Artificer Update: results of the survey and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Dusty Dragon
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Ancalagon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    6,001

    Artificer Update: results of the survey and more

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxQxu_sbSlM

    Some highlights:

    - The alchemist homonculus will become optional
    - Overall satisfaction with the class is very high, some subclasses are less popular than others (best to worse: Battle smith, artillerist, archivist and alchemist)
    - A number of mentions about Eberon.
    XP Twiggly the Gnome, Yaarel, SkidAce, Parmandur, Aldarc and 1 others gave XP for this post

  2. #2
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,992
    Interesting. I found it super bland. I still feel like it is a class that needs to be made (it's a missing archetype and attaching it to an existing class would bring too much baggage), but this latest version doesn't feel like it gets anything on it's own.

    Plus, I don't feel like the caster focused versions deal enough damage. I see that reloading crossbow or gun being their main source of damage, not their wands, even with +Int to damage.

  3. #3
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxQxu_sbSlM

    Some highlights:

    - The alchemist homonculus will become optional
    - Overall satisfaction with the class is very high, some subclasses are less popular than others (best to worse: Battle smith, artillerist, archivist and alchemist)
    - A number of mentions about Eberon.
    The Class seems just about ready to go. The changes and tuning he mentions are good, but I'm overall extremely happy with the Class.
    XP gyor, collin gave XP for this post

  4. #4
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    4,677
    Me too. I was hesitant about the Turret at first, but really, it's an amazing addition with a lot of good uses, and just uses a bonus action. At lvl 14, that becomes two turrets for one bonus action.
    XP doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

  5. #5
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Arcata, CA
    Posts
    2,332
    Weird, Archivist and Alchemist were my favorites (my only problem with the Archivist is that it wasn't anything like the 3.5 Archivist, but that's not the class's fault)

  6. #6
    I don't think there's a problem with the Artillerist's Force Ballista, as that makes a high level Artillerist do a fair amount damage every round with something like 4d8+Int Mod (Cantrip)+2d8+2d8. It's the Flamethrower part that needs improvement.

  7. #7
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeviat View Post
    Plus, I don't feel like the caster focused versions deal enough damage. I see that reloading crossbow or gun being their main source of damage, not their wands, even with +Int to damage.
    I disagree, especially when considering ability scores. The Battle Smith is very obviously SAD, as everything is keyed off INT, both spells and combat damage. That gives it a very, very good incentive to take the Repeating Shot and use a Heavy Crossbow or a pair of Hand Crossbows, so you can fight as well as anyone and only use one ability. Pump Con next because of saving proficiency, and then Dex, and the rest can be dumped, or forget Dex and pump something else for RP reasons.

    For any of the others to benefit from taking Repeating Shot, theyd have to have Dex higher, which hurts Con and everything else. The other subclasses are very MAD because of this. Unless they use their own class abilities and dont take Repeating Shot or use crossbows.

    For the Artilarist, they get a special wand that allows them to use their Int mod for damage. They can then Infuse the Wand with Enhanced Wand and now its attack roll is Int+1 (+2 at lvl 12), and you ignore half cover, and you still gain a bonus to damage equal to your Int. By using Wands and Cantrips instead of Crossbows, you make the Artilarist much more SAD.

    Alchemists can add their Int roll to either healing or Acid/Poison damage, so Acid Splash and Poison Spray become viable, and therefore makes him more SAD if those are the main form of combat. The Archivist can psychically attack with his Artificial Mind, which adds the Int mod, making him SAD if that is chosen as the main form of attack. And for these two, you dont need a combat infusion, which opens up a spot for some other kind of infusion.

    Yeah, a repeating Heavy Crossbow is awesome, but really only the Battle Smith gets the most out of it due to using Int instead of Dex. If any of the others try to use it instead of their own skills, they have to up both Int and Dex to accomplish the same thing.

  8. #8
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobold Avenger View Post
    I don't think there's a problem with the Artillerist's Force Ballista, as that makes a high level Artillerist do a fair amount damage every round with something like 4d8+Int Mod (Cantrip)+2d8+2d8. It's the Flamethrower part that needs improvement.
    I don't know, being able to inflict 1d8 damage to everything in a 15 ft cone, which is up to 6 creatures, is pretty devastating. Add two of them in the right spot and you're doing 4d8+Int Mod (cantrip) to one creature, and 2d8 or half to up to six creatures. So it's a choice between concentrated fire on one creature (doing an extra 4d8 with two balistas) or spread damage to lots of creatures (doing an extra 2d8 to six creatures, potentially making that an extra 12d8 of total damage). Plus, the flamethrower always done some damage, even if they save.

  9. #9
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,992
    Quote Originally Posted by tglassy View Post
    I don't know, being able to inflict 1d8 damage to everything in a 15 ft cone, which is up to 6 creatures, is pretty devastating. Add two of them in the right spot and you're doing 4d8+Int Mod (cantrip) to one creature, and 2d8 or half to up to six creatures. So it's a choice between concentrated fire on one creature (doing an extra 4d8 with two balistas) or spread damage to lots of creatures (doing an extra 2d8 to six creatures, potentially making that an extra 12d8 of total damage). Plus, the flamethrower always done some damage, even if they save.

    A 17+ level rogue is doing something like 9d6+Dex at this point, extra +1d6 with TWFing or crossbow expert, with minimal chance to miss landing sneak attack.

    Also, you can't stack the same turret.

  10. #10
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)



    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,992
    @tglassy, I suppose I assumed most Artificers would be going for Dex primary since they're a half caster. Their cantrip damage, even with +Int mod doesn't seem to compete with crossbow with arcane weapon active. The artillerist's spell damage seems like it will be pretty low, but at least they get to use their turret's bonus action each round.

    I like the subclasses, I just feel the base class is lacking something.

Similar Threads

  1. March Survey Results are In - new survey posted
    By jodyjohnson in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Wednesday, 29th April, 2015, 10:11 PM
  2. Replies: 151
    Last Post: Friday, 6th March, 2015, 02:30 PM
  3. PDA adventures, free adventure download, survey results, update - RPM
    By Luke in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Friday, 6th September, 2002, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •