Systems You'd Never Play after Reading Them

Retreater

Legend
FATE
The narrative end of the game, the attempt to codify when a GM can introduce plots and complications, it's just not my thing.

DCC and MCC
Get those weird dice, nonsensical charts, and character funnels out of here. Checks all the boxes for what I'd never want to play.

Valiant and Shadowrun Anarchy
They're Catalyst, so you know they're bad. Passing GM duties from scene-to-scene is a gimmick I don't see working in any group I've ever played with.

Dragon Age
Hate the setting. I picked up Fantasy Age and realized I don't like the rules either.

Mutants & Masterminds
I don't know which edition I picked up, but the charts for comparing size to distance to height to weight to power of a laser blast befuddled me. Also, the GURPS-like selection of powers and hindrances weren't appealing.

Shadow of the Demon Lord
Was gonna play it, but I got Warhammer Fantasy 4e before I had the chance. So why?

Starfinder
Let's add more complications of technology and confusing starship combat on top one of the most obtuse current game engines (not including Shadowrun). Hard pass.

Swords & Wizardry, Labyrinth Lord, et al OSR Games
I played them back when they were D&D. We've moved on. Thanks.

Palladium Fantasy, After the Bomb, Ninjas & Superspies, Beyond the Supernatural, Rifts, et al
They're Palladium. They're bad, poorly organized games that confuse me mostly in how they still have a following despite 1987 production values, old school design, and some of the worst game mechanics.

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Palladium Fantasy, After the Bomb, Ninjas & Superspies, Beyond the Supernatural, Rifts, et al
They're Palladium. They're bad, poorly organized games that confuse me mostly in how they still have a following despite 1987 production values, old school design, and some of the worst game mechanics.

Despite agreeing with everything you've just said, I've tried and tried to run this system and I know that soon I will try again. I desperately want these games to work for me.

Bet that has something to do with why they still have that rabid fanbase.

MGibster

Legend
6th Edition, which is coming up, is reportedly much streamlined, so maybe there's a chance for ya?

Maybe. The binding on my 5th edition book also started falling apart the very first time I opened it. All attempts to contact Catalyst Games was met with stony silence. I'm not sure I'm keen on giving them more money.

steenan

Adventurer
Exalted. I fell in love with the setting, but the system was awful - overwhelmingly complicated and completely unbalanced. I tried several different rulesets instead. Ended up running a very satisfying campaign with a Fate-based system.

Cthulhutech. The concept is inspiring, but both the rules and the setting details are bad. I'm still looking for a game that would give me the kind of experience Cthulhutech promised but couldn't deliver.

Kult. Setting was fine, but the system looked like it had nothing to do with the themes of the game. I hoped the new edition would fix it, but while they improved the game somewhat, it's still, in my eyes, not worth the effort.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases