D&D 5E [5E]What everything I can use in riposte, opportunity attack, ...?

delph

Explorer
Hi,
I was thinking about Battlemaster 3 / Rogue (4/12) / Ranger ( 5/13) and I want to know if I can use in riposte, or opportunity attack something from rangers Horde breaker / whirlwind attack or be better go just for high sneak attack.

I'm not native speaker so I sometimes I don't understand rules etc. :-S

Last edited:

krustyy

Villager
The wording on riposte is when a creature misses you with a melee attack, you can use your reaction to expend the superiority die to make a melee weapon attack against the creature.

The two qualifiers there are:
1. A creature misses you with a melee attack
2. You have a reaction to expend

This can be done on your turn or on another creatures turn. If you walk away and take an opportunity attack, you can use your reaction to hit them back on your turn. If they miss you during any attacks on their turn, you can use your reaction to hit them back. That actually seems like a pretty creative idea to get sneak attack in outside of your turn. The problem, of course, is that it means you're also taking attacks which rogues are notoriously bad at absorbing. Provoking opportunity attacks on purpose with regularity is a good way to run out of hp.

delph

Explorer
[FONT=&quot]You completely misunderstood my question. I know when I get opportunity attack or can use riposte. But I wanna know what happens then with my dmg.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot] So my dmg will be:[/FONT][FONT=&quot]weapon dmg (yes) + ability bonus (yes)+ dueling fighting style (yes) + sneak attack (yes) + hunters mark (yes) + colossus slayer (maybe, but think yes) / hordebreaker (not dmg, but another attack on another enemy (I think no)) + whirlwind attack (not dmg, but another attack on another enemy[/FONT][FONT=&quot](maybe, but i think no)).[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Esker

Hero
If you walk away and take an opportunity attack, you can use your reaction to hit them back on your turn. If they miss you during any attacks on their turn, you can use your reaction to hit them back. That actually seems like a pretty creative idea to get sneak attack in outside of your turn.

That doesn't actually work, since it's still your turn when you get hit with the AoO, so you can't get another sneak attack yet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases