WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

I did not listen to the announcement, who you mind expanding a bit on how does Stadia works? Is it like Steam or other services like GOG? I have an old PC and was kinda saddened to see that I was going to miss that game, but you seem to say that low-perfomance PC should be able to run it?

It's a streaming service, where the game actually runs on computers in the google cloud and your computer only has to display a video stream and transmit your inputs. This means that it can run on pretty much any reasonably modern computer. The downside is that there will inevitably be some network latency in the controls, but that's mostly a problem with fast paced games, it shouldn't be an issue with a CRPG like Baldur's Gate 3.

gyor

Legend
It's a streaming service, where the game actually runs on computers in the google cloud and your computer only has to display a video stream and transmit your inputs. This means that it can run on pretty much any reasonably modern computer. The downside is that there will inevitably be some network latency in the controls, but that's mostly a problem with fast paced games, it shouldn't be an issue with a CRPG like Baldur's Gate 3.

It's basicly the Netflix of video games.

Mercador

Adventurer
I believe Larian will also be at some kind of PC Game show on Monday

Good, I didn't know they were at that show. I guess we'll learn more by then. No mentions during the Xbox Press Conference and there's no Sony PR Event this E3, so console release isn't planned.. yet.

I did not listen to the announcement, who you mind expanding a bit on how does Stadia works? Is it like Steam or other services like GOG? I have an old PC and was kinda saddened to see that I was going to miss that game, but you seem to say that low-perfomance PC should be able to run it?

What's Sorcerer Apprentice said it's true. Not sure I would play a game like Mortal Kombat with a streaming link, just watching a press conference can't stay at 1080p, so imagine a game where 50ms matters. But if BG3 is a game like Divinity Original Sin 2 (like I think it will), you'll be fine, lag won't matter much.

G

Guest 6801328

AAA games and Mac have never had a great relationship, so this shouldn't be a surprise. However, there's alway this.

Yeah I personally run games in a VM (well, I try...it doesn’t always work out) but I expect it’s a hurdle that loses the vast majority of the potential market.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix

ok, thank you for your explanations. Seems I'll get to play it finally. Yeah!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Future streaming can kiss my butt.

Power outages, data caps....

I understand and see the signs....I am not enthused.

Right now I'm having fun speculating, later I can have fun either being right or nerd raging, either way I have my fun ;p

Right now I choose hope over cynaism.

Personally, I think nerd rage is a hateful thing - I would much rather play and enjoy the game when it comes out. The world has far too much negativity already without adding to it.

This is what I hope for:

* The game is fun to play;

* The game has a good story;

* I don't care what locations are visited so long as they are interesting and look cool;

* I don't expect (or feel a particularly strong desire for) any races or classes that aren't in the core rulebook - bottom line is gotta keep something back for the DLC.

dalisprime

Explorer
Future streaming can kiss my butt.

Power outages, data caps....

I understand and see the signs....I am not enthused.

Surely power outages stop any form of non-tabletop gaming , unless you have a handheld console with fully charged battery, in which case the Stadia platform would also work since you can play your games via phone/tablet that can be kept charged up with power banks. As for data caps - just get a better provider.

Staffan

Legend
This article tells way more info on the game: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...d-from-the-creators-of-divinity-original-sin/

Spoiler for interesting plot details;

[sblock]The game is set right after Descent into Avernus, meaning that it is possible in that book to stop the city from being absorbed into hell (not too surprising). It also means the game is pretty much set right at the end of that book, so you could very easily pivot right from the Descent into protecting the city from Mind Flayers in a D&D campaign, which is pretty dope.[/sblock]

[sblock]My impression from Descent into Avernus is that the plot goes like this:
* You're in Baldur's Gate and get wind of a plot to draw the city into Hell.
* You try to stop it.
* There's a gate somewhere, and the ritual has to be stopped from the other side.
* OK, you succeeded. But now you're in Hell, and have to figure out a way home. Or not. And you're likely level 5 or so, so plane shift is out of the question.[/sblock]

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases