Players 'distressed' by gang-rape role-playing game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Shaming and sanctions have their place, enough to administer appropriate correction. Excessive shaming and sanctions are destructive.

Of course, one man’s “excessive” is another’s “not quite enough”.

Yes, there are known objective boundaries that delineate where shunning, exclusion and similar social penalties can become harmful, abusive or even torturous- essentially the nonviolent equivalent of the death penalty. But even then, for some people, in certain situations, that is seen as “punishment fitting the offense.”

Consensus on that, then, is probably difficult to achieve....but it’s worth discussing.

MarkB

Legend
Simple - it denies the potential for rehabilitation.

Well, first of all, does it really deny that possibility? We're not talking about banning this individual from DMing, only banning him from doing so during certain periodical public events. He can do as much DMing as he likes outside of those events, and can choose to better himself or not to do so.

And second, how could anyone possibly adjudicate whether or not someone has "rehabilitated" their DMing style? What do you do, sit him down with an Appeal Committee, and have him run a game for them?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
And second, how could anyone possibly adjudicate whether or not someone has "rehabilitated" their DMing style? What do you do, sit him down with an Appeal Committee, and have him run a game for them?
I think I mentioned upthread that I think a simple apology should suffice, if it is of the "I am sorry that I hurt people" variety rather than "I am sorry people got hurt."

MarkB

Legend
I think I mentioned upthread that I think a simple apology should suffice, if it is of the "I am sorry that I hurt people" variety rather than "I am sorry people got hurt."

It's a start, but it's hardly a reliable indicator of reformed behaviour. And "But he apologised!" would be a poor excuse for the organisers to fall back on if he was allowed into another con and then caused similar issues.

Hussar

Legend
Again, how is banning someone from running games at a con "excessive" shaming? Seriously? You screwed up, and you don't get to do that activity anymore at that place. Seems pretty standard to me.

I mean, if I screw up at work, I get fired and I don't get to work at that place anymore. How is this any different?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Again, how is banning someone from running games at a con "excessive" shaming? Seriously? You screwed up, and you don't get to do that activity anymore at that place. Seems pretty standard to me.

I mean, if I screw up at work, I get fired and I don't get to work at that place anymore. How is this any different?
Well, to be fair, not all screwups at work are a one and done firing offense. SOME are, but not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases