What lore from previous editions do you wish stayed?

I like the idea of the primal power source more than the implementation in 4e: seriously, you could fight gods, but not primal spirits--that's just wrong.....

I miss the wider spectrum of good outsiders (and even rilmani for neutral).

alienux

Explorer
Having played since BECMI, I never really got caught up in the lore much. I've honestly not paid that much attention to it. There may be a few monster changes that I preferred in older editions, but not enough to think too much of it. I've always just mostly played the game and didn't keep up with different stories and settings.

It's kind of odd, since the two main gaming interests I have are D&D and Warhammer 40k (mostly Space Hulk related stuff). With D?&D I love every aspect of the game, but almost never read the novels (I've only ever read Darkwalker on Moonshae and the graphic novel versions of Drizzt), but with 40k, I don't play the game much (other than Space Hulk), but I love reading 40k books.

I like the lore of druids where there are a limited number of high level druids. In order to advance in a certain high level, you had to find and defeat one of that level and take his/her place in the hierarchy.

Kobolds are dog-faced.

I liked the assumption that the end game involved your character establishing some kind of stronghold or domain. It provides a way for your character to add its own legacy to the setting. Back when I was playing AD&D, I felt it was a real accomplishment when my ranger had the means to establish his own lodge and when he gained band of rangers to aid in protecting the nearby settlement.

In 1e, every DM was expected to create their own setting with its own flavor.

I wish that stayed.

Yes I agree. I wish Wizards would take a different approach to game. I know it'll never happen as they want to cash in on their marketing platform. I just would like to see Wizards engendering more of a DIY approach to the game instead of commoditising it.

With you on this. I will never play a paladin that isn’t LG. Murderhobo paladins are like nails on a chalkboard for me.

As for other fluff, I don’t miss too much. Maybe bearded dwarven women?

3. I prefer paladins to be as in AD&D, when they fit what inspired the class. None of this evil/bad paladin stuff as a generic accepted class

Sacrosanct

Legend
With you on this. I will never play a paladin that isn’t LG. Murderhobo paladins are like nails on a chalkboard for me.

Agreed. I mean, that's why paladins we so powerful. Because it was hard to qualify for one mechanically, and then you had to actually adhere to a code of ethos. If you wanted the power, then you had to follow the rules. Then the anti-paladin showed up in a Dragon magazine and suddenly everyone wanted to say "screw the role playing requirements, I want all that power and to be able to not follow any rules." Nevermind that the anti-paladin was never meant to be played by players...

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I agree the 4e universe setup was pretty good, but so is Eberron and a lot of the old 2e settings. I like them better than the FR-centered lore of 5e, but I don't really feel like they are "gone." Still easy to use if you want. I actually kind of liked the more-or-less setting neutral take of 3e in that regard.

I do miss the lore associated with prestige classes/paths in 3e/4e. That was a nice way to bring in world-specific things to your character development.

Staffan

Legend
Primal power as distinct from arcane or divine.

Each setting having a self-contained cosmology, with the meta-settings having the option to intrude but only from their own point of view (I could see a Planescape or Spelljammer supplement including Eberron stuff. I don't want Eberron to include Planescape or Spelljammer stuff.)

And I wonder how many of those that played anti-paladins actually abided by the cowardice rules they were subject to...

Then the anti-paladin showed up in a Dragon magazine and suddenly everyone wanted to say "screw the role playing requirements, I want all that power and to be able to not follow any rules." Nevermind that the anti-paladin was never meant to be played by players...

Primal power as distinct from arcane or divine.

Each setting having a self-contained cosmology, with the meta-settings having the option to intrude but only from their own point of view (I could see a Planescape or Spelljammer supplement including Eberron stuff. I don't want Eberron to include Planescape or Spelljammer stuff.)

I figure there are planescape and spelljammer types popping up in Eberron, but they aren't PC's or archliches or armies of githyanki, but wholesalers buying crates of magical flashlights or similar things, so very few every know about them. If the Eberron natives ever knew the truth, they might try to get into the multiversal commerce game, so they keep their true nature a secret (and they would be willing to do very bad things to keep the secret). And since magical flashlights are national security or anything and their gold is good, no one has any reason to investigate.....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases