What lore from previous editions do you wish stayed?

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
The thing I miss, oddly enough, is astral diamonds. They are a unique D&D thing, and I really love the idea that the most valuable of gems are mined on another plane of existence. Plus, there's room for them in the gemstone tables in the DMG -- diamonds, emeralds, rubies, etc. are 5,000 gp, so they could add another gem "tier" that was just astral diamonds for 10,000 gp.

I actually wrote them up as a magic item but I have yet to use them in a campaign:

Astral Diamond
Wondrous item, rare

These small, clear gems come in every color of the rainbow, shedding dim light in a 5-foot radius. When you touch an astral diamond, you sense a faint emotion such as love, hate, joy, sorrow, hope, fear, calm, or disgust. According to the most widely-accepted theory, astral diamonds form naturally when raw emotions on the astral plane are compressed into solid form over the course of eons.

The primary use of these gems is interplanar commerce. An astral diamond is always worth 10,000 gp, and can be bought and sold at full price (not sold at half price like most magic items). They are often traded as commodities in planar marketplaces such as Sigil or the City of Brass.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Are you talking about 5e Paladin oaths with that last one? I thought people loved those. Or are you referring to something else?

Yeah 5e oaths are great. I guess what’s “missing” is a rule that the DM can take away the player’s powers?

Try proposing them on the Paizo forums. Try proposing they work better than alignment for this purpose, that alignment restrictions don't make sense for other classes, or that there might be Paladins of alignments other than Lawful Good, Lawful "Good", or Lawful Evil. In the minds of these fans, the abject hypocrisy of the Gray Guard is perfectly acceptable, but the concept of a Holy Liberator is an affront to the very concept of the Paladin.

Aldarc

Legend
Try proposing them on the Paizo forums. Try proposing they work better than alignment for this purpose, that alignment restrictions don't make sense for other classes, or that there might be Paladins of alignments other than Lawful Good, Lawful "Good", or Lawful Evil. In the minds of these fans, the abject hypocrisy of the Gray Guard is perfectly acceptable, but the concept of a Holy Liberator is an affront to the very concept of the Paladin.
It turns out, according to Paizo, that the opinions expressed on their forums represent a vocal minority. That is one reason why the "paladin" is getting renamed to the Champion in PF2.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I'd like the 3.5e Binder back with it's original creepily more. Making it a type of Warlock just didn't work, it lost all it's flavour.

What a great class. And it should be restricted to a certified role player that can act and is not a power gamer. I jest about that last sentence. But that is a class that screams being able to switch personalities and act.

Arnwolf666

Adventurer
I respectfully disagree with everything you said lol. Different strokes for different folks. I would reverse almost everything you said. I would return to race classes with archetypes.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
What a great class. And it should be restricted to a certified role player that can act and is not a power gamer. I jest about that last sentence. But that is a class that screams being able to switch personalities and act.
One of my players is playing one now, and he does a great job playing up the different aspects and signs. It's kind of at the point where I hope he makes a poor pact because he does such a good job making the character super creepy when he's semi-possessed.

Hussar

Legend
One of my players is playing one now, and he does a great job playing up the different aspects and signs. It's kind of at the point where I hope he makes a poor pact because he does such a good job making the character super creepy when he's semi-possessed.

Heck, when I played a binder, I looked forward to making bad pacts, to the point where I'd just stop rolling and declare that I made bad pacts. It was more fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases