Players 'distressed' by gang-rape role-playing game

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is, strangely, a rather wide chasm between "We should trust that they feel what they feel and we are not in a position to argue otherwise." and "They're a bunch of whiny babies."

I have no idea why there would be such a difference between these positions though.

Also, your continued mischaracterization of the situation is annoying. In case my sarcastic tone was unclear.

I was giving my reaction of an account of the situation that I had just been pointed to. And that fed into some points about a broader discussion over gaming community issues. All I was saying about it was that particular moment raised my suspicions and it just seemed an odd reaction to me. It doesn’t mean I think the account is flat wrong. The account by the GM also has things in it that raise my suspicions. My view of this stuff is it can take time to weigh and consider conflicting accounts. I doubt there is any deliberate deception here but people do often focus on the things they want to see, read situations differently, etc.

also if you think I have mischaracterized something feel free to point it out. There is a lot of information in the story and totally possible I got something wrong.

There is, strangely, a rather wide chasm between "We should trust that they feel what they feel and we are not in a position to argue otherwise." and "They're a bunch of whiny babies."

I am not saying people are whiny babies. And in this particular case I have only a vague description of cries being had by all. I don’t know who is a survivor of what in the scenario. But the thing that makes me pause is there is an entire group of adults crying over content that arose in the game. If it were just the person at the table, it would make more sense to me. But I think there is s more nuanced spectrum between the two poles you present.

I

Immortal Sun

also if you think I have mischaracterized something feel free to point it out. There is a lot of information in the story and totally possible I got something wrong.

I would....but several people much more familiar with the situation have already been attempting to do that and my mild amusement at your resistance to their efforts has worn out.

So, no.

I

Immortal Sun

I am not saying people are whiny babies.

Well, you should probably pick between if you're going to engage in an honest discussion or if you'd like to be known as a liar. Why?

Well because these are your words:
I think people are mixing up what I am saying here. I am not saying a rape survivor crying is abnormal. I am saying a group of people crying in that way, together, as half of them are in a position of authority handling the situation, strikes me as very non-adult. I am saying something about the interview sets off alarm bells for me. You don't have to share that feeling. But I don't have to adopt your interpreting of it either.
Now, I don't know about you, but typically when you say people are "crying like non-adults" that's a overly verbose way of saying "crying like babies".

So your choice, are you a liar or a liar?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Can't believe I just spent an hour reading this thread. I'm so creeped out that I struggle to type in complete sentences.

Re: Calling it satire or "not for kids" makes it okay. Right? Amirite?
Re: If you're offended, that's your problem
Re: "attention seeking" survivors of violence
Re: deciding how others should react to this or anything else
Re: the inevitable ad hominem fallacy
Re: "Let's have an Honest DiscussionTM about this"

Nope. All the nope. This is all garbage and you know it.
Some folks should be ashamed of themselves.

Re: "attention seeking" survivors of violence

The player interviewed who I was reacting to never mentioned being a survivor of sexual violence in the interview. It is possible this person is a sexual violence survivor. But I don't think we can leap to that conclusion (unless I missed something in the interview). I did see in the interview that the player was given a job with the con establishing safety guidelines in the wake of this. Again, to me some of these things just raise red flags.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
No, you're being a dingus and everybody else has been rightfully calling you out on it. Most of those people have been mincing their words, but I won't, so here goes. You :):):):)ing suck, my dear :):):):).

That language is inappropriate, and unacceptable. Do not post in this thread again.

Anyone else think they want to try to push the limits? This person is getting booted from the thread. The next will probably get a vacation from the site, with no warning or prior discussion. If you cannot figure out that you need to be on your best behavior when having a sensitive discussion, you have no business in the discussion

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The player interviewed who I was reacting to never mentioned being a survivor of sexual violence in the interview.It is possible this person is a sexual violence survivor. But I don't think we can leap to that conclusion (unless I missed something in the interview).

Dude. If it was a woman, you don't have to leap, because of the statistics involved.

One in five women are raped at some point in their lives. 43% of heterosexual women report experiencing some sexual violence other than rape.* This stuff is so darned common, they don't even have to experience it to have a valid strong reaction, because they live in fear of it throughout their lives.

And you claim to be compassionate? How much effort do you want to put into trying to justify discounting the testimony?

But then again, I suppose it isn't a whole lot of effort. All you have to do is type. So, so easy for you.

*Statistics from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center, 2015.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Flying ad-hominems abounding?
Profanity filter triggering?
Opening of painful personal or near-personal wounds?

Methinks it’s time to put this one down...until it rises again.

adracula.gif

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases