WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

If they do things similarly to DoS2 they would want to give the Fighter spell-like special moves. As such they might make Battlemaster the default fighter and ditch Champion all together. This might prompt them to bring in Arcane Archer from Xanathar's guide as a replacement that better fits the Larian style.

Yeah. Battlemaster, Eldritch Knight, and Arcane Archer would work fine in the DOS2 engine. Champion would... flounder for options.
Wondering if the characters will start at Level 3 just to avoid the auto attack problem.

With them talking about "being a fighter in the tutorial" I wonder if they will start with a prologue where you play a fixed character who is a member of the Flaming Fist during a mind flayer invasion. Then cut to the sequence in the trailer. Then cut to "create a new character" and the main story starts.

gyor

Legend
With them talking about "being a fighter in the tutorial" I wonder if they will start with a prologue where you play a fixed character who is a member of the Flaming Fist during a mind flayer invasion. Then cut to the sequence in the trailer. Then cut to "create a new character" and the main story starts.

I think byTorturial they mean the fighter class is so simplistic that it's a good class to play fir noobs just getting used to the D&D 5e system, not an in game tutorial.

gyor

Legend
Yeah. Battlemaster, Eldritch Knight, and Arcane Archer would work fine in the DOS2 engine. Champion would... flounder for options.
Wondering if the characters will start at Level 3 just to avoid the auto attack problem.

I think Samurai and Cavalier would be cool as well,, even Purple Dragon Knight with some tweaking, but it doesn't solve levels one and two. In TTRPG you can role play for attacks to make them more interesting, but how does Larian translate that to CRPG?

Perhaps 4e style at will attacks? Using environmental interactions and skill challenges instead?

gyor

Legend
We do have the freedom to do what we like, but there’s already a lot in D&D that’s been added over the years and a lot of this is going to be in there."

A lot of this is going to be in there doesn't suggest bits and bobs, it suggests a lot of stuff.

I think byTorturial they mean the fighter class is so simplistic that it's a good class to play fir noobs just getting used to the D&D 5e system, not an in game tutorial.
It's been a very long time that I have seen a game with a tutorial that didn't form part of the plot.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases