Jonathan Tweet: Prologue to Third Edition - Page 2
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Guide (Lvl 11)

I would be interested in hearing about the period between 3 and 3.5 There must have been some interesting discussions with only 3 years between them.
    XP mrrockitt, Tsuga C gave XP for this post

Defender (Lvl 8)

Omega World

I would like to hear more about Jonathon Tweets Omega World, which I think is one of the best d20 games.
    XP Tony Vargas gave XP for this post

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by Arnwolf666 View Post
    I never noticed this problem with 2E because I was writing my own adventures with the 1E mindset. It was never problem with me. A TanarRi was just a type of demon
    That wasn't true initially, hence the negative reaction.
    XP Azzy gave XP for this post

Lama (Lvl 13)

Interesting that arguably, the "One System, multiple campaigns/games" paradigm that the article decries as the downfall of TSR/2nd Edition, worked out much better in 3e with the D20 system & the OGL.

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Speaking as someone who never played 1E (went from BECMI to 2E), I personally loved 2E. I did have the 1E DMG before I had the 2E one, so I used the magic items from that, but I loved the flavor of 2E. However, I definitely understand how they hung themselves with supplement after supplement... 3E and even 4E had a lot of books being churned out as well, but they didn't cannibalize each other like 2E did.

Though I do love all of the settings and supplements of 2E and mining what I wanted from them...
    XP Steve Blunden gave XP for this post

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Arcane sigils? The depictions of how to draw magic circles in the 1E DMG? Those were cool, although I didn't miss them when they were gone. Their absence was definitely another example of TSR sanitizing things in the wake of the Satanic panic. (The loss of half-orcs, assassins and demons are better examples of that.)

And I concur about the great job WotC did with hyping up 3E. That's what initially brought me to ENWorld, and with every bit of news that came out, the consensus, as I remember it, was always "you know, that's another really good improvement."

As a result, it wasn't hard to sell my players on converting over at all.
    XP Parmandur gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by Drumheller View Post
    Fascinating stuff. I'm looking forward to this series.

For what it's worth, I'm a big fan of a game you worked on, Dreamblade. I was really into the scene back in the day.

My Scarab Warcharm still sits on my computer desk.
    Wait, you created dream blade? That got me back into gaming. Thanks! Every year I hope someone will pick up the license and bring it back with cards or tiles or something. Wonderful game, but I suspect too expensive for many. I loved it, and never found another game that completely scratched its itch. Thanks again!

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

I hope he comments on why 3.0 was so profoundly half-baked that it was necessary to bring forth 3.5 a few short years after 3.0 hit the shelves.

Didn't the Monster Manual lack illustrations for at least half of the creatures in 3.0? How'd anyone consider that a good idea?

Whoever made the call to simplify the weapon selection seriously blew it. AD&D's "to hit" adjustments made weapon selection more than simply looking for which weapon of a particular class did the most damage. That's something that ought to be revived.

I played Basic and then our group upgraded to AD&D, but I never did transition to 2E. By then I'd moved on from RPGs, but the introduction of the Neverwinter Nights video game by Bioware resurrected my interest in D&D. I began to peruse the literature once more and found that part of me genuinely missed tabletop gaming. I'd like to hear more about what was happening at TSR/WotC back then. Keep the exposition coming.
    XP Yardiff, Steve Blunden, mrrockitt gave XP for this post

Guide (Lvl 11)

Great article! Thanks,

Titan (Lvl 27)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuga C View Post
    AD&D's "to hit" adjustments made weapon selection more than simply looking for which weapon of a particular class did the most damage.
    Wait, did you just say something positive about weapon vs armor adjustments?

Comrade!

Quote Originally Posted by scourger View Post
    I would like to hear more about Jonathon Tweets Omega World, which I think is one of the best d20 games.
    I didn't notice who wrote it, but OMG, so much better than that d20 Modern whateveritwas that WWGS did under the S&SS banner.

When I say that the "D&D" Gamma Word c2012 was the "7th" edition, I'm counting Omega World, not the d20 Modern. I don't think I was the only one, either.
    Last edited by Tony Vargas; Thursday, 6th June, 2019 at 04:16 AM.
    XP Tsuga C gave XP for this post