D&D 4E Should I play 4e?

Immoralkickass

Adventurer
That's weird, I only hear bad things about 4e. Most of the comments were that "Its too videogamey".

I too know that its probably very hard to find a 4e game to play, so what i did was, I read the 4e PHB. Boy, i can see why they hated it. Wizard fans will probably hate it the most though, they broke so many sacred cows with that class.

Still, I would try playing it if i had the chance.

And feats enabling the use of a class power?
Uhh, multiclassing literally does that.

Reserve Maneuver (sort of).

etc.

Should I play 4e? One thing to consider is whether you are able to form and maintain a group.

Why shouldn't the OP consider that?
Because it's common sense that if you ask about a game that game out in 2008, and has been unsupported for 5 years, you've already considered the potential lack of players.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Uhh, multiclassing literally does that. Reserve Maneuver (sort of). etc. Because it's common sense that if you ask about a game that game out in 2008, and has been unsupported for 5 years, you've already considered the potential lack of players.
People are saying it is a 'terrible argument'. And you're supporting them by saying it is 'common sense'. Okay... Trouble finding players is a reason not to play 4e. Trouble retaining players is also a reason not to play 4e. That's relevant to the question of the thread. If it is common sense why get so bent out of shape about it? Just let the comment pass. No need to go on a tirade.

Tony Vargas

Legend
That's weird, I only hear bad things about 4e.
Well, they didn't call it the Edition War because forum avatars were being militantly nice to it.

Wizard fans will probably hate it the most though, they broke so many sacred cows with that class.
One of the loudest - and briefest - complaints was that it had 'nerfed' the wizard.
But, CharOP pretty quickly figured out that the most powerful/broken builds were still wizards.

Uhh, multiclassing literally does that.

Reserve Maneuver (sort of).

etc.
Oh, of course.

But, it sounded like he was talking 'enable' in a dynamic way, like this round, because of Feat X, I can use class powers C & D instead of A & B.
I must have just misinterpreted.

Lapasta

Explorer
That's weird, I only hear bad things about 4e. Most of the comments were that "Its too videogamey".

I too know that its probably very hard to find a 4e game to play, so what i did was, I read the 4e PHB. Boy, i can see why they hated it. Wizard fans will probably hate it the most though, they broke so many sacred cows with that class.

I’m exactly at the same boat as you. I haven’t played 4E and just heard bad things, but decided to give a try reading the books.
My position at the moment is that it is a great RPG, but as you said, it breaks so many conventions from D&D that I totally understand why it is so hated. Had it gotten any other name it probably wouldn’t have received so much hate as it did (but probably also would not be as famous).

I would love to give it a try and play once, but even my regular 5e group meet so infrequently that I don’t know when I will be able to fit it in.

Saying 4e is "not D&D" is the epitome of edition warring. I aggressively report posts when I see that happening. Just so you know.

And it's been 10 freakin' years, so give it a rest, y'know? You won. 4e "failed". 5e and Pathfinder rein supreme. So lay off.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Saying 4e is "not D&D" is the epitome of edition warring.
It's also one of the more-nearly-valid expressions of discontent from that period. Like over in the MAYA thread. The issue was being so unfamiliar as a consequence of it's numerous, only 20 or 30 years overdue, improvements, that it ended up 'not feeling like D&D.' It /was/ D&D, it said so right on the cover, it was published by the owners of the D&D IP, there's no disputing it. But in a subjective* sense of 'not feeling like it?' Sure.

* and if you label anything a subjective opinion, you can prettymuch get away with it. FREX It's my subjective opinion (or will be my re-animated corpse's subjective opinion c2070) that "D&D 9.5 is the worst thing since the Anderson Station Massacre, that it causes cancer in laboratory womp-rats, and is a plot by the Drahk to sow discord among humans - oh, yeah, and it trolls sci-fi fans by mixing references, too! That's my subjective opinion so you can't say it's not true without insulting me! But, yeah, try playing it if you want, it's your /Ak'voh/"

HJFudge

Explorer
Saying 4e is "not D&D" is the epitome of edition warring. I aggressively report posts when I see that happening. Just so you know.

And it's been 10 freakin' years, so give it a rest, y'know? You won. 4e "failed". 5e and Pathfinder rein supreme. So lay off.

Somehow I am reminded of the quote by Orwell "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.[FONT=helvetica neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"

But then I think: "Oh this is just D&D thats a bit like...extreme and doesn't really equate..."

Then I remember the time someone spit on me, actually spit on me, because I disagreed with them about an opinion of a game (not D&D, but still a tabletop game) and I think "Oh no, it totally applies."

People are nuts, yo.

[/FONT]

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I’m not a 4E fan at all. But I’ll play any system my friends want to play and have a good time. But I’m getting old. Lol

I care more about a good story and time with friends than mechanics or combat anymore.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases