Players 'distressed' by gang-rape role-playing game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
Seems to me that the level of stupid/ignorance required to run such a scenario is justification in itself for a permaban. Even if the git apologizes and claimed reform, you just couldn't trust his judgement enough to know if he actually understood what that meant....who knows what else he might set up for the "shock value".

G

Guest 6801328

The guy already has two strikes:
1) Running that moronic scenario.
2) Trying to weasel out of any responsibility.

Hussar

Legend
DannyA said:
Well, to be fair, not all screwups at work are a one and done firing offense. SOME are, but not all.

Well, sure. But, I'm fairly sure that if my screw up at work makes BBC news, then, I'm probably going to be clearing out my desk on Monday. :D

But, my point was, folks get fired for screwing up. This guy screwed up, regardless of how badly you think he did. He made the con look bad and brought a lot of bad publicity to the event. How would firing this guy be a completely unreasonable reaction?

5ekyu

Hero
John Dodd, in charge of RPGs at UKGE, and other expos, and the investigator in this case, has written this Blog Post, I hope the last word on the matter:
http://millionwordman.blogspot.com/2019/06/on-inappropriate-content-in-games-and.html
I will reply to the info in that blog that was new... if I read it right, the GM in question **was** the sanctioned by the con and identified room monitor.

That puts the whole"why not report directly to con" vs social media and word of mouth in a whole different light to me.

"The reason why the Room Captain didn’t step in on the game when it went sideways is because the GM in question was the Room Captain, he’d earned that position with years of good work and trust."

Given how much emphasis got placed on how the victims did not go to con officials first - if this bit is true - I think its optimistic to think this will be the last word.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That puts the whole "why not report directly to con" vs social media and word of mouth in a whole different light to me.

I am not sure where you are going with this, but let us be clear that the room captain was by no means the only way that the con had to contact them directly.

From the UKGE's page, titled "Keeping you safe":

How to get Help
What to do if you have a problem, grievance or complaint: Ask a Blue Shirt!

Help desks: There is a help desk in Hall 1, Hall 2 and in the Hilton Hotel Library Room. These are manned by 'Blue Shirts'. Blue Shirts are worn by our ambassadors. The ambassadors sole job is to help you the visitor. Just go along and ask for help.

Away from the help desks any visitors who encounter an event or experience that causes distress or discomfort or makes them feel unsafe or threatened or anyone who just needs advise and assistance may report it to any of our Yellow Shirt Volunteers, to our Green Shirted Team Leaders or to the Blue Shirted Ambassadors all of which will attempt to resolve the matter.

Roleplaying Room Captains

Each room in the roleplaying area has an easily identifiable room captain whose role is to keep the rooms under observation and take action in the event of any problems. They can be approached by any player or GM who wished to raise an issue.

And yes, if the room captain has gone off the rails, that does put a dent in one's confidence, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to use the recommended communication paths.

The last time I had to report an issue at a convention, the issue was with a member of the security staff. The *rest* of the security staff, however, did not take it lightly, and the guy was dealt with satisfactorily.

5ekyu

Hero
I am not sure where you are going with this, but let us be clear that the room captain was by no means the only way that the con had to contact them directly.

From the UKGE's page, titled "Keeping you safe":

And yes, if the room captain has gone off the rails, that does put a dent in one's confidence, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to use the recommended communication paths.

The last time I had to report an issue at a convention, the issue was with a member of the security staff. The *rest* of the security staff, however, did not take it lightly, and the guy was dealt with satisfactorily.
Perhaps we differ in degrees but, to me, in my experience, having more than one touted to report problems is all well and good *but* for a fair number of folks, seeing that the person in charge of your room is the "problem" would tend to make one look for other avenues. This isxedpecisllybttue if any interactions had been seen - which are common- which made you think those other con folks were friends.

Obviously this I'd not limited to cons snd I think we all might have heard maybe at least one case in our collective lifetimes where reporting to pals or co-workers someone causing a problem did not go well - or as well as bringing it to kore independent scrutiny.

Or maybe that is just me up that has seen that ever.

So, like I said, this for me puts in a different light the dismissal efforts of the issue that target their move to put it into the public eye immediately as opposed to finding another con staffer first.

It also helps keep the "other cons" reaction in a context as well.

But hey, that's just me.

And again, I must preface this with an "if true" since I have no way of knowing.

But someone on the staff as "room captain" claiming to be so unaware that this was outside the acceptable policies raises more questions than just about this GM.

jasper

Rotten DM
Not able to make comments about UK law, but, here in the states, if an organization hires someone with a known history of ABC in situation DEF and then puts him back in a similar position of representation and it occurs again, their legal liabilities go through the roof.

With the publicity this one has gotten it would be hard to even get a "we didnt know" to pass against negligence.

That is ignoring the potential for reputation damage to their con.

I cannot imagine any convention who would see the upside of letting this fellow get to run a game officially at their event as worth that risk.
Oh really. I only knew about it due ONE facebook post and this thread. Sorry Enworld, you not big enough for all con organizers to touch base with you. As to facebook post, I always suspect FB posts. Even if link to a news article. It takes two before I even think the post is truth.
And what happens when Con A bans Jasper Taylor Stupid for being a scummy piece of trash. Then Con B bans Jasper Todd Stupid because they did not do a full name check. Then Con B takes to social media an ruins Jasper Todd rep by stating they ban him for his actions at Con A.

edit to add
From the blog post. ...Twelve of those people had the wrong name…
And people ask why I use Social media not so seriously.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Well, sure. But, I'm fairly sure that if my screw up at work makes BBC news, then, I'm probably going to be clearing out my desk on Monday. :D

But, my point was, folks get fired for screwing up. This guy screwed up, regardless of how badly you think he did. He made the con look bad and brought a lot of bad publicity to the event. How would firing this guy be a completely unreasonable reaction?
You are firing a dude for something which did not happen at his place of work, did not involve his work business. Sorry Mr. Hussar here is box of stuff, the bobby will walk you to personel to pick up your last paycheck. The Boss saw you moon the winning side at last night's Super bowl. There is a reason some places do not allow a morality clause in your employment contract/ hr polices.

I

Immortal Sun

You are firing a dude for something which did not happen at his place of work, did not involve his work business. Sorry Mr. Hussar here is box of stuff, the bobby will walk you to personel to pick up your last paycheck. The Boss saw you moon the winning side at last night's Super bowl. There is a reason some places do not allow a morality clause in your employment contract/ hr polices.

I'm fairly certain when Hussar says this DM was "fired" he means he was fired from the convention, not from ya know, his personal job at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases