Players 'distressed' by gang-rape role-playing game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The point is that being old does not equate with being good.

Ah, but in this case, it isn't just old. It is older than our species, and it is unlikely that we can have a functioning society without it.

Shame is perhaps the single largest way that social primates control group behavior. We have shame *for a reason* - we need a feedback mechanism to be able to get people to adjust their behavior.

I mean, think of it - think of what the behavior of a person who literally had no shame would be like. Do you think this person would be a constructive member of society?

Michele

Villager
A sociopath by definition is not a constructive member of society. But I do notice that sociopaths also get dealt with by our societies by the alternative means I mentioned.

Of course, if we were all sociopaths, then things would be harder.

Note my main complaint about social shaming isn't that it's wrong. But that it can very easily be based on wrong information.
We are all mightily concerned by fake news today, and nobody is worried that the input of a social shaming campaign on social media may be created by just that?
I wouldn't be surprised if slander is also a tradition as long as speech.

5ekyu

Hero
Banning him from the con from life. No problem. Having cons in the UK ban him from Gming. um hell no. And I forget who propose it but having cons put him on a watch list just because he shows up. That is too far.
Not able to make comments about UK law, but, here in the states, if an organization hires someone with a known history of ABC in situation DEF and then puts him back in a similar position of representation and it occurs again, their legal liabilities go through the roof.

With the publicity this one has gotten it would be hard to even get a "we didnt know" to pass against negligence.

That is ignoring the potential for reputation damage to their con.

I cannot imagine any convention who would see the upside of letting this fellow get to run a game officially at their event as worth that risk.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
Did people pay to be at the table with that guy? I know I'd feel cheated if I were stuck at a table with that GM.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Why not?

Really. Why not?

He can still go to the other cons. He can play games. He just can't run them. What is he losing - the chance to run a handful of games a year? Why is that such a big deal? Given that the vast majority of people who go to conventions don't run games anyway, I fail to see how this is so excessive as to merit, "Hell, no."

Simple - it denies the potential for rehabilitation. Used to be that was a liberal value, but now in the extreme shaming culture that has erupted with social media - that's all chucked out the window in favor of the mob's pound of flesh. And as a liberal, the excessiveness, lack of nuance, and rigid unforgiving attitudes that I see piss me off.

Shaming and sanctions have their place, enough to administer appropriate correction. Excessive shaming and sanctions are destructive.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Simple - it denies the potential for rehabilitation. Used to be that was a liberal value, but now in the extreme shaming culture that has erupted with social media - that's all chucked out the window in favor of the mob's pound of flesh. And as a liberal, the excessiveness, lack of nuance, and rigid unforgiving attitudes that I see piss me off.

Shaming and sanctions have their place, enough to administer appropriate correction. Excessive shaming and sanctions are destructive.

The conversation around shaming and rehabilitation often has me split in two directions.

I'll start by saying that shame doesn't work. At least, in the sense that research shows it does a terrible job in changing an individual's behavior. Whether shame acts as a deterrent for others, I cannot say. I would argue that shame isn't the point though; the more important message about the more open and public climate regarding this is "you will not get away with this anymore".

The more conflicting issue I have is with the nature of rehabilitation, chiefly: who's responsibility is it?

On the one hand, I feel that both an institution (such as UKGE) and a broader community (i.e; gamers) have the strongest obligation to make their spaces safe and inclusive. Now, there is disagreement on the virtues of inclusivity, but those disagreements are wrong. It's objectively better for the hobby that our community has grown significantly in size, scope, and diversity. That means making it clear that bad behavior that threatens the safety of members of the community (of which starting a game off with the implication of rape certainly qualifies, whether you'd like to pretend it doesn't or not) needs to met with removal from the institution (UKGE) and potentially removal (through ostracization, if nothing else) from the community.

This certainly does not leave out the possibility for rehabilitation, but it places the onus of rehabilitation on the offender themselves, which requires good faith efforts to (a) recognize the harm of their actions, (b) make good faith efforts to apologize to those harmed, and (c) making the effort to change bad behaviors. This is difficult but hardly impossible; see Dan Harmon for a great example of this playing out. See also James Gunn. As opposed to, you know, running to the guy who penned "In Defense of Rape" to tell your side of the story.

I think there's a more nuanced discussion to be had about whether certain members within the community should also be responsible for aiding and supporting an offenders rehabilitation. Certainly not those individuals who are or would be most impacted by their actions, but certainly people in positions of privilege (cis white straight men, specifically) who could do more to step up, reach out to perpetrators, and help them understand why their behavior is wrong. I would definitely not agree that it's the responsibility of women, for example, to reform misogynists, serial harassers or sexual offenders, for example. Note that I'm aware there are people who are doing just that (I know Danny, for instance, has a lot of respect for the black man who goes around talking to and deprogramming KKK members), but that doing that kind of work as the target of people's bad behaviors takes a superhuman emotional effort, and nobody should be held up to that kind of standard. People are allowed to prioritize their safety, physical, mental, or otherwise.

I also don't think social ostracization precludes the possibility of rehabilitation. The research showing that shame often has a net negative effect on individual behavior certainly makes it less likely, which is why it sometimes gives me pause, but again, I think that both individuals and communities have a stronger obligation to prioritize their safety than they do in rehabilitating bad actors. And again, while it makes the rehabilitation harder... so? Do we have an obligation to make rehabilitation easy? Shouldn't it take effort and work?

And is there a difference between what is right and what is practical?

I agree that this is a complicated and complex issue where the right answer lies between "gtfo forever goodbye" and "everyone deserves a good faith second chance guys!" And I think we're still stumbling our way to that right answer. But we don't get there by just ignoring it or sweeping it under the rug or putting our fingers in our collective ears and screaming "this doesn't concern me!"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Simple - it denies the potential for rehabilitation. Used to be that was a liberal value

If you are going to try to make this political, please leave the thread now before you get booted. There will be precious little pataience for this.

This is not about politics or government. This is about how people in our hobby relate to and treat each other.

I hope that is 100% clear to everyone here.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Um... he was using liberal in the classical sense, not in the modern American polemic sense. I know because I'm usually nowhere near [MENTION=3400]billd91[/MENTION] politically, but understand his point about liberal values. It's Enlightenment liberal, not politics liberal.

aramis erak

Legend
There's a "right" kind of group?

That's almost...more disturbing.

There are games where rape is part of the setting, but not a dominant factor in play.

Hell, the namesake family in Pendragon... Arthur is the product of rape by deception (via Merlin's illusion); Mordred is even creepier - his sire was raped by deception, too, and his mother was his father's half-sister. Lancelot is boning his best friend's wife for half the timeline.
And, in a couple spots (in published adventures), players who go a pillaging have to fail lustful or add raping to the glossed over off-screen. (Uther period.)

Some other genres likewise make it reasonable for rape to occur off-screen. Grey Ranks (set in the Ghettos of WW II poland) comes to mind.

As for playing through the rape "on-screen" - in certain groups, with certain situations and prior consent, it can be a powerful (even traumatic) experience. Preludes in Vampire come to mind, and the whole vampire embrace is a metaphor for rape, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases