Players 'distressed' by gang-rape role-playing game - Page 21
Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    Um...

We have a rule against arguing moderation in-thread. Morrus is really quite specific on that point.

Titan (Lvl 27)

Quote Originally Posted by billd91 View Post

Shaming and sanctions have their place, enough to administer appropriate correction. Excessive shaming and sanctions are destructive.
    Of course, one man’s “excessive” is another’s “not quite enough”.

Yes, there are known objective boundaries that delineate where shunning, exclusion and similar social penalties can become harmful, abusive or even torturous- essentially the nonviolent equivalent of the death penalty. But even then, for some people, in certain situations, that is seen as “punishment fitting the offense.”

Consensus on that, then, is probably difficult to achieve....but it’s worth discussing.

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post

We have a rule against arguing moderation in-thread. Morrus is really quite specific on that point.
    Sorry, on tapatalk it's not in color. Missed the tags in the quote block.

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Quote Originally Posted by billd91 View Post
    Simple - it denies the potential for rehabilitation.
    Well, first of all, does it really deny that possibility? We're not talking about banning this individual from DMing, only banning him from doing so during certain periodical public events. He can do as much DMing as he likes outside of those events, and can choose to better himself or not to do so.

And second, how could anyone possibly adjudicate whether or not someone has "rehabilitated" their DMing style? What do you do, sit him down with an Appeal Committee, and have him run a game for them?

Scout (Lvl 6)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
    And second, how could anyone possibly adjudicate whether or not someone has "rehabilitated" their DMing style? What do you do, sit him down with an Appeal Committee, and have him run a game for them?
    I think I mentioned upthread that I think a simple apology should suffice, if it is of the "I am sorry that I hurt people" variety rather than "I am sorry people got hurt."

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    I think I mentioned upthread that I think a simple apology should suffice, if it is of the "I am sorry that I hurt people" variety rather than "I am sorry people got hurt."
    It's a start, but it's hardly a reliable indicator of reformed behaviour. And "But he apologised!" would be a poor excuse for the organisers to fall back on if he was allowed into another con and then caused similar issues.

Titan (Lvl 27)

Again, how is banning someone from running games at a con "excessive" shaming? Seriously? You screwed up, and you don't get to do that activity anymore at that place. Seems pretty standard to me.

I mean, if I screw up at work, I get fired and I don't get to work at that place anymore. How is this any different?

Titan (Lvl 27)

Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    Again, how is banning someone from running games at a con "excessive" shaming? Seriously? You screwed up, and you don't get to do that activity anymore at that place. Seems pretty standard to me.

I mean, if I screw up at work, I get fired and I don't get to work at that place anymore. How is this any different?
    Well, to be fair, not all screwups at work are a one and done firing offense. SOME are, but not all.

Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz View Post
    Well, to be fair, not all screwups at work are a one and done firing offense.
    Well, also to be fair, this guy was not an employee, and firing him was not denying him a paycheck.