WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Oofta

Legend
Trailer was great! Larian are great! This might just work. Finally Wizards has partnered up with a competent software house. "Too green" though? Yeesh, what about those other D&D games of the past decade? They don't exactly scream quality.

Really good start for this one!

Previous experience may have been why they were so gun-shy. Let's face it they've had some pretty bad luck with software developers over the past few years.

Mercador

Adventurer
Previous experience may have been why they were so gun-shy. Let's face it they've had some pretty bad luck with software developers over the past few years.
You might argue that why they chose those developers in the first place?

Larian made D:OS2, probably the best CRPG ever made. I'm hyped as hell (no pun intended).

One source I've read states it'll be on both Steam and GOG at launch, and not Epic Game Store exclusive.

According to the Venture Beat article there's no "missing" attack rolls, because it would be frustrating from a gameplay perspective. I'm not completely sure how they'd handle whatever it substitutes and things like AC.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You might argue that why they chose those developers in the first place?

Larian made D:OS2, probably the best CRPG ever made. I'm hyped as hell (no pun intended).

They don't actively court developers, they can only choose those who come to them with money to offer. This would have been right after they took a risk on a newer company and the result crashed and burned.

What do you think about videogames set in other worlds: Greyhawk, Mystara, Birthright, Dark Sun...

My opinion is the RPG videogames will need its own story creator.

Mercador

Adventurer
They don't actively court developers, they can only choose those who come to them with money to offer. This would have been right after they took a risk on a newer company and the result crashed and burned.

I don't know, maybe I know videogame industry too much but I would have made some researchs before allowing any developers to use the DnD licence. In my opinion, it was like a couple of execs made poor or misguided decisions earlier.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
I have played other Larian games, and I am not that much pleased : after usually great intros, and initial quests full of wit and humor, they quickly devolve into min-max combat railroads where the fun is slowly sucked out of you.

I wish I am wrong on this one.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
I have played other Larian games, and I am not that much pleased : after usually great intros, and initial quests full of wit and humor, they quickly devolve into min-max combat railroads where the fun is slowly sucked out of you.

I wish I am wrong on this one.

I mean, at worst what you're describing is Icewind Dale, which I'd be pleased enough with.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases