The Overkill Damage Fallacy

the Jester

Legend
Sure. But are you really claiming such an encounter is anything other than an exception to the norm?

I will dispute that it's an exception to the norm. I'd say, depending on the campaign, it might even be quite a common type of encounter.

Just because you don't often see it doesn't mean it doesn't come up for others.

I feel like the Cleave Rules are being ignored. While optional they are right there in the Core books.

Also I am not exactly sure what point is trying to be made.

Harzel

Adventurer
If it's of any interest, for the scenario in the OP, for PC 1 the exact value for expected rounds to kill is 1/0.6 = 5/3 = 1.66666... It's fairly easy to abstract the to-hit probability and the result is that for a hit probability p, the expected rounds to kill in the given scenario is 1/p.

The derivation is a little long but not hard. I'll provide it if anyone's interested (or skeptical :hmm:).

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I will dispute that it's an exception to the norm. I'd say, depending on the campaign, it might even be quite a common type of encounter.

Just because you don't often see it doesn't mean it doesn't come up for others.

Likewise, just because it's quite common for some others doesn't mean it's part of the norm.

FrogReaver

If it's of any interest, for the scenario in the OP, for PC 1 the exact value for expected rounds to kill is 1/0.6 = 5/3 = 1.66666... It's fairly easy to abstract the to-hit probability and the result is that for a hit probability p, the expected rounds to kill in the given scenario is 1/p.

The derivation is a little long but not hard. I'll provide it if anyone's interested (or skeptical :hmm:).

Yep. Though I don't think such a formula extends very easily to 2 and 3 hit cases.

Nagol

Unimportant
Overkill control is pointless against a single enemy. The goal in that case is at-least-enough kill.

Overkill control becomes valuable when dealing with multiple enemies.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Focus fire is just so effective under D&D style hp rules, though...

Heck even ignoring hp oddities, attacks against an enemy tend to disrupt their attacks against you... ie you might have better effective armor class against any enemy you are attacking. So someone making broad sweeping attacks with a chance of hitting multiple enemies would be better defended from those enemies too.

Basically enemies not threatened have a significant advantage. So you want to threaten everyone even if your multistrike is itself at a penalty to hit.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

Overkill control is pointless against a single enemy. The goal in that case is at-least-enough kill.

Overkill control becomes valuable when dealing with multiple enemies.

If that's your rebuttal then you don't understand the argument.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases