for most of my 5e books. To be honest, I feel bad about it and haven't done it in months, but here in Canada the prices are WAY lower. Retail for the books are usually around $60, but I can get them on Amazon for $35-40. It seems to be like that only with 5e, however, as I have gotten all of my CoC and PF from local places for cheaper than Amazon. Another reason I order online is that neither of FLGSs (there are two) carry any RPG beyond 5e, PF and Star Wars as they both focus of trading cards. I suppose, being an RPG player I can complain about that, but that's what brings the money in, and unfortunately, RPGs tend to get left by the wayside.

MaskedGuy

Explorer
I might be wrong, but I kinda feel like "Friendly Local Game Shop" is more of American thing? I mean, at least I don't have emotional connection to local game shops or ever have met new friends there or played roleplaying games there(they mostly play trading card games there or warhammer or mech warrior type of tactics games). I think they are nice for avoiding expensive shipping costs though. Anyway, pdfs can't replace boardgames, but I definitely don't need more heavy books because I'm already running out of space because of them.

BnaaUK

Explorer
Yeah, in my experience gaming shops weren't exactly friendly.

The one I used to go to never seemed to host games, once or twice it hard tiny cards for people looking for players or GMs.

But largely, my biggest memory was of a sales assistant telling me why the thing I wanted to buy sucked and that nothing was as good as his homebrew system. Friendly indeed.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Well, Dr Nos in Marietta Ga. is awesome - comics, cards, games of all types (rpg and board games) and game space....then the staff is amazing....if you are in the area visiting, check them out!

jib916

Explorer
Who will support our (especially local) cons when there's no FLGSes.

Do Conventions really rely on FLGS like you think? Are you talking about sponsorship's? (Or Perhaps Exhibit Hall rental spaces?)

These things charge admission and also attract a large crowd that does not visit their local FLGS. (Including myself mainly a Roll20 player)

I do suggest supporting your FLGS, but think conventions would be fine without them.

I think this is a regional issue....during my years in Seattle, for example ('95-'05), I remember very few game stores had play spaces or encouraged gamers to come in and play. But when I moved to Albuquerque, NM I migrated my group from home to the immense store space for gaming (the FLGS has a giant area for hosting games and tournaments) and never looked back; today we only play at a home location out of desperation, and I have met most of my gaming social circle thanks to the game stores....I would pretty much be dead in the water today if I was forced to rely on the internet to construct a gaming group and would hate to have to go back to hosting from home (I do not have the space to entertain a table full of gamers).

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases