Homebrew d8 Sneak Attack: Hear me out
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

d8 Sneak Attack: Hear me out

I keep seeing TWFing rogue builds. It's crazy not to. If you have a 65% chance to hit, fighting with two weapons gives you an 87.5% chance to land a sneak attack (and with crits, you have a 94.5% chance of doing 1x sneak attack damage!; math based on getting a crit with your first hit).Now, I think a TWFing rogue has an interesting trade off in whether or not they use their off-hand to try to get a little extra damage in, or if they want to use it to disengage with their cunning action, but I feel like TWFing offers such a damage boost over using a single weapon that I haven't seen anything other than TWFing or handcrossbow (expert) rogues.I thought of a crazy way to incentivize going for a single rapier/light crossbow: what if your sneak attack damage was equal to your weapon's damage die?With a quick calculation, a rapier/light crossbow rogue would deal 81-92% of the damage a dual shortsword rogue will tend to deal (without factoring in advantage; the rapier rogue would benefit more from advantage since their first attack would be less likely to hit and thus be in less need of a follow-up attack). They're still dealing less damage, which would offer a trade off for having their bonus action free for other things.How do you think this would play out? How would you abuse it as a player?
    XP Saelorn gave XP for this post

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

I dont think the rapier needs any help. Its already one of the best melee weapon options in the game for most characters who can use it, I dont think incentivizing one of the few classes that favor a different weapon to use the rapier too is a positive change.
    XP the Jester gave XP for this post

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

I don't have an issue with a D8 sneak attack when not dual-wielding. However I would not like to see it based on weapon die.
    Partly because I allow any weapon to deliver a sneak attack, but mostly because I like to see weapons like daggers used.
    XP Fanaelialae, Satyrn, 77IM gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

TWF is kind of a problem for 5e.

But if you want to level the playing field for different Rogue weapon setups (more or less), consider instead: Cunning Action can be used to grant Advantage on the Rogues next attack. Now every Rogue faces the dilemma of using their Bonus Action for damage, no matter what weapon configuration they pick.
    XP Satyrn gave XP for this post

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherhead View Post
    TWF is kind of a problem for 5e.

But if you want to level the playing field for different Rogue weapon setups (more or less), consider instead: Cunning Action can be used to grant Advantage on the Rogues next attack. Now every Rogue faces the dilemma of using their Bonus Action for damage, no matter what weapon configuration they pick.
    That would be neat.
    Laugh Moorcrys laughed with this post

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Isn't advantage on one attack the same as making 2 attacks.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by aco175 View Post
    Not quite. Two attacks have the potential to both hit, both dealing damage.In the case of a Rogue, Advantage allows Sneak Attack, whereas simply making two attacks might not.
    XP Xeviat gave XP for this post

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Quote Originally Posted by aco175 View Post

For a rogue, it might be. Higher single hit damage might balance against the lower chance of landing two hits.

That might work out better than upping their per hit damage.

Hydra (Lvl 25)

Outside of Tier 1, I haven't really seen rogues dual-wielding. They're either using a rapier and using Booming Blade, or are doing hide + snipe with a crossbow, or have MCed with Fighter or Ranger and have 2 attacks already.

If anything, I'd like to see more incentive for a rogue to dual-wield.

Superhero (Lvl 15)

For my own campaign, hand crossbows will not exist and rogues (and bards) will not get proficiency in the rapier. Plus, Khaalis's Light Armor Fighter variant will be an option. A player wanting to be a corsair, duelist, swashbuckler, two-handed roguish fighter or other light/no armor fighter can take that. The Rogue will be for Assassin's, Thieves, and Swindlers that sneak attack with daggers or shortswords