WotC Baldur's Gate III Announced; Powered by D&D 5E

The developers of the Divinity: Original Sin series, Laria Studios, officially announced Baldur’s Gate III.
The new game will use the D&D 5th Edition rules as the backbone for their system and the storyline will be set directly after the events in the upcoming adventure Baldur’s Gate: Descent into Avernus. The game will be released on PC and the new Google Stadia video game streaming service. The announcement came with a teaser trailer below. More information is expected at the video game and electronics conference E3 next week.

The game isn't quite available for pre-order, but you can add it to your wishlist on Steam. The Steam listing also gives some idea of the features and gameplay options, as it lists Single Player, Multi-Player, Online Multiplayer, Local Multiplayer, Co-Op, Online Co-Op, Local Co-Op, Shared/Split Screen, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer.

The announcement follows a tease last week with an image of the stylized "III" which left the title of the game as part of the filename.

Warning: The trailer features some gruesome imagery which may not be suitable for all audiences and is definitely NSFW.

[video=youtube;OcP0WdH7rTs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcP0WdH7rTs[/video]​

Last edited by a moderator:

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Langy

Explorer
Over 300 people working on this, three freaking hundred. That is massive. 4 studios and external developers. It's going as closely to 5e as they can make work. Most of the PHB spells are in.
Uh, no it isn't. They've removed the ability to miss, so AC, attack rolls, and saving throws are all probably gone. It's not going to be D&D 5e at all.

Uh, no it isn't. They've removed the ability to miss, so AC, attack rolls, and saving throws are all probably gone. It's not going to be D&D 5e at all.
Removing the ability to miss does not equal the ability to always damage on a hit. Sure, you might always hit, but perhaps unless you hit a certain AC, you aren't doing any (or at least minimal) damage. (Just a potential theory on the whole issue - it may or may not be what they will actually do).

Kurotowa

Legend
Removing the ability to miss does not equal the ability to always damage on a hit. Sure, you might always hit, but perhaps unless you hit a certain AC, you aren't doing any (or at least minimal) damage. (Just a potential theory on the whole issue - it may or may not be what they will actually do).

There's a lot of options. Maybe AC gives you flat damage reduction, or an Armor Save to reduce a hit to a glancing blow, or even a contested roll against the attacker's To Hit. There's systems that would never fly for proper D&D because unlike a TTRPG a CRPG can make lots of rolls quickly and invisibly.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Initially excited but then see it is PC only. But some of the comments indicate that it is likely it will be release for consoles. So I have some hope.

Here's what that part of the article says:
One of the modifications: Misses from dice rolls. “The very obvious one would be that you tend to miss a lot when you roll the dice, which is fine when you’re playing on the tabletop, but it’s not so cool when you’re playing a video game,” Vincke said. “We had to have solutions for that.”
You're reading far too much into that to conclude that they're removing the ability to miss entirely, and AC/attack rolls/saves along with it.

Li Shenron

Legend
It's going as closely to 5e as they can make work. Most of the PHB spells are in.

They got help from WotC with adjusting 5e mechanics for the Video game medium.

At minium all the PHB races/subraces are in, likely more (300 devs), most if not allPHB feats, classes, and subclasses will likely be in. I think playable Gith will be in, a major Illithid invasion with draw both Gith subraces to it like flies to poop. Thanks to ties to BG: DIA I think Aasimar will be in as well.

Mmm... I don't think so. First of all, I seriously doubt the game will be turn-based, but rather real-time. That already makes it NOT like D&D, and invalidates a large portion of what is in the core books.

Sure there will be Fighters & Wizards, Elves & Dwarves and many other iconic D&D elements, but in the best case it'll be just a little better than Neverwinter Nights, and probably not all classes and races, which certainly will be somewhat reduced because of stuff that just won't be applicable. Spells in particular can't all be in the game, but likely also not every skills. Feats might get some attention or not at all, but in the best case only some of them will be applicable.

Baumi

Adventurer
Soooo stoked about it!!

I love the Divinity Series, wich always get superb (and free) support from the Team and has great Co-Op. Combined with 5E .. this is perfect! 8D

Baumi

Adventurer
Mmm... I don't think so. First of all, I seriously doubt the game will be turn-based, but rather real-time. That already makes it NOT like D&D, and invalidates a large portion of what is in the core books.

Sure there will be Fighters & Wizards, Elves & Dwarves and many other iconic D&D elements, but in the best case it'll be just a little better than Neverwinter Nights, and probably not all classes and races, which certainly will be somewhat reduced because of stuff that just won't be applicable. Spells in particular can't all be in the game, but likely also not every skills. Feats might get some attention or not at all, but in the best case only some of them will be applicable.

I'm 99% sure it will be turn-based. Baldur's Gate was turn based (but could be played realtime if I remember corectly) and Divinity is too (highly tactical turn-based).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases