D&D 5E Berserker Barbarians: Wait what?

Xeviat

Hero
All I know: I played a Berserker / Champion mix for a long time, I never felt underpowered, and Ialways had a blast.

Depending on what the rest of your party is, it's often hard to gauge one character in a campaign. In 3E, I had a ranger and a barbarian in the same group and the ranger consistently felt weak.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Just to check on you, do you mean across the day with 1 use of frenzy? Because an extra attack from frenzy is always better, but if a combat only lasts 3 rounds then that is 2 frenzy chances to 3 Zealot chances. Considering Zealot procs on 1 hit, while Frenzy takes a separate attack roll, Zealot has a higher chance of landing each round (two advantage chances at 5th level and higher).

3 to 2 Zealot to Frenzy is frenzy better 3rd-5th level, equalish 6th-9th, and then Zealot takes off.

Very interesting.

All that and the fact that Radiant (and Necrotic to a lesser degree) is often more useful than straight weapon weapon damage, especially if you don't have a magic weapon.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
All I know: I played a Berserker / Champion mix for a long time, I never felt underpowered, and Ialways had a blast.

I still play Berserkers and I still have a blast, but I have a blast playing Zealots too. In game the latter just seems more effective at being the all out beatstick Barbarian.

Once my current campaign wraps up I would like to go back to a straight up Berserker with Tavern Brawler. Not optimized by any means, but I think it will me fun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases