D&D 5E Stargate RPG Announced from Wyvern Gaming

MGM and Wyvern Gaming (best known for the board game Sojourn: A Journey Through Time) announced a new roleplaying game based on the Stargate television series franchise with a preview at Gen Con this year with a full release coming at Gen Con 2020.
From the press release:

MGM AND WYVERN GAMING TO LAUNCH STARGATE ROLEPLAYING GAME INSPIRED BY HIT TELEVISION SERIES

Fans to Get Sneak Peek at Gen Con in August, with Release to Follow at Gen Con 2020

June 11, 2019 — “Permission to barge in, sir?” Now all Stargate aficionados have “permission to barge in” and take on the bad guys with the Stargate Roleplaying Game. MGM, a leading entertainment company focused on the production and global distribution of film and television content including major franchises such as Rocky, James Bond, Fargo, Vikings, The Handmaid’s Tale and Pink Panther, and game design company Wyvern Gaming, are collaborating on a new roleplaying game based on the popular Stargate SG-1™ TV series. Fans will be able to get a sneak peek at the game at Gen Con this August, with the launch expected to follow in 2020. MGM’s licensing agency, Brandgenuity, is managing the development and roll out of the Stargate licensing program and brokered the agreement between Wyvern Gaming and MGM.

Brad Ellis, CEO at Wyvern Gaming, said, “We love the Stargate franchise, and we wanted to create a roleplaying game in which fans can become a member of the SGC. Just imagining progressing a character from level 1 to 20 while exploring the universe is a thrilling thought. We’re building on top of the D&D 5th edition Open Gaming License to make this an approachable game for roleplayers while adding the exploration and mechanics necessary for a modern science fiction setting.”

Robert Marick, Executive Vice President Global Consumer Products and Experiences at MGM, said, “There’s a passionate fanbase for Stargate SG-1 who are eager to immerse themselves in experiences that extend the brand well beyond the TV screen. Collaborating with Wyvern Gaming on the Stargate Roleplaying Game enables us to give those who continue to watch and re-watch episodes of the hit TV show the opportunity to enjoy the series and its memorable characters in a whole new way.”

The new Stargate Roleplaying Game lets players explore the galaxy and aid in the fight against the Goa’uld System Lords. The core rulebook contains all the information needed to create a character and join the Stargate Command (SGC). Players will choose from a set of playable races and classes as they learn the skills, feats, equipment, and technologies needed to make their character thrive as an SG team member. The book also covers how to be a Game Commander (GC). In the game, Stargate Missions are handed down from Stargate Command. Players may be asked to capture a point of interest, explore new worlds, retrieve important artifacts, rescue important VIPs, or assassinate/capture high-value targets. Stargate Missions will launch the Living Campaign that will allow the players’ characters to advance through the ranks of the SGC. Through an online system, players can track their character’s progression, earn unique items, and become a legend within the SGC. For updates on the Stargate Roleplaying Game, sign-up at https://stargatetherpg.com/

Beyond the Stargate Roleplaying Game, MGM and Brandgenuity continue to grow the Stargate SG-1 licensing program with recent products/partners including an upcoming fan convention from Creation Entertainment, collectible figures from Chronicle Collectibles, and tees from The Forecast Agency and American Classics.

Stargate SG-1 the television series, produced by MGM Television, picks up where the blockbuster film left off. Colonel Jack O'Neill (RICHARD DEAN ANDERSON) and his SG-1 team; Daniel Jackson (MICHAEL SHANKS), Teal'c (CHRISTOPHER JUDGE), and Capt. Samantha Carter (AMANDA TAPPING), set out to explore the mysteries of the Stargate. Each mission through the gate takes the SG-1 team to new worlds in a seemingly boundless universe.

About Wyvern Gaming
Wyvern Gaming is a game design company whose mission is to create "Approachable Games For Everyone." The company has been producing games since 2015 and have a track record of producing easy to learn card and board games for the hobby game industry. We have the drive to build games that people can enjoy. We love gaming of all types, everything from tabletop role-playing games to 3D virtual reality shooters. Our hopes are to turn our passion into a few gaming classics. For more information, visit https://wyverngaming.com

About Metro Goldwyn Mayer
Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM) is a leading entertainment company focused on the production and global distribution of film and television content across all platforms. The company owns one of the world’s deepest libraries of premium film and television content as well as the premium pay television network EPIX, which is available throughout the U.S. via cable, satellite, telco and digital distributors. In addition, MGM has investments in numerous other television channels, digital platforms and interactive ventures and is producing premium short-form content for distribution. For more information, visit www.mgm.com.

About Brandgenuity
Brandgenuity is a leading global independent brand licensing agency headquartered in New York, with offices in London, Munich and Hong Kong and ranked amongst the top 15 licensing agencies worldwide. The agency’s clients include BMW, Church & Dwight (ARM & HAMMER), White Castle, Edgewell (Edge, Banana Boat, Hawaiian Tropic, Playtex), Carmen Sandiego, MGM Studios (The Addams Family, Rocky, Pink Panther), ABI (Budweiser, Corona), NFLPA, and others. For more information, contact info@brandgenuity.com.

A previous Stargate SG-1 roleplaying game was released by Alderac Entertainment Group in 2003 using the Spycraft D20 System rules, but has been out of print since 2004.

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Potentially good news. I prefer a 5E OGL game to other possibilities mentioned above. I have the old SG RPG, but never ran it. I'd like a company with more RPG experience. I loved SG-1 and liked the other series as well. It would be nice if MGM managed another series soon as well. Well, we'll see how it all goes.

*edit* Getting nit-picky on myself :)

stadi

Explorer
I also would have preferred Savage Worlds. My biggest problem with 5E is that you don't have a lot of skills and you cannot really actively level them. Skills are important in modern to sci-fi games for me. I am glad that they did not come up with their own system though or chose 2d20

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
interesting. My issue with adapting 5e to these purposes is scaling monster CRs to the higher PC levels. One hopes there are suitable monsters/aliens for the higher levels.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
I did not see this coming. I'm into Stargate so I'm interested but...

Just unfortunate its D&D based. I would have much preferred FFG, Modiphius, Green Ronin or Cubicle 7 have gotten the license and not use D&D as its structure.

Kettlebriar

Original Old School Gamer
I really hoped someone would pick this license up again. But D&D 5e for SG?! Really disappointed!
Too bad, the franchise has such potential. But levels and classes just do not fit, imo. Seeing what a big "success" the first d20 version was didn't sink in, apparently.

Let us at least hope they get access to all the SG material. SG-1, Atlantis and maybe even Universe.
The setting really is a perfect playground for RPGs.

Ive been gaming for over 35 years. Stargate is tied with my other STAR franchises (Trek and Wars).
I absolutely had the same reaction as you. Happy that someone is doing it, but HATE the idea of level-based and not skill based game mechanic. Cyberpunk 2020 game mechanic was really great as a skill based system that also handle Health Point and Armor it a great way. I'd love to see something similar. Even the old D6 system that West End Games used with STAR WARS RPG would be a better alternative to 5th edition/d20 or Chaosium's BRP skill based system that they use for Call of Cthulhu. I hated that the old version of Stargate d20 only because of the system. The game quality was good including the writing but some game just don't work with levels.
Hopefully Wyvern Gaming is also a fan of EnWorld and reads how the common consensus here seems to be that everyone wants this game, but the concern is the game mechanic system.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyor

Legend
I'm going to break with everyone else almost and say I'm very glad that it's 5e, Star Trek's RPG not being 5e is why I didn't purchase it. Not to say I'm unwilling to buy none 5e products, I buy a lot of CoD 2e, and even some Scion 2e, and plan on buying Shadowrun 6e eventually, but I prefer 5e rule sets for most games.

Ive been gaming for over 35 years.

Well, if it makes any difference I've been playing RPGs for 45 years this summer and miniatures / boardgames for about 5 more. I'm old (60) :) If that matters for any reason, I guess it's breadth of experience.

Stargate is tied with my other STAR franchises (Trek and Wars).

And yes, I like Star Trek and Star Wars and Star Gate SG-1 (etc.).

I absolutely had the same reaction as you. Happy that someone is doing it, but HATE the idea of level-based and not skill based game mechanic. Cyberpunk 2020 game mechanic was really great as a skill based system that also handle Health Point and Armor it a great way. I'd love to see something similar. Even the old D6 system that West End Games used with STAR WARS RPG would be a better alternative to 5th edition/d20 or Chaosium's BRP skill based system that they use for Call of Cthulhu. I hated that the old version of Stargate d20 only because of the system. The game quality was good including the writing but some game just don't work with levels.

I wondered about the choice of a level based system. And then, unlike you I got comfortable with it. I'm a Traveller junky (classic to T5) and I like other skill based games as well (I would name Runequest, FASA Star Trek, Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0, and Mekton Zeta among others). But if you want an accessible game with skills I would argue 5E OGL is a good fit. You have Classes and Subclasses to differentiate characters roles. Skills and tool proficiencies cover the technical angle. You probably don't want, or need, the zillion different skills available in modern life. You can alter the skill / tool proficiency system to give it more depth as needed (ditto with other areas). With work (and there is the question, can this company handle it) I think it might surprise you. There are a number of 5E OGL games out there with different feels to them (AiME pops to mind) than vanilla D&D. Several are science fiction games.

Hopefully Wyvern Gaming is also a fan of EnWorld and reads how the common consensus here seems to be that everyone wants this game, but the concern is the game mechanic system.

Whatever they decide, hopefully they know the game they want to make, the system that can best fit it, and stick with their design goals.

Mack Martin

First Post
Salutations!

My name is Mack Martin (as you may have noticed) and I'm the lead designer for the Stargate RPG! I just thought I'd hop in and post a response about where we are at, and what you guys can expect from a system based on 5e!

While we're currently designing the system using "classes" they aren't designed in the same way as 5th edition classes. The current list I'm using includes: Diplomat, Medic, Soldier, Scout, Engineer, and Scientist. These are obviously up for change as we go further into testing, but that's what we’re operating with now. At this stage, it's more important to use those classes to get a variety of systems into place, the largest of which is the various gear and equipment that characters might take with them on a mission. Right now we’re focused on making sure the games scaling as PCs advance is a solid engine that everything can be built upon.

All of that to say, it's very early on. But I can tell you what we’re currently working with, but understand this is all subject to change when the design meets testing.

Currently, each class only covers five levels. Once you've finished the class you choose a new one. Some of these require a previous class, for instance, an Archeologist is one of the options a Scientist might choose to delve into when they hit level 6. Alternatively, they could start taking levels of Soldier. It's a blend of multi-classing and specialization in some ways. It gives players a lot more customization than a standard 1-20 leveling system.

That's the system we’re using currently to get all the other things a Stargate game needs into place. Once we've started testing, we’re also going to test a "classless" system, although that's the sort of thing we want to build once we’ve been able to test the core engine and shake out the bigger bugs.

I'll try to hop back onto the forum to answer questions over the next few days, so if you have a specific question, I'll try to answer! Just please understand that we’re still building our working test document, so things are very early and I just might not have all the answers yet! We’ve got plenty of work to do to bring Stargate to your tabletop!

Last edited by a moderator:

thundershot

Adventurer
Will all of the canon from Atlantis and Universe be used as well? The Goa’uld system lords were defeated... I just hope other eras and locales of the shows will be available.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases