News Digest: Snippets of Pathfinder 2nd Ed Teased at PaizoCon, Cyberpunk Red Starter Set Gets Releas

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! Pathfinder 2nd Ed previews, Cyberpunk Red release information, Alien RPG pre-orders open, and more!
A few details about Pathfinder 2nd Edition surfaced at PaizoCon this past weekend. Attendees got cards of “Pathfinder Spoilers”, each featuring a different feat, class ability, heritage power, and more. Several popped up on Twitter with other EN World users posting more in the comments. Some of the “spoilers” include the rules for reactions, the barbarian’s Rage ability, the monk’s Elemental First, and several class feats. What’s just as interesting is what isn’t shown, as there’s one power called a “Weapon Rune 4+” and a “Champion Reaction” though we don’t yet know exactly what these rules are or how they’ll differ from their playtest counterparts. So it looks like we’ve still got a few surprises left waiting for us before the new edition comes out at Gen Con.

Speaking of new editions coming out at Gen Con, R. Talsorian Games released the first details about the new edition of Cyberpunk when they announced the Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit this week. This starter set will include a lore and adventure book detailing the setting (including new screamsheets of in-universe “news” that can be used as adventure hooks), a rulebook with quickstart rules, six pre-generated characters, four maps, and a set of dice (two 10-sided and four 6-sided). No price was listed, but the physical copy will be available at Gen Con on August 1st with a digital version available on DriveThruRPG at the same time. The full core rules will released later this year.

Pre-orders have opened for the Alien Roleplaying Game from Free League. There’s five separate bundles, the standard edition for $49.99 with the core rulebook in hardcover and a free bonus 128-page Cinematic Starter Kit PDF available “within days after purchase”. There will also be a Limited Edition ($89.99), a Standard ($99.99) and Limited Edition Bundle ($139.99) including the GM screen, two sets of dice (10 Base Dice and 10 Stress Dice), a deck of cards for NPCs, gear, and more, and a map and markers pack, and a Company Special Edition Bundle ($249.99) with the same as the Limited Edition bundle with a 27” x 40” poster and the book signed by the entire design team. The pre-order runs until August 4, though the final release date hasn’t been announced.

Ultra-Pro announced a new line of plastic figures, the Figurines of Wondrous Power. The first two available will be the Owlbear and Red Dragon made of solid vinyl similar in style to the various collectible shelf figures like the Funko lines. The first two figures will be available this September for $12.99. Four more figures will be released before the end of the year, with a further expansion of the line in 2020. I know there's not a lot of details here, but just look at how cute that is!! I couldn't not cover it!

Fantasy Flight released two new previews of the upcoming Legend of the Five Rings sourcebook Court of Stone. The first provides a look at the Deer Clan, a minor clan subtle masters of manipulation to steer events based on their divine visions. Deer Clan walks a tightrope in Rokugan society, observing events and playing both sides until finding the perfect moment to nudge so they come out on top or, if necessary, when to strike. Of course, the larger focus of the sourcebook is on the fortresses and courts of the nobles of Rokugan, and the second preview speaks of The Winter Court, Bonds, and the laws of Courtesy. One new option is the Bonds, allowing two characters to be linked by a deep connection stronger even than death. And of course, what is court without the rules of society that allow even the deadliest of enemies to at least put on the appearance of peaceful interaction. The Court of Stone sourcebook is due out this summer with a retail price of $39.95.

atmc-banner.png

More details about EN Publishing’s upcoming kickstarter for the revised A Touch of Class and brand-new A Touch More Class for 5e came out. We’ve now got a full list of all the classes and details about each plus an art preview and more. The revised A Touch of Class includes the Alchemist, Cardcaster, Diabolist, Feywalker, Morph, Noble, and Occultist; and if you’ve already purchased it either through its original Kickstarter or through digital outlets, the revised PDF is going out free. The new A Touch More Class gives us the Bloodweaver, Fatebender, Gemini, Geomancer, Gunfighter, Lodestar, Monster Tamer, Savant, and Tinkerer. If you want to know more about it (or maybe snag a copy of Luna-1 for Judge Dredd and the Worlds of 2000 AD), you can find Morrus at UK Games Expo this weekend! Or you can wait a month or so for the Kickstarter to launch. Oh, and the usual disclosure, EN Publishing is the game development and publishing arm of EN World.

[video=youtube;A9DJ_u1kFWg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9DJ_u1kFWg[/video]​

In a bit of shameless self-promotion, I released a video review of the Shadowrun Sixth World Beginner Box this past weekend. Yes, this is an expansion on my previous written review that goes into a lot more detail about the new rules and extrapolating what that means for the new sixth edition. While Catalyst hasn’t announced a release date yet, the boxed set will be available at Origins on June 12-16 with a full release shortly thereafter.

The Vegas Pro Creative Freedom Bundle only has four days left! If you’re looking to get into video production at any point in the future to make your own product reviews, live stream archives, let’s play videos, or anything else; you want to pick up this bundle as it is the cheapest you’re going to find an easy-to-use video editing suite with $788 worth of software available for just $25. And there’s only three days left in the Computer Graphics Bundle, a trove of over $700 worth of books on creating digital graphics and 3D models. If you’ve ever wanted to create art for your games – whether it’s just for you or for something you want to publish – this is the perfect place to start.

Wow is it a big week for Kickstarters. First we’ve got Grimmerspace, the new sci-fi/horror setting for Starfinder from Iron GM Games. I’m sure you’ve heard plenty about the setting already, but the Kickstarter itself is rather interesting as it’s packed with useful material for a full product line beyond what you might want even if the idea of a gritty, horrific sci-fi setting of the style of Dead Space isn’t for you. A book of to-scale dry-erase battlemaps with a special lay-flat binding, reusable vinyl stick-ons for area effects and details like blood and ooze splatter, and tie-ins from Paizo for the Starfinder Beginner Box and Gaming Paper for rolls of hex paper and square grids. There’s a plethora of pledge levels and add-ons for whatever you might be interested in, but the big pledge levels are $20 for the full set of books in PDF and $40 for the print copy of the setting book. This Kickstarter runs until Sunday, June 23.

There’s also the Traveller 5th Edition Core Rules reprint that’s in its final days. The most recent edition of the original line of the Traveller line (not to be confused with Mongoose’s version of the game). This new printing is like the game’s original iconic boxed set with the same minimalist black cover design and split into three books, Characters and Combat, Starships, and Worlds and Adventures. The PDF is available for a $30 pledge, and the physical edition with a slipcover and CDROM with the PDFs (as well as a digital download) for $100. This project is fully funded and runs until Thursday, June 6.

Many have tried to fill the hole in the market left by the board game HeroQuest as an introductory adventure game, but none has looked as promising as Altar Quest, a cooperative dungeon crawl adventure board game. One to four players take on the roles of heroes attempting to stop the minions of the evil lich queen Szera from corrupting the divine power of the “rhunes”, crystals that hold the power of creation itself. There’s only one pledge level of $109 for the base game (which is constantly being upgraded through stretch goals for more characters, monsters, minis, and terrain), but there’s a few add-ons including the first expansion for the game, Ruins of Arkenspire, for $35. This Kickstarter is over a quarter million dollars with more stretch goals to unlock before it funds on Tuesday, June 25.

That’s all from me for this week! Don’t forget to support our Patreon to bring you more gaming news content. If you have any news to submit, email us at news@enworldnews.com, and you can get more discussion of the week’s news on Morrus’ Unofficial Tabletop RPG Talk every week. You can follow me on Twitch to see more of Thela Iwidia, Chiss Jedi Knight in Star Wars: The Old Republic, subscribe to Gamer’s Tavern on YouTube for videos on gaming history (such as my recent video on the history of Dragonlance), RPG reviews, and gaming Let’s Plays, or you can listen to the archives of the Gamer’s Tavern podcast. Until next time, may all your hits be crits! Note: Links to Amazon, Humble Store, Humble Bundle, and/or DriveThru may contain affiliate links with the proceeds going to the author of this column.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Ramaster

Adventurer
"Weapon Rune 4+" means that the most basic rune in this category is lvl 4, but there are higher level runes that follow these rules. From the format one can assume that it's an item, not a power.

As the Paladin has been renamed Champion and can be of multiple alignments ("Paladin" is the name of the LG version) "Champion Reaction" means a reaction available to members of this class.

lyle.spade

Adventurer
The Alien QuickStart PDF is 168 pages, not 128 as listed above. I bought and have read it, and about 40 pages are the intro adventure and related sheets. It’s quite good.

I'd love to back Grimmerspaced but there's no prior history of Kickstarters for the creator, which means I can't back it (I only back KS's with a proven track records of prior demonstrable success). Does the creator have other works in circulation showing an ability to start and complete projects? Grimmerspace looks really impressive, I'd like to back it, I just can't afford to accidentally back a project where someone flakes out.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'd love to back Grimmerspaced but there's no prior history of Kickstarters for the creator, which means I can't back it (I only back KS's with a proven track records of prior demonstrable success). Does the creator have other works in circulation showing an ability to start and complete projects? Grimmerspace looks really impressive, I'd like to back it, I just can't afford to accidentally back a project where someone flakes out.

Grimmerspace is going off of celebrity power to a large extent — Wesley Snipes and Sean Astin are creative developers on the project (though Snipes seems absent in the Kickstarter info), and artists include Larry Elmore. Many might pick it up just to see what Kind of gaming material they come up with. Other names attached to the project, Richard Pett for example, are extremely high-quality Pathfinder writers, so there’s a lot of high quality talent attached.

gyor

Legend
"Weapon Rune 4+" means that the most basic rune in this category is lvl 4, but there are higher level runes that follow these rules. From the format one can assume that it's an item, not a power.

As the Paladin has been renamed Champion and can be of multiple alignments ("Paladin" is the name of the LG version) "Champion Reaction" means a reaction available to members of this class.

The NG one is called the Redeemer and the Choatic Good one is called the Liberator. A Neutral class and an evil class will come later.

ogro

First Post
This picture in Cyberpunk Red announcement....where did it come from? Because it is Ciri there, from The Witcher!!! Is it some easteregg about the game, or maybe about Cyberpunk 2077?

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
You know what would be awesome? A game looking to fill the HeroQuest void that is actually as simple and easy to play as HeroQuest. The AltarQuest game looks good, but involves what seems like 6,000 different card decks to play. It isn't unworkable, but man, it looks super complicated for a basic dungeon crawl.

It's a concern only because my main gaming partner (with whom I am rapidly exhausting all the old HeroQuest expansions) is a 5 year old.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases