skill proficiencies point buy

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I might go with 1-3. Low-medium-high. But something like that with a preset and some advice on how to adjust. Heck the preset could just be that all skills are medium.

Yeah, I literally almost went with a 1/2/3 example. 1 or 2 allows for a simple "thumbs up, thumbs down" approach, but I'd tend to lean toward a 1/2/3 , too.

5ekyu

Hero
To me, at the point you start diving into the weeds of skill prices, consolidation into fewer etc, I start to look more fondly at the non-skill dmg options where you gain proficiency bonus for an ability or for your background and you dispense with the skills themselves.

5ekyu

Hero
I dispute your premise. "Many" people? Show me. Name some. Or show me a poll where many people answer that way.
I will counter-challenge.

Show me an rpg system with something like skills broken down for "purchase" where folks, perhaps many hard to say, dont crop up often enough to matter to complain about the "balance."

I have never seen one.

Which gets to the point of... it's really never gonna be "good enough" to satisfy enough that you dont get the vocal minority complaints.

The "good enough" balance wont come from points. It has to come from play.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog

Show me an rpg system with something like skills broken down for "purchase" where folks, perhaps many hard to say, dont crop up often enough to matter to complain about the "balance."

I have never seen one.

Which gets to the point of... it's really never gonna be "good enough" to satisfy enough that you dont get the vocal minority complaints.

You miss the issue with trying to fix the problem at the play level.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

I have never seen one.

We're 5 years into this edition and there is virtually no noise about skills for this edition, and it didn't show up as an issue the surveys detected as a common problem even among a vocal minority.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases