D&D 5E Fighter subclasses for every ability score

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I couldn't decide if this was Wisdom or Intelligence secondary... decided intelligence as its so much about predicting and analysing but could be either.

[video=youtube;BGCMfprPJoA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCMfprPJoA[/video]

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Wis as being steady perceptive it reacts more but does so by being aware and it might take longer on its attack for some benefit? I think of Int as being quick predictive thinking instead of reacting to an already occurring situation but it is highly analytical and preplanning too hmmmmm .

So yeah there may be difficulty differentiating them in anything but a flavor fashion..

I was thinking in 4e that most of the powers and feats with Figher Wisdom riders ended up being the same ones I would Tweak via a combat style into being Intelligence riders.

Just quickly looking at D&D Beyond's version of the PHB, INT measures mental acuity*, information recall, and analytical skill. WIS measures awareness, intuition, and insight.

*"sharpness or keenness of thought, vision, or hearing", says Google's dictionary

I couldn't decide if this was Wisdom or Intelligence secondary... decided intelligence as its so much about predicting and analysing but could be either.
[awesome scene of RDJ as Holmes in a fist fight]

Excellent example. Compare this to the more intuitive, instinctive, insightful approach your standard martial arts film protagonist might have. [insert great example here]

What would the functional, game-play difference be, in 5E?

Off the top of my head, I'd let the INT fighter make a lot of Investigation checks or somesuch, for weak spots, vulnerabilities, etc., and let the WIS fighter make Insight checks to predict their opponents next moves.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Off the top of my head, I'd let the INT fighter make a lot of Investigation checks or somesuch, for weak spots, vulnerabilities, etc., .
Could be knowledge checks, too. And a 'right tool for the job' ethos, with specialized variations on weapons specific to a foe he expects to face...

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Off the top of my head, I'd let the INT fighter make a lot of Investigation checks or somesuch, for weak spots, vulnerabilities, etc., and let the WIS fighter make Insight checks to predict their opponents next moves.

I had an idea of using checks to enable maneuvers you forfeit an attack from your attack action to effectively have another superiority die for your next attack..... basically with the die as a damage boost on the next action its putting all your eggs in one basket with interesting effect being one of them. The skill check might not even be a hard one (or if it was add the WIS or INT or CHA also to the attack) or some similar stuff.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The intelligent fighter I ran into is the scientist flavored fighter... of Thibault and Destreza fame from history. Its an unarmored fencing style

"It was the belief of both Carranza and Narvaez, as well as all of the subsequent masters of the Spanish School, that science, which is irrefutable, can and must be applied to swordsmanship. Their aim was to use science to improve the art of the sword,thus proving the validity, effectiveness, and perfection of their system. The definition of science must be taken into account before continuing. Science is knowledge, as of general truths or particular facts, obtained and shown to be correct by accurate observation and thinking. The science of geometry is the best manner in which "La Destreza" can be set forth because it is incontestable, being demonstrated to be exact by proofs." ....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
They were particularly effective at winning their fights without being significantly harmed in an era in which this just wasn't normal and seen as extraordinarily intimidating in their calm cool approach ... and to me it very much feels much more like a fighter than a rogue.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases