Rabbi as a class/kit?

abe ray

Explorer
How would you fine people build a Jewish rabbi as a character class or cleric kit? I figured that at the least the rabbi should be able to create golems earlier in level than normal & be able to control same.

Frankly?
We wouldn't.
There is too much real-world baggage in that name. D&D generally tries to avoid real-life connotations and that word really only has one meaning, which is tied up in a real-world practising religion.

Deciding what abilities and such the class gets is going to appear as judgement or implications on the religion.

Give us a rough idea of what sort of class you are after, and give it a different name, and we can start the discussion there.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Dragon 328 has Peripheral Beliefs. Daily Prayer, Day of Rest, Dietary Restriction, and Sacred Clothing.

I'd say Bard or Cleric is your best bet for classes. Bard is charisma based, and a Lore bard fits pretty well. intelligence however should be higher, as should wisdom. Feat-wise Inspiring Leader, Linguist, Prodigy, Ritual Caster, and Skilled all fit well. Cleric cantrips are pretty decent for this concept: Guidance, Spare the Dying, Thaumaturgy, Word of Radiance. First level spells that fit the theme include: Bless, Ceremony, Command, Detect Good and Evil, Guiding Bolt, Protection from Evil, Sanctuary, Shield of Faith. Bard has some spells that fit too, like (in addition to overlapping cleric spells): Comprehend Languages, Friends, Identify, Illusory Script, Light, Message.

Whoops just realized you were asking in a 2e context. Sorry about that, I gave a mostly 5e focused answer. Maybe it can help a bit with some themes and ideas that can be adapted for 2e.

Define what you mean by "Rabbi"
You obviously have something in mind (perhaps based on real-world beliefs).

And, similar to what [MENTION=6802951]Cap'n Kobold[/MENTION] said, I don't see how a rabbi (in my expectation) would be any different than a straight cleric of a monotheistic god. Which causes problems in most settings, so, again, what do you mean by Rabbi?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Jewish clergy.

So, like this?

17d22d0843fec84a79d68d46dadc06d8.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases