D&D 4E Should I play 4e?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
If you like skills, 4E doesn't seem to care much about them. They're there, and you will use them, but why they weren't worked into the interconnected, balanced system of feats, powers, spells, etc. is beyond me.

If the DM knows how to create and present skill challenges (as outlined in the Rules Compendium, not the DMGs), then skills are very important. Often my players are more terrified of skill challenges than they are of combats!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Call them what you like, there's too much of it and it compilcates the game (too many "powers" to keep track of at a time).
It certainly feels like you've answered your question in the inital post, then! 4e doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

MrDM69

Banned
Banned
Keep in mind the context though, after late 3.5, 4e was a significant reduction in complexity.

I don't know for sure, but many have said that 3.5 was the best edition. I've never played 3.5 or really even looked at any of the books, but I would like to try it. Also when it comes to reductions in complexity, I like how 5e made only one Monster Manual, Player handbook, and Dungeon Master's Guide.

3e is worth giving a shot – it lived on for years after its demise in Pathfinder, after all. But ff you’re going through older editions, I’d put OD&D, BECMI, 1e, and 2e ahead of all the others, for all that my random internet opinion counts.

4e was when I really got back into gaming after one of my lapses. So while I have no small degree of thankfulness for that, I do not care for the system. That being said, it’s worth playing just to experience the experiment that the edition was, maybe with a one-shot or just handful of sessions.

I don't know for sure, but many have said that 3.5 was the best edition. I've never played 3.5 or really even looked at any of the books, but I would like to try it.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Call them what you like, there's too much of it and it compilcates the game (too many "powers" to keep track of at a time).

Ah - so you've already made your decision then. Very good - continue to not play 4e then :)

dave2008

Legend
I've heard that 4e is pretty good, but I want some more opinions before I start playing.

Yes! It is a great game. It brought me back to D&D after a long absence. It seems to work better for newer groups or groups with less investment in the sacred cows of older editions, but it worked great for us.

We are staying with 5e, but there are things I miss about 4e.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Fewer? Yes. Easier to keep track of? Yes. More effective? ...my instinct says this is a misapprehension, but I suppose it depends what you mean by effective.

Anyway, 4e is definitely high on complexity compared to 5e, which is one of the reasons I haven’t gone back to it. Keep in mind the context though, after late 3.5, 4e was a significant reduction in complexity.

If we're talking the 4e PHB fighter I would agree. However, if it's the Essentials fighters, then I'd say they're not any more complex than the 5e fighter. In fact, I'd consider them significantly less complex than something like an Eldritch Knight.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases