Players 'distressed' by gang-rape role-playing game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley37

First Post
Hell, the namesake family in Pendragon... Arthur is the product of rape by deception (via Merlin's illusion); Mordred is even creepier - his sire was raped by deception, too, and his mother was his father's half-sister. Lancelot is boning his best friend's wife for half the timeline.

You have a strong point about what's already in the mix of existing TRPGs. That said, I see a difference between rape and infidelity. Arthur discovering that Lancelot and Guinevere have an affair is one thing. Arthur discovering that Lancelot has taken Guinevere against her consent, by threat or force, is another thing entirely!

jasper

Rotten DM
I'm fairly certain when Hussar says this DM was "fired" he means he was fired from the convention, not from ya know, his personal job at home.
Maybe. But I have seen social media mobs demand work places fire employees for what employees did off work hours.

5ekyu

Hero
Oh really. I only knew about it due ONE facebook post and this thread. Sorry Enworld, you not big enough for all con organizers to touch base with you. As to facebook post, I always suspect FB posts. Even if link to a news article. It takes two before I even think the post is truth.
And what happens when Con A bans Jasper Taylor Stupid for being a scummy piece of trash. Then Con B bans Jasper Todd Stupid because they did not do a full name check. Then Con B takes to social media an ruins Jasper Todd rep by stating they ban him for his actions at Con A.

edit to add
From the blog post. ...Twelve of those people had the wrong name…
And people ask why I use Social media not so seriously.
Not a lawyer.

My bet is no that there is zero liability incurred for refusing to allow someone to run a game or have a position of authority at your con for any reason not explicitly prohibited by law. But that likely varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

This issue in question and the banning from other cons in the UK being mentioned - did hit her, did hit FB, did hit Twitter, did hit reddit and made it to BBC news. Obviously someone could whrn a position of potential liability hits claim ignorance before giving this person a supervisory role and try and get by a possible negligence claim... that's a kill they could choose to fight on... but in my experience there has to be a huge huge upside to having this kind of thing get authority given after an event like this.

You can try and go on or work the other UK cons banning to tweets or whatever, but iirc the "investigator" mentioned that happened. **after** their investigation and tied it to their own relationship to some of those cons.

"Given that I am also RPG manager for Airecon, Dragonmeet, and Longcon, he will also be pulled from those conventions for the foreseeable future, a question many have been asking."

So, whatever.

Last edited:

5ekyu

Hero
Maybe. But I have seen social media mobs demand work places fire employees for what employees did off work hours.
I can get that you may be upset at what you see as injustice in other situations you may have encountered, but this cases seems to have had more to it than just "net rage" and "social media mobs" run amok.

To me, it's a real disservice to those involved in the incident, investigated, tried to find resolutions etc to basically lump it in with what you may see as other cases of unjustified outrage and steps taken.

jasper

Rotten DM
To be more on point
Will a con a have a civil liability, if they take to various social media platforms and Announce Jasper was ban from helping the con due to what happen a Con A. IF they ban the wrong Jasper.

I

Immortal Sun

So? After reading anything in this thread or those articles do you think any of that is happening in this situation?

Riley37

First Post

You say that as if this is a phenomenon which only happens as a result of social media.

Did you hear about that time some professionals in the Hollywood film industry got fired, because of public pressure related to their off-the-job political activity, long before the Internet existed?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

I

Immortal Sun

To be more on point
Will a con a have a civil liability, if they take to various social media platforms and Announce Jasper was ban from helping the con due to what happen a Con A. IF they ban the wrong Jasper.

What the truck does that have to do with anything at all?

jasper

Rotten DM
What the truck does that have to do with anything at all?

Read the freaky blog. from the blog.
What we don’t need is people spreading wild rumour and supposition, consider that I’ve had more than twenty people contact me, both at the show and afterwards, saying that they’d splashed the name of the GM out there, so as to make sure that they could never do it again…
Twelve of those people had the wrong name…
So 12 out of the 20+ people HAD the WRONG NAME. So we have up to 12 GMS who have been slandered. Again What happens when a Con uses BAD SOURCE information to Ban a GM. And announces the ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases