WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

You have a point.

Still, expecting full PHB support isn't mindless fangushing or idealistic naivete.

Assuming we are really talking 5E rules (and not "5E rules") I don't see how they could have negotiated themselves out of supporting the full PHB.

The only real alternative would be to support the Basic SRD only and that's so limited I would expect them to already at launch commit to a "PHB expansion".

N.B. Optional content (requiring DM buy-in) like Drow or Wild Mage Sorcerers are OTOH fair game for exclusion. Obviously I can also see them skipping pets (familiars, companions, summoned animals) for gameplay reasons.

That's what I would expect: PHB, possibly minus a couple of problematic things.

Some races, such as drow, might possibly be excluded for story reasons, and a couple of subclasses for problematic mechanics. However, familiars have been done: BG, NWN, NWN2 and Pathfinder: Kingmaker all have them. They all have a slightly different take, and don't stick slavishly to PnP rules. Beamdog added wild magic to BG, so that can be done too. It's things like divination wizards that change dice rolls that I see being problematic in a computer game without major reworking.

But if the game didn't have tieflings and dragonborn, I wouldn't lose any sleep...

CapnZapp

Legend
My point regarding races is that any 2019 Baldur's Gate would be a 5E Baldur's Gate, complete with Dragonborn and Tieflings always having lived there.

I can't make sense of the idea they would repeat the AD&D Baldur's Gate. (I can understand why you could *hope* or *want* that, but not that you'd actually *believe* it would happen.)

My point regarding races is that any 2019 Baldur's Gate would be a 5E Baldur's Gate, complete with Dragonborn and Tieflings always having lived there.

I can't make sense of the idea they would repeat the AD&D Baldur's Gate. (I can understand why you could *hope* or *want* that, but not that you'd actually *believe* it would happen.)

I'm sure that is the case. And BG2 had a tiefling character, and they where a playable race in NWN.

But personally I think both races are rubbish, and would rather have tortles.

Mercador

Adventurer
We could have a complete thread for gaming streaming ;) Let's talk about BG3 alright? The PC Game show press conference is at 1PM Eastern Time for a reminder. I plan to watch it, I hope we'll get more info.

Mercador

Adventurer
Nothing within the PC press event, only a few questions/answers, no gameplay. Release when it's done (so don't hope for this year).

An intriguing (and somewhat horrifying) idea has occurred to me - mind flayers were active and up to something in BG2, although we never fully got to the bottom of it. What if one of them ate a Bhaalspawn's brain? Or if one of them subjected a Bhaalspawn to ceremorphosis? Technically, the victim would no longer be a Bhaalspawn (as they would be dead), but the illithid in question would have the memories and probably some residual powers of the Bhaalspawn. Give them 100+ years to learn more, plot, and become more powerful...

It would definitely allow for BG3 to continue the storyline, without it being a direct sequel...

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases