GMing At A Convention

At UK Games Expo last weekend, we ran about 15 one-hour demonstrations of our Judge Dredd & The Worlds of 2000 AD RPG. There were three of us doing the demos - myself, Andy Peregrine, and Al Bell. Each of us had our own little scenario. I ran either four or five sessions in total.

thumbnail_IMG_4648.jpg

Our setup was a small round table at our booth with five chairs, a GM screen, and a bunch of pregenerated characters. You can just about see me on the left at the back of this picture of our UKGE stand, running a game.

In a short, one-hour demo you don't have much time. You have to introduce yourself, explain the game and how it works, and (sometimes) explain what an RPG is. That can eat into your hour, so you try to keep the infodumps to a bare minimum and only give the payers the info they need as they get to it. I was pretty much "Hi, my name is Russ. This is a short one-hour demo of the Judge Dredd RPG. Now, are you all familiar with Judge Dredd?"

I was lucky -- on all but one of my demos, the players were all familiar with Dredd and were keen roleplayers.

The convention hall was LOUD. A lot of the time it was hard to hear what quieter players were saying, and by the end of the second day my voice was shot from having to raise it over the din. It's actually quite tiring, too -- especially when you're demoing, you put your all into that one concentrated hour, and you can be quite drained afterwards.

My demo was short and to the point. Some sentient apes dressed like 1920s gangsters, wielding Tommy guns, had taken over a department store. The team of Judges were sent to to with them. I had each make an AGI (riding) check just to see who got there first and who got there last, and so they'd know what an attribute check looked like. They grasped that quickly.

I ran the same little scenario for each demo, but the players did different things with each. In one they went over the roofs and took out the rocket-launcher wielding gorilla on the roof before working their way down. In another, one rode his Lawmaster motorcycle into a freight lift, ascended to the third floor. Imagine the apes' surprise when the lift doors opened and there was an enormous Lawmaster, cannons primed. Another group broke into the underground parking garage and worked their way up.

Running a game at a convention is immense fun. It's high energy, and challenging because you have no idea who will be playing your game. If you do well, they might buy it, so the pressure is on!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm contemplating running at next year's GenCon just so I know I can get into an event, unless I'm finally willing to say goodbye to GenCon. (Every one of the events we wanted to play sold out in literal seconds, and we had to sign up for events we had no interest in just to find something/anything to do.)
Yeah, I long ago learned that having a mittful of generic tickets and flying standby can be the answer there, as so many people snap up event tickets during registration and then no-show on the day.

Retreater

Legend
Yeah, I long ago learned that having a mittful of generic tickets and flying standby can be the answer there, as so many people snap up event tickets during registration and then no-show on the day.

I had one bad experience with Generic Tickets (not being able to find anything to do with them the first year I bought them), that I just never considered buying them again. Maybe it's worth looking into?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I had one bad experience with Generic Tickets (not being able to find anything to do with them the first year I bought them), that I just never considered buying them again. Maybe it's worth looking into?
If Sunday afternoon rolls around and you've still got some generics you can refund them at Will-Call for system credit (or at least you could the last time I was there) which works kind of like a down payment on next year's badge. :)

vendolis

Villager

When I ran last year I has at least one no show per game. And if you are open to try new things.. there were in the room I was at least one of the three groups with at least 1-3 open spots. And as said.. all Generics can be rolled into credit by Sunday.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases