Igniting an object

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
No. I'm done. If he doesn't get it, he doesn't get i.
I get your argument, Max. It's not hard. You've assigned a potency metric based either on spell level or total damage done (I think both, maybe?) that you use as a gauge for likelihood of setting things on fire.

My issue was that you've used this preference of yours to argue against what flammable means and a reading of the rules of the game. It's absolutely fine that you do things that way, but you can't use your houserules to change what the rules say or what flammable means.

Oofta

Legend
Soooo.... how about some more examples of how DMs have actually, in the past, handled flammable / igniting objects.

For visuals, I replace "match" with "cutting torch" and leave it there for couple of seconds for higher level spells. You're still not going to catch many things on fire although wood will char, cloth that is not in movement may start on fire and so on. But even with fairly high heat if the application is relatively short there will be damage but not fire.

I do allow spells to start things on fire now and then. Set off a fireball in the eponymous warehouse when I just described a lot of goods as being packed in dry straw, or in a forest that's tinder dry because of drought* and there's going to be a fire. On a related note, most fires are deadly not because of the heat but because of the lack of oxygen and smoke. I use con saves or gain levels of temporary exhaustion.

*Note that most forests in the US that are susceptible to forest fire have far more dry fuel then is natural because of well-intentioned directives to stop all fires including the types of fires that historically would clear out brush on a regular basis.

jasper

Rotten DM
Produce flame does not damage objects or ignite flamable objects on fire under the RAW. So, you're innocent.
You know that, and I know that. But Paul should know that. Bring Paul in for more questioning. I think he may have a lead on who is shaking down the docks for protection.

Remove ads