Jonathan Tweet: Prologue to Third Edition - Page 7
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Waghalter (Lvl 7)

The only version of D&D that I didn't care for was 4e. I remember liking 4e quite a bit while reading about it... thinking "this is cool." But, when it came to running it, there was just too much to keep track of. I was trying to run it for my kids who were fairly young at the time.

Game Masticator
    Magsman (Lvl 14)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Tweet View Post
    Note from Morrus[I]: This is the first article in a monthly column from WotC alumni Jonathan Tweet.
    Here, here!

Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
    The 3E launch was definitely the most exciting D&D edition launch. The couple of years before that were the first launch that took place in the Internet era, and all the scoops and speculation were such fun. That magic was never recaptured I suspect it could only happen once. The second and third time arent the same.
    More fuel for my 3e reboot theory...

Quote Originally Posted by SMHWorlds View Post
    Folks bemoan THAC0 (and they will do so in reply to this comment) but I never had an issue with it. . .
    Was 2E perfect? Nope.
    Oh, gods! Not THAC0! That was horrible! SUBTRACTION? Argh!!
    2e wasn't perfect, but that didn't stop me from keeping a 2e monster manual for use in every game (including non-D&D) since. That was a worthy investment.
    Modular, open source, free role-playing rules: Modos RPG
    modos-rpg.obsidianportal.com
    Tweets: @MichaelTwtr

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Thanks for all the comments. A few followups.

3.5: If you want me to talk about what led to 3.5, buy me a drink at a con. I don't think I'll be covering it in this column.

To-hit bonuses by AC: One way to tell whether a rule in AD&D was a good idea was to see whether other game designers copied it. Almost no one copied to-hit bonuses by armor. See also: percentile Strength scores, level limits for demihumans, different weapon damage by size of target (?!).

Dreamblade: I loved a lot of the minis we did, but creating that game as a painful and valuable lesson.

Buck Rogers: The first "d20" game, but when they published it they didn't tell D&D players that the stats were compatible. An early project by Mike Pondsmith!

Omega World: It has a special spot in my heart. I guess I'll cover it.

Ars Magica: Already written the post, just wait.
    I still love Omega world. My favorite of the Gamma world types.
    XP Tony Vargas gave XP for this post

Pathfinder subscriber COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by DMMike View Post
    Oh, gods! Not THAC0! That was horrible! SUBTRACTION? Argh!!
    It does have serious usabilty problems but, don't forget, it freed us up from using a look-up table to determine if an AC was hit or not. It was definitely an advancement, but the stronger usability enhancement was turning AC around altogether.

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Quote Originally Posted by jmucchiello View Post
    Nobody I knew would use the complete books. They were completely unbalanced. Nobody I knew bought more than 2 of them before figuring out they weren't worth it. Local DMs shunned them.
    It is always interesting to see people with different experiences. Where I am from, we used the Complete Fighter's Handbook, the Complete Thief's Handbook, The Complete Priest's Handbook, Complete Bard's Handbook, The Complete Druid's Handbook, The Complete Ranger's Handbook. Now, we did not, necessarily use everything from those books. The kits in the Fighter's Handbooks were ignored or altered on a kit by kit basis. The Bard kits were completely off limits as were most or all of the Ranger kits (the Greenwood Ranger was always forbidden). As for the Complete Priest's Handbook, that was always limited, primarily, to being a DM tool for campaign building.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

An early project by Mike Pondsmith!
    He gets around, doesn't he? He's supposed to have a new edition of Cyberpunk out sometime this year.

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuga C View Post
    Whoever made the call to simplify the weapon selection seriously blew it. AD&D's "to hit" adjustments made weapon selection more than simply looking for which weapon of a particular class did the most damage. That's something that ought to be revived.
    I didn't like weapons reduced to Simple and Martial Weapons categories. I preferred the weapon groups from 2e (from Complete Fighter's Handbook, iirc) and 3e's Unearthed Arcana. However, I don't want to see AD&D "to hit" modifiers return. Even Gary didn't use the one's that he included in AD&D 1e. On the other hand, I am for differentiation of weapons by giving them different properties such as has been done in EN5ider and various other third party products.

I remember thinking AD&D was certainly good enough and not wanting to go into 3e. What really changed my mind when when Dungeon Magazine made the switch in systems so I needed the new system if I wanted to continue to get the most out of my subscription. When DnD moved from 3.5 to 4e that same thing did NOT happen and with it my pursuit of DnD mostly ended although I have recently picked up some 5e again.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Quote Originally Posted by seankreynolds View Post
    I assume you're talking about SPELLFIRE, which also was a successful game. Not as successful as M:tG, of course, but successful enough that at one point Wizards actually planned on rereleasing it (although they never did).
    Now, this is some interesting and totally unexpected piece of history! I still think Spellfire is awful, but that's just me, I guess.

Titan (Lvl 27)

Quote Originally Posted by MrZeddaPiras View Post
    I liked the rationalizations they did in 3e, like with the armor class and the saving throws, but it all came apart for me when I attempted to play it and realized the combat system as written was a board game.
    Thank you for having the courtesy to specify that it was only the combat system that was a boardgame-like, rather than calling the whole TTRPG 'a board game' as so many people seem to shortcut to doing.

But, to be fair, most of the grid-enabled range/area, movement/positioning innovations in 3e were built on 2e's C&T, and most of those were trying to make the wargame-like combat system of the earlier TSR era easier to use.

(Or maybe that was your point. Old-school wargamers could get snippy about games that used a mere folding paper map and cardboard chits rather than a proper sandtable with terrain features and miniatures.)

That, and some oddities like civilian NPCs with levels. The merchant giving you a mission at first level got 80 hp because he's a high level merchant. o_O
    Hey, adventurers wander around a dangerous world, fighting monsters, and they gain levels. A merchant transporting goods around a dangerous world is going to have to fight monsters, and bandits, and adventurers if he doesn't hire them to be his stereotypical caravan guards (and maybe even if he does).