D&D 4E The Intelligent Fighter , Thibault's Circle / La Destreza.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
One of the artificer subclass is a bit like the hexblade, but with Int...

(edit, I should mention that's in 5e)

Not sure how that relates to an Int encouraged fighter? Unless you think it could be readily reflavored in some fashion?

I am actually thinking justifying a decent secondary Intelligence is the target . And having it feel like the highly defended analytical kind of scary Thibault fencer. Where analysis of battlefield pattern and steadfast discipline is seen as key perhaps more than nimble movement.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
To wrap back to the original post, I *am* roleplaying a fighter who uses the Spanish style... and it's a dex-based melee fighter that uses a rapier and buckler and the battle-master subclass. It works very well with riposte and parry as his main maneuvres. He also took trip attack, and precise attack will be his next maneuvre.

I definitely like that 5e made a dex based fighter a standard thing although in 4e I would use a Rogue (lots of dangerous ripostes etc) or Ranger class for that.

Still bet your fighter has Int as a justified dump stat.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I definitely like that 5e made a dex based fighter a standard thing although in 4e I would use a Rogue (lots of dangerous ripostes etc) or Ranger class for that.

My fighter is the smartest party member so... yes, I roleplay him using that style.

Incidentally, I use redrick roller to generate stats.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My fighter is the smartest party member so...

And he uses it in combat for? I mean in 4e the answer would be quick thinking predictive defenses that avoid attacks including a significant 1/3 of saving throws (core combat elements)

And this thread has been largely pointing out ways to give even more.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
predictivesuperiority.png

Tony Vargas

Legend
I definitely like that 5e made a dex based fighter a standard thing ...
It was a long time coming. I gave variant fighters a % DEX instead of STR back in the day - complete with maximums by race & sex. The 3e Finesse feat essentially taxed DEX fighters, and left them inferior.
Not if it was random roll in order - just gets no benefit from it, as a fighter. Really, INT is a triffle lacklustre in 5e - though I feel knowledge skills can still be important.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The following shows the XML for loading the Battle Ready class feature in to the offline Character Builder. And yup it works ;) it also takes a modification of the base class.

<RulesElement name ="Battle Ready" type="Class Feature" internal-id="ID_LAD_CLASS_FEATURE_BR1234" source="Martial Power III" revision-date="6/16/2019" >
<Flavor>Most people react to the onset of a fight for you it is always part of the plan.</Flavor>
<Prereqs> Fighter </Prereqs>
<print-prereqs> Fighter </print-prereqs>
<specific name="Tier"> Heroic </specific>
<specific name="Short Description"> You may substitute Mental Attributes for Dexterity in Initiative </specific>
<specific name="Special" />
<specific name="type" />
<specific name="Associated Power Info" />
<specific name="Associated Powers" />
<rules>
<statadd name="Initiative" value="+Intelligence modifier" type="Ability" />
<statadd name="Initiative" value="+Wisdom modifier" type="Ability" />
<statadd name="Initiative" value="+Charisma modifier" type="Ability" />
</rules>
You may use your Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma or Dexterity modifier when rolling initiative.
</RulesElement>

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It was a long time coming. I gave variant fighters a % DEX instead of STR back in the day - complete with maximums by race & sex. The 3e Finesse feat essentially taxed DEX fighters, and left them inferior.

Arguably in 4e a Dex Fighter til Slayer came out was basically a Ranger/Rogue Roleplaying baggage ensued. (although very flexible baggage) with honorable mention to certain builds which have it secondary.

Not if it was random roll in order - just gets no benefit from it, as a fighter. Really, INT is a triffle lacklustre in 5e - though I feel knowledge skills can still be important.

I said "justified" dump stat. EVEN if you forego control, abilities that work in one arena are enhancing the other as well. Statistically your attributes are more broadly valuable by being the mage or other classes as few or none of the warriors combat stats help outside of that singular context its not just about choosing to dump.

I have some 5e ideas for significantly fixing that and leveraging skills in combat maneuvers (no reason investigation cannot be right along side, insight and intimidation/deception as a means to gain "free" superiority die).

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A subjective feel : Battle Ready makes creating a fighter feel slightly different like a tax on something a fighter should just have has been lifted. It also acknowledges that initiative can involve deciding/thinking and agressing faster which may be more reliable than reacting faster.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases