WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

CapnZapp

Legend
Having the PHB content is the obvious goal here.

They wouldn't want to exclude any PHB character option unless they have to for technical reasons.

But expecting more than the PHB (in the basic start offering) comes across as wildly unrealistic.

I can't come up with a single reason why they would want to give away for free when it's an easy sell if the game does well. And the game certainly does not need more options than the PHB to do well, it's not as if anyone is going to look at all those classes and races and say "blech, that's hardly any choice, I think I'll pass on this game"

Having the PHB content is the obvious goal here.

They wouldn't want to exclude any PHB character option unless they have to for technical reasons.

But expecting more than the PHB (in the basic start offering) comes across as wildly unrealistic.

I can't come up with a single reason why they would want to give away for free when it's an easy sell if the game does well. And the game certainly does not need more options than the PHB to do well, it's not as if anyone is going to look at all those classes and races and say "blech, that's hardly any choice, I think I'll pass on this game"
Actually, I do know a couple of people who where put off Pathfinder: Kingmaker because they where intimidated by the large number of choices at character creation, so more is not necessarily better.

And there is an alternative way of looking at microtransactions: if the non-PHB races and subclasses are sold separately then you don't have to pay for options you aren't interested in playing.

And we know that it is statistically proven that the majority of players will choose to play a male human fighter called Bob... ;)

gyor

Legend
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/leveling-system?amp

5e style leveling is in, but it's causing them headaches.

"Dungeons and Dragons’ leveling system is too slow for Baldur’s Gate 3"

"Nevertheless, Larian is making a D&D game. Therefore: “We wanted to stick to it. So we’re figuring out ways of letting you still feel that you’re progressing in a meaningful manner, but in a videogame manner.”"

Last edited by a moderator:

Sacrosanct

Legend
I understand why there is skepticism, but I think it's unfair skepticism. I think people are subconsciously conflating D&D movies with D&D video games. I.e, D&D movies have a pretty bad track record. They mostly suck. So I think people are assuming a D&D video game will also suck based on that. However, D&D video games have a much better track record. The only one that really sucked in recent history was Sword Coast Legends. All the rest were either OK, or actually pretty good. The original BG games, Torment, Neverwinter Nights (and many of the expansions), Temple of Elemental Evil were all at least pretty decent. Excluding off genre games that just used the license of course.

gyor

Legend
I understand why there is skepticism, but I think it's unfair skepticism. I think people are subconsciously conflating D&D movies with D&D video games. I.e, D&D movies have a pretty bad track record. They mostly suck. So I think people are assuming a D&D video game will also suck based on that. However, D&D video games have a much better track record. The only one that really sucked in recent history was Sword Coast Legends. All the rest were either OK, or actually pretty good. The original BG games, Torment, Neverwinter Nights (and many of the expansions), Temple of Elemental Evil were all at least pretty decent. Excluding off genre games that just used the license of course.

The last one that was any good was Storm of Zehir expansion to NWN2, every single one has been aweful.

So I understand the Skeptism, but I look at what has been said, and look at Larian's rep and that makes me hopeful.

The last one that was any good was Storm of Zehir expansion to NWN2, every single one has been aweful.

So I understand the Skeptism, but I look at what has been said, and look at Larian's rep and that makes me hopeful.

Other than the Neverwinter MMO (which was more or less meh) and Sword Coast Legends (godawful), both of them from rather subpar developers, has there been any other D&D video games since NWN2? I recall D&D video games as a whole just dying off after that ...

CapnZapp

Legend
5e style leveling is in, but it's causing them headaches.

"Dungeons and Dragons’ leveling system is too slow for Baldur’s Gate 3"
Given how even official adventures eschew the xp guidelines, and basically level up after specific chapters, I am having trouble seeing what the problem is.

Or hand out twice the default monster xp, or whatever.

What I'm really interested in is, didn't those old AD&D games, including Baldur's Gate, follow the official xp amounts?

I can't recall ever hearing this complaint against 5E before. That you level up too slowly.

Did you level up faster in AD&D?

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Other than the Neverwinter MMO (which was more or less meh) and Sword Coast Legends (godawful), both of them from rather subpar developers, has there been any other D&D video games since NWN2? I recall D&D video games as a whole just dying off after that ...

Several games, though not RPGs strictly speaking. Idle Champions of the Realms, Tales of Candlekeep, etc.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases