RPGs Finally Get Some Credit in Defining a Galaxy: A Review

When Disney took over the Star Wars universe, the press release called out role-playing games as part of the new Star Wars canon. Since then, Pablo Hidalgo has been a champion of bringing content established in West End Games' (WEG) tabletop role-playing Star Wars books into the movies and cartoons. But it all started with Bill Slavicsek, who sets the record straight in his new book, Defining a Galaxy: 30 Years in a Galaxy Far, Far Away.

When Disney took over the Star Wars universe, the press release called out role-playing games as part of the new Star Wars canon. Since then, Pablo Hidalgo has been a champion of bringing content established in West End Games' (WEG) tabletop role-playing Star Wars books into the movies and cartoons. But it all started with Bill Slavicsek, who sets the record straight in his new book, Defining a Galaxy: 30 Years in a Galaxy Far, Far Away.

World-building for a tabletop role-playing game has a lot in common with creating a setting bible for a media franchise. It also forces some difficult questions that a writer might normally ignore or hand wave in service to the story. For Bill, that issue was the names of the various alien species ("Ithorian" and "Quarren"), which were largely relegated to whatever the toy company Kenner called them ("Hammerhead" and "Squid Head," respectively).

What goes unsaid was how WEG got the license in the first place. WEG was not the largest tabletop RPG company at the time, but its bid for the Star Wars license was higher than competitors. Bill doesn't go into details as to exactly why or how much but has said elsewhere that WEG's $100K offer was pitted against TSR who offered $70K. Bill goes on to speculate that there were several companies circling the license with Star Wars games planned, so the spate of sci-fi games that came out afterward.

For fans of WEG's D6 system, there's even a hidden gem -- Bill update the mechanics for use in convention play on pages 155-158.

One of the prescient things Bill did as part of his research for WEG was to delve into the Lucasfilm archives. This practice has become commonplace now (much of the animated Star Wars Rebels cartoon was inspired by Ralph McQuarrie's original works), but back then it was revolutionary -- and also gave WEG's subsequent source books authenticity that no one else could claim. As much as Bill fleshed-out aspects of the Star Wars universe with his own imagination, he did so with a reverence for the source material that drew on the original series, along with the smattering of novels that were produced at the time, whenever possible.

This philosophy would serve WEG well. Bill evolved from a backup filling in for various staff to the mastermind behind multiple Star Wars products. That alone is an achievement for the history books, but most remarkably, Bill repeated the act later in his career, becoming the Star Wars lead for Wizards of the Coast when his new employer got the license. Bill's Star Wars expertise goes well beyond just role-playing games -- he wrote the second and third editions of A Guide to the Star Wars Universe.

Bill's anecdotes are priceless as he doles out tidbits about what started as a stray reference in a WEG source book would later become canon -- twice! -- both in the Extended Universe and then in the new Disney core. In addition to the aforementioned Ithorians and Quarren, he named the Twi'leks (which, if Lucasfilm had its way, would been named "Bib Fortunas"), Disney used the Inquisitors, the Imperial Security Bureau, Sienar Flight Systems, Ryloth, the Interdictor Cruiser. and details of the Sabacc game. Most striking is the recent reference to Shantipole, an adventure Bill worked on that was largely replicated in a Rebels episode.

By the end of the book it's clear Bill had to write it. Defining a Galaxy distills much of his panel discussions, anecdotes, and interviews about the origin of many Star Wars tropes into one place. More important, it sets the facts straight about someone who was nearly as influential as George Lucas in setting up the Star Wars we know today. If you've ever wondered about the importance of role-playing games in the larger pop culture landscape, Defining a Galaxy leaves little doubt that our hobby is a major contributor, now more than ever. And for that, we have Bill to thank.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Bill Slavicsek’s been unknown to far too many SW fans - then again, many fans seem to treat George Lucas’ Star Wars as being somehow perfect compared to the work of Disney and others, easily glossing over the things that used to be maligned in the past (e.g. the whole ‘Han shot first’ thing and many of the minor changes in the Special Editions)

I don't know what universe you're living in, I know plenty of fans who complain about the old movies constantly (and that's not even talking about the special editions). now fans my age may be more accepting of the prequel trilogy and special edition movies, but by no means do fans of any era treat the Lucas-era Star Wars as "perfect".

Henry

Autoexreginated
I don't know what universe you're living in, I know plenty of fans who complain about the old movies constantly (and that's not even talking about the special editions). now fans my age may be more accepting of the prequel trilogy and special edition movies, but by no means do fans of any era treat the Lucas-era Star Wars as "perfect".

Just google “Disney ruined Star Wars” and you’ll get a deluge of fan-hate; now, there are also plenty of people who talk about Lucas ruining Star Wars with special editions and midichlorians as well, don’t misunderstand - but it seems like as time goes on and the Sale of Lucasfilm retreats further away in time, a rose-colored picture of “old Lucasfilm” seems to be emerging, and most particularly is the image of the first three films as the gold standard by which all others have fallen short. My point is that people often forget that, if it was only George Lucas making contributions to the original trilogy, it would likely not have been as popular as it was. One could actually attribute as much of Star Wars’ success to Marcia Lucas as George. In some ways, the best thing that happened to Empire Strikes back was George Lucas needing to divide attention and giving control to Irving Kirshner, because of the freedom he gave both the actors and crew to perform their craft without micromanagement.

George is a fantastic visionary for the broad strokes, but he seems to work best when he’s tempered by the contributions of others on the fine details.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Just google “Disney ruined Star Wars” and you’ll get a deluge of fan-hate[...]
yes, I'm fully aware of the hate toward the newer Star Wars thank you, you don't need to inform me. if there's one thing to take from what I said is that your average star wars fan is wretched and believe anything other than the original theatrical versions of A New Hope (sorry I mean Star Wars) and Empire Strikes Back is trash. this isn't a dichotomy either, you'll find plenty of fans who hate both the special edition movies and the newer trilogy. there's nothing "emergent" about nostalgia for Lucas's original vision, that's been the default since Return of the Jedi first came out.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
yes, I'm fully aware of the hate toward the newer Star Wars thank you, you don't need to inform me. if there's one thing to take from what I said is that your average star wars fan is wretched and believe anything other than the original theatrical versions of A New Hope (sorry I mean Star Wars) and Empire Strikes Back is trash. this isn't a dichotomy either, you'll find plenty of fans who hate both the special edition movies and the newer trilogy. there's nothing "emergent" about nostalgia for Lucas's original vision, that's been the default since Return of the Jedi first came out.
You can be a huge STAR WARS fan, not be wretched, Recognize the Force Awakens as good, and STILL think The LAst Jedi was an awful movie.

I've been a defender of EVERY movie that came out for Star Wars, especially the prequels. The only movie I can't defend and despise is The Last Jedi. That's when I started to question whether Disney was a good thing for Star Wars.

For some reason, people get very sensitive towards fans that recognize the Last Jedi as a bad Star Wars film.

MGibster

Legend
I have a love hate relationship with this game. Regardless of version or edition, I found it to be extremely frustrating. Perhaps it is due to the people I played with. RAW the player whose character is so skilled that he can call the emperor on the holonet and curse him not once but twice in the same scene without consequence. The player that looks up Solo's 14th level stats, Solo who is supposed to be one of the top ten pilots in galaxy but is made to look like a chump because the player's character was built to fly rings around him at 4th level.

You're thinking of a different game. The WEG version of Star Wars didn't have character levels.

MGibster

Legend
After 1985 Star Wars pretty much disappeared from toy aisles. In 1987 I can't remember seeing any Star Wars products on the shelves other than WEG's role playing game. Some of our younger readers here might not remember a time when Star Wars products weren't on the shelves! It's amazing that some things created for the game actually appeared in later Star Wars media.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
For some reason, people get very sensitive towards fans that recognize the Last Jedi as a bad Star Wars film.
I mean for starters it doesn't help they're so insecure as to necro a 3 week old thread because someone disagrees with them.

but also the arguments against TLJ feel inane at best. I don't even want to touch the absolute garbage arguments (though I will say the video saying "diversity ruined star wars" that YouTube keeps suggesting can :):):):) right off). beyond that a lot of the arguments feel like either people weren't paying attention, or just can't accept certain plot points. it also doesn't help that your average fan who hates TLJ feels the need to crap on it at every opportunity. like I'm not the biggest fan of RotJ but I still enjoy it.

After 1985 Star Wars pretty much disappeared from toy aisles. In 1987 I can't remember seeing any Star Wars products on the shelves other than WEG's role playing game. Some of our younger readers here might not remember a time when Star Wars products weren't on the shelves! It's amazing that some things created for the game actually appeared in later Star Wars media.
it feels weird reading about this, my early childhood took place in the early 90's and it always felt like star wars was omnipresent. like I remember boys in my school talking about it and even playing with star wars toys. even if it weren't in shelves, I do remember the slew of video games for Nintendo consoles, and the OT playing on TV was always an event.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Folks,

If you can't keep it respectful, things will go very badly for you. This goes for both sides of the argument. If you can't be okay with other folks liking things you don't, or vice versa, go find a thread you can be constructive in before it is too late.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
I mean for starters it doesn't help they're so insecure as to necro a 3 week old thread because someone disagrees with them.

but also the arguments against TLJ feel inane at best. I don't even want to touch the absolute garbage arguments (though I will say the video saying "diversity ruined star wars" that YouTube keeps suggesting can :):):):) right off). beyond that a lot of the arguments feel like either people weren't paying attention, or just can't accept certain plot points. it also doesn't help that your average fan who hates TLJ feels the need to crap on it at every opportunity. like I'm not the biggest fan of RotJ but I still enjoy it.

Yes Insecurity. Because people that have been away for awhile never read threads that interest them. I wasn't particularly interested in checking the date. So Occams razor definitely points to me being insecure. You are allowed to think the arguments against the movie are inane. Its a discussion about an item of entertainment. I think the arguments are rather spot on so there you go (don't straw man me by saying I suddenly agree with the anti-diversity crowd, Im fine with the ethnicity, gender, or sexuality of any character in the Disney Star Wars. Rian Johnson just demonstrated a lack of grasp on the characters. The diversity in Star Wars isn't an issue. Its simply Rian Johnson tried to deconstruct Star Wars by misunderstanding characters.

Note Ive been called insecure and apparently one other person quoted me on this but got hidden. So my point was kind of made. People lose their mind if you criticize the last jedi. Go enjoy the movie as a fan.

Mournblade94

Adventurer
The names of the aliens like Bib Fortuna, and alot of the guys that just had names like Prune Face got actualy names from Bill Slavicek. the Star Wars sourcebook in 1988 is one of the best, if not THE best Star Wars movie resource ever published.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads