Inventor Feat!

So the first question should always have been, what would a feat for magic item crafting look like.
Are there any restrictions in what you need to craft magic items normally?

I'd suggest not needing an exotic component to create common items (or a 20% discount if you do provide one), Proficiency in a tool, and applying double your proficiency bonus to Intelligence (Arcana) checks to research and identify magic items.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Are there any restrictions in what you need to craft magic items normally?

I'd suggest not needing an exotic component to create common items (or a 20% discount if you do provide one), Proficiency in a tool, and applying double your proficiency bonus to Intelligence (Arcana) checks to research and identify magic items.

The main things with magic item crafting are the rare ingredient as you point out, time and gold, and having to be a spellcaster (DMG rules only, IIRC xgte doesn’t require being a spellcaster) with slots of a given level and knowing the spell you’re enchanting into an object, if any.

Now, I prefer the xanathar’s Rules, by far, but any feat should at least work just fine in a DMG rules game.

I like what you’ve got there. I think ditching the rare ingredient for common items makes sense. I’d consider reducing time to craft a single category of item, like wands, potions, scrolls, staves and rods, by some amount? Instead or in addition?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
How about: A feat that lets you learn two artificer infusions. If you're an artificer, this increases your number of infusions known. If you're not an artificer, you get two infusions, and you can infuse one item at a time. This would be analogous to the Martial Adept feat. If it's too weak, you could have it also grant knowledge of the arcane weapon spell, castable 1/day without a spell slot. That would allow you to simulate fire bolts, acid bolts, etc. You could simulate a grappling hook by infusing something like a rope of climbing.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
How about: A feat that lets you learn two artificer infusions. If you're an artificer, this increases your number of infusions known. If you're not an artificer, you get two infusions, and you can infuse one item at a time. This would be analogous to the Martial Adept feat. If it's too weak, you could have it also grant knowledge of the arcane weapon spell, castable 1/day without a spell slot. That would allow you to simulate fire bolts, acid bolts, etc. You could simulate a grappling hook by infusing something like a rope of climbing.

For me, the inventor archetype isn’t going to ever be modeled by getting 3 distinct abilities. That...isn’t an inventor. It’s...a guy who has a few magic items.

However! I’d love to see that feat anyway. I suspect that it would be 2 Infusions known, 1 active Infusion, and a spell or something like that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases