D&D 5E Stargate RPG Announced from Wyvern Gaming

MGM and Wyvern Gaming (best known for the board game Sojourn: A Journey Through Time) announced a new roleplaying game based on the Stargate television series franchise with a preview at Gen Con this year with a full release coming at Gen Con 2020.
From the press release:

MGM AND WYVERN GAMING TO LAUNCH STARGATE ROLEPLAYING GAME INSPIRED BY HIT TELEVISION SERIES

Fans to Get Sneak Peek at Gen Con in August, with Release to Follow at Gen Con 2020

June 11, 2019 — “Permission to barge in, sir?” Now all Stargate aficionados have “permission to barge in” and take on the bad guys with the Stargate Roleplaying Game. MGM, a leading entertainment company focused on the production and global distribution of film and television content including major franchises such as Rocky, James Bond, Fargo, Vikings, The Handmaid’s Tale and Pink Panther, and game design company Wyvern Gaming, are collaborating on a new roleplaying game based on the popular Stargate SG-1™ TV series. Fans will be able to get a sneak peek at the game at Gen Con this August, with the launch expected to follow in 2020. MGM’s licensing agency, Brandgenuity, is managing the development and roll out of the Stargate licensing program and brokered the agreement between Wyvern Gaming and MGM.

Brad Ellis, CEO at Wyvern Gaming, said, “We love the Stargate franchise, and we wanted to create a roleplaying game in which fans can become a member of the SGC. Just imagining progressing a character from level 1 to 20 while exploring the universe is a thrilling thought. We’re building on top of the D&D 5th edition Open Gaming License to make this an approachable game for roleplayers while adding the exploration and mechanics necessary for a modern science fiction setting.”

Robert Marick, Executive Vice President Global Consumer Products and Experiences at MGM, said, “There’s a passionate fanbase for Stargate SG-1 who are eager to immerse themselves in experiences that extend the brand well beyond the TV screen. Collaborating with Wyvern Gaming on the Stargate Roleplaying Game enables us to give those who continue to watch and re-watch episodes of the hit TV show the opportunity to enjoy the series and its memorable characters in a whole new way.”

The new Stargate Roleplaying Game lets players explore the galaxy and aid in the fight against the Goa’uld System Lords. The core rulebook contains all the information needed to create a character and join the Stargate Command (SGC). Players will choose from a set of playable races and classes as they learn the skills, feats, equipment, and technologies needed to make their character thrive as an SG team member. The book also covers how to be a Game Commander (GC). In the game, Stargate Missions are handed down from Stargate Command. Players may be asked to capture a point of interest, explore new worlds, retrieve important artifacts, rescue important VIPs, or assassinate/capture high-value targets. Stargate Missions will launch the Living Campaign that will allow the players’ characters to advance through the ranks of the SGC. Through an online system, players can track their character’s progression, earn unique items, and become a legend within the SGC. For updates on the Stargate Roleplaying Game, sign-up at https://stargatetherpg.com/

Beyond the Stargate Roleplaying Game, MGM and Brandgenuity continue to grow the Stargate SG-1 licensing program with recent products/partners including an upcoming fan convention from Creation Entertainment, collectible figures from Chronicle Collectibles, and tees from The Forecast Agency and American Classics.

Stargate SG-1 the television series, produced by MGM Television, picks up where the blockbuster film left off. Colonel Jack O'Neill (RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON) and his SG-1 team; Daniel Jackson (MICHAEL SHANKS), Teal'c (CHRISTOPHER JUDGE), and Capt. Samantha Carter (AMANDA TAPPING), set out to explore the mysteries of the Stargate. Each mission through the gate takes the SG-1 team to new worlds in a seemingly boundless universe.

About Wyvern Gaming
Wyvern Gaming is a game design company whose mission is to create "Approachable Games For Everyone." The company has been producing games since 2015 and have a track record of producing easy to learn card and board games for the hobby game industry. We have the drive to build games that people can enjoy. We love gaming of all types, everything from tabletop role-playing games to 3D virtual reality shooters. Our hopes are to turn our passion into a few gaming classics. For more information, visit https://wyverngaming.com

About Metro Goldwyn Mayer
Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM) is a leading entertainment company focused on the production and global distribution of film and television content across all platforms. The company owns one of the world’s deepest libraries of premium film and television content as well as the premium pay television network EPIX, which is available throughout the U.S. via cable, satellite, telco and digital distributors. In addition, MGM has investments in numerous other television channels, digital platforms and interactive ventures and is producing premium short-form content for distribution. For more information, visit www.mgm.com.

About Brandgenuity
Brandgenuity is a leading global independent brand licensing agency headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Munich and Hong Kong and ranked amongst the top 15 licensing agencies worldwide. The agency’s clients include BMW, Church & Dwight (ARM & HAMMER), White Castle, Edgewell (Edge, Banana Boat, Hawaiian Tropic, Playtex), Carmen Sandiego, MGM Studios (The Addams Family, Rocky, Pink Panther), ABI (Budweiser, Corona), NFLPA, and others. For more information, contact info@brandgenuity.com.

A previous Stargate SG-1 roleplaying game was released by Alderac Entertainment Group in 2003 using the Spycraft D20 System rules, but has been out of print since 2004.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Just reading some of the negative comments here, I see people who are ignorant of the well-written Adventures in Middle-Earth and Esper Genesis, both successful at adapting the 5E core rules system. If this new product is done as well as those, it will be a great book.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Mechanics issues aside, I'm a little surprised we're seeing a new company publish a tabletop RPG based on a license that's been dormant for 10 years. I haven't seen a big outcry for it online and it's not like there was a long string of successful predecessors that had established it as a popular gaming universe. Are there plans for a new movie or TV series that this might tap into? Checked the wiki and all I see is comic book activity. Anyone else know anything?

Getting back to mechanics one of the primary reasons for using a class and level system is to present a zero to hero progression within the game. Stargate never struck me as that kind of story or setting. It seemed - in my limited experience with it - to be more about reasonably competent seasoned professionals solving problems and continuing to be reasonably competent seasoned professionals. It wasn't really about unlocking new powers or developing new abilities. This is why I suspect a lot of people were thinking something more like Traveller and less like D&D.

The designer mentioned above trying 5-level prestige classes which sounds like a balance nightmare and was not well-liked in Star Wars d20's first two editions. If you can come up with something classless that would probably fit the material better but then it doesn't look much like 5E does it? If you can make a full class progression with say ten levels or more then it at least looks something like 5th.

It will be interesting to watch at the very least.

Aldarc

Legend
Just reading some of the negative comments here, I see people who are ignorant of the well-written Adventures in Middle-Earth and Esper Genesis, both successful at adapting the 5E core rules system. If this new product is done as well as those, it will be a great book.
Reading through just one comment here, I see a poster who is making a massive assumption right now. :erm:

S'mon

Legend
Stargate benefits from a default episode structure that fitd well with DnD - go to new place, kill baddies/befriend goodies, take the good stuff, repeat. SGC notably levels up during the series as new stuff is acquired, and the power level also increases over time in contrast to most series. So I think DnD works better for this show than for eg Star Trek, Star Wars or most superhero settings.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I don't think the question is why use 5e, but is 5e the best fit. Maybe? Maybe not.

I can certainly understand why any company would choose this route. More exposure, larger market, brand name recognition, etc. And as mentioned, the past has shown good and positive results. It is easier to sell a familiar set of rules with a different theme than it is to present a whole new set of complex rules to do essentially the same thing.

Another huge factor we often overlook regarding games like this is how many other people are willing to play if we decide we wanted to for ourselves. An original Stargate the RPG could be phenomenal, innovative, and the best thing ever. But if everyone is still playing D&D for whatever their reasons, its not going to make much of a difference.

That said, I have seen more than a few opinions circulating through various circles that some folks are already tired of 5e D&D. Not an alarming number, but those who've been playing since it came out are ready for something new or different. The timing is ripe for new ideas and alternative experiments while the next wave of new players rotate into the 5e frenzy. If this is how the industry thrives and brings about more innovations, then I would say I am a much bigger fan of this edition despite having little interest in the system.

Circling back to Stargate and Wyvern, it is up to them to make this work. 5e could work for this. But don't just reskin everything and call it a day. Break the mold! Keep something if it works for the setting, but otherwise toss it out. Don't just shoehorn it into the system to make it compatible.

I think fans of the series would rather see Stargate the game, but 5e fans might prefer 5e: the Stargate edition. Your call. Good luck!

5ekyu

Hero
"Mechanics issues aside, I'm a little surprised we're seeing a new company publish a tabletop RPG based on a license that's been dormant for 10 years. I"

So as a partial update.

In 2018 Stargete Origins (now Stargate Origins Cstherine) was released as a web series thrn repackaged as s feature.

Since then, last I saw, in Frb 2019, Brad Wright has claimed to be in further talks with the studio about a new Stargate product.

So, this may still be in the hope-ware phase but it seems there is at least the chance of a rsise dead on Stargste in done form.

thundershot

Adventurer
Thundershot, I'm not at liberty to delve into what all we're using or when we're setting the adventure and core, but I feel confident that you'll be able to make the minor adjustments necessary to go off book with ease. A lot of Stargate, at least from a gameplay mechanics view, is pretty consistent over the entire property.

While that’s true, having stats for all of the various Stargate baddies would make it easier... (Wraith, Ori, etc) and not just Gou’ald and Jaffa and Asgard.

Thanks!

Dragonblade

Adventurer
5e is a good base if you make the proper adjustments. M&M and Spycraft 2.0 are great examples of cool games that took d20 and did some excellent things. I own the entire Spycraft d20 line, both 1.0, and 2.0 and the original Stargate d20 RPG.

Savage Worlds is also a good option if you are going outside the 5e paradigm. I've heard good things also about Modiphius 2d20 system, but haven't played it. WEG d6 is ok if you stay in the sweet spot.

But no FATE, please. FATE is really a terrible system and its why despite being huge Dresden Files fans, none of the gamers in my extended circle (about 20 of us) will touch the Dresden Files RPG.

Greg K

Legend
WEG d6 is ok if you stay in the sweet spot.

WEG d6 was, originally, going to be the system for a Stargate-SG1 rpg before something happened to the license and it went to Alderac Entertainment (AEG). The author released online what he had of the manuscript to date. There were no characters write-ups, aliens, or weaponry. If recall correctly, the only references to the show were a letter "written" by O'Neil and a few uses of the terms Stargate and Go'ald.

stadi

Explorer
5e is a good base if you make the proper adjustments. M&M and Spycraft 2.0 are great examples of cool games that took d20 and did some excellent things. I own the entire Spycraft d20 line, both 1.0, and 2.0 and the original Stargate d20 RPG.

Savage Worlds is also a good option if you are going outside the 5e paradigm. I've heard good things also about Modiphius 2d20 system, but haven't played it. WEG d6 is ok if you stay in the sweet spot.

But no FATE, please. FATE is really a terrible system and its why despite being huge Dresden Files fans, none of the gamers in my extended circle (about 20 of us) will touch the Dresden Files RPG.

Same here. I was really disappointed that Dresden Files turned out to be Fate, I really wanted to play it but not with Fate. Unfortunately I had the same with Star Trek. I find 2d20 horrible, so I also did not touch Star Trek from Modiphius. What's even worse, Dune will probably be 2d20 as well.

Back to 5E. I have nothing against it if done right. What I really need for me to work though is that they completely change the skill system. I'd like to have more skills than the usual list and also to manually raise them every level.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases