WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Why do people persist in setting themselves up to be disappointed? You would think they would have learned by now.

Better to keep expectations modest, then you have a chance of being pleasantly surprised if they are exceeded.

Nah, since it is impossible for any game to live up to everything you want it to be, and thus are going to be inevitably disappointed, you might as well have fun in the expectation stage. It lasts longer anyway - are you going to spend literal months playing any game, no matter how good it is? Might as well spend more time hyped than time you'll actually be playing the game, whether good or bad...

gyor

Legend
I think it's a mistake to ignore the Mac audience on this one. There is a massive new audience playing 5e, far beyond the traditional gamer demographic that was overwhelmingly likely to own a PC.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ma...d-shatter-the-barriers-of-mac-gaming.amp.html

I think, I could be wrong, Stadia will be usable on Mac Computers, which should solve that issue.

That is the beauty of this game coming out on Stadia, it solves a lot of porting issues. It will be usable on Andriod Phones, Tablets, Smart TVs, PCs (not just windows), and anything else that can use Chrome Browsers, and more.

Mercador

Adventurer
Yeah, with Stadia, you will be fine. Any platform with a Chrome browser. That's actually great for Mac users (and for those with a low-end PC).

On a side note, there's the Microsoft E3 press conference within 2 hours, if the game is planned on consoles, we'll probably see a bit more. Otherwise, E3 is this week so I'm pretty sure we'll see some gameplay if it's planned for this year.

gyor

Legend
Yeah, with Stadia, you will be fine. Any platform with a Chrome browser. That's actually great for Mac users (and for those with a low-end PC).

On a side note, there's the Microsoft E3 press conference within 2 hours, if the game is planned on consoles, we'll probably see a bit more. Otherwise, E3 is this week so I'm pretty sure we'll see some gameplay if it's planned for this year.

I believe Larian will also be at some kind of PC Game show on Monday

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix

I did not listen to the announcement, who you mind expanding a bit on how does Stadia works? Is it like Steam or other services like GOG? I have an old PC and was kinda saddened to see that I was going to miss that game, but you seem to say that low-perfomance PC should be able to run it?

dalisprime

Explorer
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Baldur's_Gate

Baldur's Gate changed a lot thanks to refugees during the Spellplague and possibly the Sundering. It gained 9 more districts in the Outer City, the Wyrm Crossing Bridge has buildings along the side of it, under the Upper City is Undercellar a huge underground feast hall (basically an unofficial district). The new districts include Little Calimshan and Twin Songs.

I'm curious if this game will have Romance options and Witcher Style Nudity/Sex scenes.

Normally I'd guess no, this is D&D, but there has been nudity in one D&D movie, and after seeing the body horror of the trailer, it appears they wish to make a
more adult D&D game. I hope it does.

Also wonder what Factions, if any will be in this game, if any.

Will it use Renown and if so how?

How far afield from Baldur's Gate will we be able to go?

Will we be able to fly Spelljammers?

Aside from Mindflayers and associated monsters, what enemies/monsters will be in the game.

How will rituals work in game? (Guess instead of taking an actual 10 minutes of actual world time, it will either just be a minute or even just have an out of combat requirement).

Will we be able to visit some what nearby Waterdeep and Undermountain?

Waterdeep and Undermountain are not nearby locations by any stretch of imagination so don't hold your hopes up. Renown, if used, could be easy to implement and Baldur's Gate itself has at the very least 3 active factions: Flaming Fist, City Guard and Thieves' Guild, plus they can always involve the usual suspects: Zhentarim, Harpers, Lords' Alliance, Order of the Gauntlet and Emerald Enclave.

gyor

Legend
Why do people persist in setting themselves up to be disappointed? You would think they would have learned by now.

Better to keep expectations modest, then you have a chance of being pleasantly surprised if they are exceeded.

Right now I'm having fun speculating, later I can have fun either being right or nerd raging, either way I have my fun ;p

Right now I choose hope over cynaism.

gyor

Legend
Waterdeep and Undermountain are not nearby locations by any stretch of imagination so don't hold your hopes up. Renown, if used, could be easy to implement and Baldur's Gate itself has at the very least 3 active factions: Flaming Fist, City Guard and Thieves' Guild, plus they can always involve the usual suspects: Zhentarim, Harpers, Lords' Alliance, Order of the Gauntlet and Emerald Enclave.

I I know Waterdeep is going to be a long shot, at least until an expansion, but they keep talking about how big this game is going to be with big exploration, so while very unlikely, it's not impossible. For cities other then BG I think the cities in the Paladin Kingdom Eltguard (might have misspelled that), are closer (just down river) and smaller and tied to BG via the BG: DIA plot, so they are more likely.

As for I agree The Flaming Fist, The Watch. The Guild, Zhentarim, Harper's, Lords' Alliance, Order of the Gaubtlet, and Emerald Enclave are all likely choices, but I'd add Aquistions Incorporated to that list, this game is designed to be streamed on Stadia which has all kinds of features for streaming, it'd be a missed opportunity not to reach other AI (as much as the Corporate jargon in FR annoys me).

Also Jarlaxle and Bregan D’aerthe is active in BG, not just Waterdeep and Luskan so that is likely.

I'll also add the Knights of the Unicorn, Knights of the Shield, and the Iron Throne.

Also fiend cults are possibility, as are The Companions in Eltguard.

Heck it's even possibly we could join with the Mind Flayers as a faction (long shot).

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases