What are you Reading? Jejune June 2019 edition

Janx

Hero
Just finished Addleton Heights, a side note is that it name dropped somebody who's in my local Steampunk scene, so I'll have to ask him what that's all about when I see him later this week.

Started Sword of Summer by Ric Riordan on recommendation because it's Norsey like my book-in-progress is.

I thought Sword of Summer a fun read with some neat worldbuilding, though the protagonist was a little too snarky for my tastes.

Just finished Thongor and the Wizard of Lemuria. I know Lin Carter isn’t well thought of as an author, but I’ve enjoyed the heck out of his books. They’re entertaining and weird, and Thongor is no exception.

Next up is Cleopatra: A Life, by Stacy Schiff. I’ve been meaning to read this since I finished Assassins Creed: Origins.

Started Sword of Summer by Ric Riordan on recommendation because it's Norsey like my book-in-progress is.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I sadly could not finish Andre Norton's Sargasso of Space. I just couldn't get into it. After all the fond memories I have of her writing from younger, that was a bit surprising.

I picked up Brief Cases by Jim Butcher, a collection of short stories set in his Dresden Files world. Very enjoyable. Weren't just in the world, they did a good job of adding to it. Almost picked up the first book in the series to reread them all, but Butcher's blog says that he just finished the finale chapter last week on the new one, just one more chapter, wrap-up, to go. I figure I'll reread he series so that I'll have the new one when it's out.

My TBR pile didn't call me, so I grabbed Jennifer Government by Max Berry. I had read it once before, remember it being about a 6 out of 10, and am rereading it with an eye towards purging it. What is the world coming to?

Hey, anyone read Sarah Maas' Throne of Glass? I enjoyed the first, picked up 2-4 but I'm stuck like 3/4 of the way through the second one and haven't touched it in months. Someone who liked the series give me some encouragement so I pick it back up.

Janx

Hero
I thought Sword of Summer a fun read with some neat worldbuilding, though the protagonist was a little too snarky for my tastes.

yeah, it's definitely heavy on the snark. But I'm writing an Urban Fantasy, so those commonly have a sarcastic protagonist

Found out from my wife that this is the same guy who did the Percy Jackson series (saw the first 2 movies).

The pattern I'm seeing is the MC is the son of a God each time. I have no clue if he mixes it up in other series (ex: daughter of goddess or some combination).

Ryujin

Legend
Reading/proofing bits and pieces from the "Fartherall World Bible", which covers the world that many of the Zombie Orpheus Entertainment movies and shorts take place in. Also got a bit of a preview of the JourneyQuest season 4 script :)

Norton’s writing has yet to click for me. I read Forerunner last, and it was just okay. It wasn’t terrible, but it didn’t spark flames.

I read Throne of Glass and liked it well enough. I keep meaning to follow up on the series, but have yet to do so. Maybe if the proposed Hulu series ever happens…

I sadly could not finish Andre Norton's Sargasso of Space. I just couldn't get into it. After all the fond memories I have of her writing from younger, that was a bit surprising.

Hey, anyone read Sarah Maas' Throne of Glass? I enjoyed the first, picked up 2-4 but I'm stuck like 3/4 of the way through the second one and haven't touched it in months. Someone who liked the series give me some encouragement so I pick it back up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases