D&D 4E The Intelligent Fighter , Thibault's Circle / La Destreza.

jgsugden

Legend
Martial Archetype: The Tactician

3rd Level:
* Tactical Defenses: Your AC is never less than 10+Dex+Int.
* Tactical Strikes: Add your Int Bonus to Damage Up to (Int) number of times per SR.
7th Level:
* Called Strike: When you deliver a critical hit you may forego the bonus damage and gain a Crit Counter. When an ally hits an opponent, you may spend one Crit Counter to turn that hit into a critical hit. Lose all Crit Counters when you take a Long Rest.
10th Level:
* Tactical Retreat: At the start of your turn you may gain the benefits of the Disengage Action without spending an action. If you do so, you may not make any attack rolls that turn.
15th Level:
* Improved Tactics: When you finish your first Short Rest after a Lng Rest, gain one Crit Counter. When you finish a Long Rest, gain two Crit Counters.
18th Level:
* Master Tactician: Reskinned School of Divination Portent Ability (Int Times per LR)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Martial Archetype: The Tactician

3rd Level:
* Tactical Defenses: Your AC is never less than 10+Dex+Int.

That seems much more straightforward than the level 1 Feature of the Savant as it isnt worrying about which type of armor they are wearing - I will say thumbs up.

* Tactical Strikes: Add your Int Bonus to Damage Up to (Int) number of times per SR.
Something I have been noticing that it is appropriate to do bonus damage keeps it a secondary attribute and it makes it a bit stikery but that is ok but I do want ot emphasize controlling the space around them ... a bit of warlording you have too with the critical hit granting though harder to analyze for balance, but interesting

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think that is worth emphasizing control of space and distance around you and your adversaries seems a feature of this style (another reason this feels like a 4e fighter not a rogue). I am thinking it kind of relates to why boxing is called boxing.

Perhaps forcing a blade lock that "grabs" an enemy may be good it captures them and forces them to remain within your "circle".

Tony Vargas

Legend
I think that is worth emphasizing control of space and distance around you and your adversaries seems a feature of this style (another reason this feels like a 4e fighter not a rogue). I am thinking it kind of relates to why boxing is called boxing.
box (n.2) "a blow," c. 1300, of uncertain origin, older than the verb, possibly related to Middle Dutch boke, Middle High German buc, and Danish bask, all meaning "a blow;" perhaps imitative;
box (v.2)"to beat, thrash, strike with the fist or hand," late 14c., from box (n.2). Meaning "to fight with the fists" (intransitive), whether gloved or not, is from 1560s. Related: Boxed; boxing.

Perhaps forcing a blade lock that "grabs" an enemy may be good it captures them and forces them to remain within your "circle".
So, aside from the mystical aspects, what's the idea/point of the circle? Awareness? Fighting in the round? The area threatened by your weapon? The edge of your reach, where you can make the earliest attack vs a closing opponent?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The area threatened by your weapon? The edge of your reach, where you can make the earliest attack vs a closing opponent?
Your circle and their circle are both involved.

https://www.martinez-destreza.com/articles/demystification-spanish-school-part-ii

The definitions of Box you gave are pretty new ( the reference to a container seems older ) the name pugilist and similar from Greek era is based on fist. But according to my source/sources I think either my father or my martial arts teacher I think they referred to boxing the enemy in as being about caging and controlling their adversaries movement.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Another quote that reinforces the Intelligence foundation

"The mind of the period Spaniard was also educated in matters of science.In various schools and universities, they learned about the philosophies of the ancient Romans and Greeks from the Marannos (Converted Jews).Matters of mathematics and geometry were taught by the Mariscos "

From another source.

"It was the belief of both Carranza and Narvaez, as well as all of the subsequent masters of the Spanish School, that science, which is irrefutable, can and must be applied to swordsmanship. Their aim was to use science to improve the art of the sword,thus proving the validity, effectiveness, and perfection of their system. The definition of science must be taken into account before continuing. Science is knowledge, as of general truths or particular facts, obtained and shown to be correct by accurate observation and thinking. The science of geometry is the best manner in which "La Destreza" can be set forth because it is incontestable, being demonstrated to be exact by proofs."

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I do not get the sense of magic.... in this at all :) though science was a philosophy and chemistrity an evolution of alchemy so there is that.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
In the damage dealing category I like the skill connection akin to the ones requiring Endurance training not sure this is quite right (even though Healing is Wisdom in D&D land - Surgery seems Dex or Int).

surgicalstrike.png

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
This one may be more in the descriptor for controlling enemies tangents of attack
so its named it to invoke Thibaults

CircleBind.png

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There are quite a few powers and feats in support of the Str/wisdom and Str/con and Str/Dex builds I think we need a lot of these Str/Int ones actually.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases