Mythological Figures: Sherlock Holmes (5E) - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Actually, the martial art "baritsu".
    this one there... indeed.

In 4e one could use something like Melee Training (not too glorious sounding) to have ones basic melee governed off of a different base stat, we could have a sherlock with Int based for the Robert Downy Junior hyper predictive intelligence. But that isnt anything fancy. like the character would use (so not perfect)

I seen this done for a Decent Wisdom based Socrates fighter though...

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Its hard to do Sherlock in 5E because many 19th century and early 20th century characters were paragons and have very high stars with a very large skill set and capable of lots of feats.

But for RAW character to play a Sherlock like character this good. I find the savant class interesting and want to study that closer.

One example of Sherlocks strength was when he pulled a metal poker out of a fireplace and bent it back into shape. Although that was an earlier work.
    XP Mike Myler gave XP for this post

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Insight seems somewhat low. NPC's shouldn't be built like PCs, that's one of the good things of 5e

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Quote Originally Posted by John R Davis View Post
    Insight seems somewhat low. NPC's shouldn't be built like PCs, that's one of the good things of 5e
    He's rocking a +6 which isn't bad! You could swap over one of his Expertise proficiencies to make that +11 but I considered him to be more about deducing someone is lying by way of logic, less-so than by picking up on social cues (some--it's a +6--but as a complementary aspect).

As for NPCs shouldn't be built like PCs, check your Dungeon Master's Guide on page 92 (column 2, specifically).

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

I'm far to lazy to build my NPCs like PCs.

However I'm just lazy enough to steal ideas from Mike Mylar.

Another good one! Keep up the good work.
    Laugh Mike Myler, bedir than laughed with this post

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Friendly reminder I do have a website where I post up fan builds that I can't put here in the EN World column (like the cast from Final Fantasy VII or Rick & Morty or Mortal Kombat or...)
    XP BookBarbarian gave XP for this post

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Myler View Post
    He's rocking a +6 which isn't bad! You could swap over one of his Expertise proficiencies to make that +11 but I considered him to be more about deducing someone is lying by way of logic, less-so than by picking up on social cues (some--it's a +6--but as a complementary aspect).

As for NPCs shouldn't be built like PCs, check your Dungeon Master's Guide on page 92 (column 2, specifically).
    This, and also that Holmes gets some of what you might normally think of as Insight type info from his class abilities anyway, and might not use Insight quite as often as a similarly themed non-Savant would. Plus if he uses Analyze Need on Insight he's aces. Analyze Need pretty much answers any question that sounds like "what about this skill?". It's not instantaneous, so some prep and foresight is needed, but it does cover a whole lotta bases.

Holmes perfectly shows that D&D is severely lacking in the skill department. Because of its archaic level system its impossible to have a skilled character who is not at the same time also a strong combatant.

No Observant feat?

Guide (Lvl 11)

He was actually also a boxer (or rather, primarily a boxer), as it's mentioned in numerous stories (including the 2nd novel, where he runs into a boxer he boxed against). His "baritsu" skills were created as an explanation for how he wasn't killed by Moriarty and I don't think ever showed up in anything beyond that story.

He was also very strong (and tall, well over 6 feet is how he is described). However, I don't think he was actually as smart as that. A surprisingly large number of clients died on his watch, and his brother Mycroft is much smarter.

And he should be fairly charismatic. It's often said that he could have been a great actor had he chosen to be one.