Artificer Update: results of the survey and more

Xeviat

Hero
Interesting. I found it super bland. I still feel like it is a class that needs to be made (it's a missing archetype and attaching it to an existing class would bring too much baggage), but this latest version doesn't feel like it gets anything on it's own.

Plus, I don't feel like the caster focused versions deal enough damage. I see that reloading crossbow or gun being their main source of damage, not their wands, even with +Int to damage.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxQxu_sbSlM

Some highlights:

- The alchemist homonculus will become optional
- Overall satisfaction with the class is very high, some subclasses are less popular than others (best to worse: Battle smith, artillerist, archivist and alchemist)
- A number of mentions about Eberon.

The Class seems just about ready to go. The changes and tuning he mentions are good, but I'm overall extremely happy with the Class.

tglassy

Adventurer
Me too. I was hesitant about the Turret at first, but really, it's an amazing addition with a lot of good uses, and just uses a bonus action. At lvl 14, that becomes two turrets for one bonus action.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/they)
Weird, Archivist and Alchemist were my favorites (my only problem with the Archivist is that it wasn't anything like the 3.5 Archivist, but that's not the class's fault)

I don't think there's a problem with the Artillerist's Force Ballista, as that makes a high level Artillerist do a fair amount damage every round with something like 4d8+Int Mod (Cantrip)+2d8+2d8. It's the Flamethrower part that needs improvement.

tglassy

Adventurer
Plus, I don't feel like the caster focused versions deal enough damage. I see that reloading crossbow or gun being their main source of damage, not their wands, even with +Int to damage.

I disagree, especially when considering ability scores. The Battle Smith is very obviously SAD, as everything is keyed off INT, both spells and combat damage. That gives it a very, very good incentive to take the Repeating Shot and use a Heavy Crossbow or a pair of Hand Crossbows, so you can fight as well as anyone and only use one ability. Pump Con next because of saving proficiency, and then Dex, and the rest can be dumped, or forget Dex and pump something else for RP reasons.

For any of the others to benefit from taking Repeating Shot, they’d have to have Dex higher, which hurts Con and everything else. The other subclasses are very MAD because of this. Unless they use their own class abilities and don’t take Repeating Shot or use crossbows.

For the Artilarist, they get a special wand that allows them to use their Int mod for damage. They can then Infuse the Wand with Enhanced Wand and now it’s attack roll is Int+1 (+2 at lvl 12), and you ignore half cover, and you still gain a bonus to damage equal to your Int. By using Wands and Cantrips instead of Crossbows, you make the Artilarist much more SAD.

Alchemists can add their Int roll to either healing or Acid/Poison damage, so Acid Splash and Poison Spray become viable, and therefore makes him more SAD if those are the main form of combat. The Archivist can psychically attack with his Artificial Mind, which adds the Int mod, making him SAD if that is chosen as the main form of attack. And for these two, you don’t need a combat infusion, which opens up a spot for some other kind of infusion.

Yeah, a repeating Heavy Crossbow is awesome, but really only the Battle Smith gets the most out of it due to using Int instead of Dex. If any of the others try to use it instead of their own skills, they have to up both Int and Dex to accomplish the same thing.

tglassy

Adventurer
I don't think there's a problem with the Artillerist's Force Ballista, as that makes a high level Artillerist do a fair amount damage every round with something like 4d8+Int Mod (Cantrip)+2d8+2d8. It's the Flamethrower part that needs improvement.

I don't know, being able to inflict 1d8 damage to everything in a 15 ft cone, which is up to 6 creatures, is pretty devastating. Add two of them in the right spot and you're doing 4d8+Int Mod (cantrip) to one creature, and 2d8 or half to up to six creatures. So it's a choice between concentrated fire on one creature (doing an extra 4d8 with two balistas) or spread damage to lots of creatures (doing an extra 2d8 to six creatures, potentially making that an extra 12d8 of total damage). Plus, the flamethrower always done some damage, even if they save.

Xeviat

Hero
I don't know, being able to inflict 1d8 damage to everything in a 15 ft cone, which is up to 6 creatures, is pretty devastating. Add two of them in the right spot and you're doing 4d8+Int Mod (cantrip) to one creature, and 2d8 or half to up to six creatures. So it's a choice between concentrated fire on one creature (doing an extra 4d8 with two balistas) or spread damage to lots of creatures (doing an extra 2d8 to six creatures, potentially making that an extra 12d8 of total damage). Plus, the flamethrower always done some damage, even if they save.

A 17+ level rogue is doing something like 9d6+Dex at this point, extra +1d6 with TWFing or crossbow expert, with minimal chance to miss landing sneak attack.

Also, you can't stack the same turret.

Xeviat

Hero
[MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION], I suppose I assumed most Artificers would be going for Dex primary since they're a half caster. Their cantrip damage, even with +Int mod doesn't seem to compete with crossbow with arcane weapon active. The artillerist's spell damage seems like it will be pretty low, but at least they get to use their turret's bonus action each round.

I like the subclasses, I just feel the base class is lacking something.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases