What do you love about your favorite edition that ISN’T rules related?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
A lot of feel and flavor is influenced by rules sometimes however it seems the opposite is true.

The explicit sources and roles in 4e were really almost entirely flavor in most ways ... however roles guided class and power design (ie they were a design paradigm not actually rules and they weren't hard fast determinants) and sources once in a blue moon actually acted as prerequisites.(but this had such a minor effect calling them just flavor is not really deceptive).

AD&D because for me this is wear it all started, and without it I wouldn't even know the others - plus the cover of the AD&D PHB just grabbed my imagination.

lyracian

Villager
Not sure I really can separate it from the Rules.
I love Fifth because of Concentration, Advantage/Disadvantage and the other streamlining.

The only item not related to rules would be picking my favourite based on Artwork.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Just thought of another thing: the D&D Black Box starter set. It's where I got my start and IMO, I have never seen a starter set it's equal.

The most distinguishing aspect of it was that there were these "cards" inside the DM's screen. Part of the card was a choose your own style adventure wherein you created a character and learned the rules as you played through the solo adventure. There was even a part that nudged you to work through basic dice probabilities, without actually forcing you to. As a little kid playing through that adventure, it lit a fire in me that continues to this day. By the end of the adventure, I was more or less ready to DM an adventure for others. Enabling a kid to get a taste of D&D without first having to gather a group of friends was, IMO, genius.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
Rules aside, my favorite edition is the 70's iteration of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons up through the release of Unearthed Arcana. I love the art, I love the writing, I even love the font. Playing make believe feels at first like a child's occupation, so having a game presented in an adult way gave it a glamour that no other edition has captured. 1e is sexy and dangerous like the greatest rock songs, and no other edition has matched it, though the Planescape setting came close, and 3rd edition made a good attempt, but was too consumed with its own internal contradictions to measure up.

Honorable Mention: I love 2e's nods to history--dividing equipment lists by time period, and putting out supplements for historical simulation. Feeding back to an interest in the real world is what the greatest of fantasy's do.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Rules aside, my favorite edition is the 70's iteration of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons up through the release of Unearthed Arcana. I love the art, I love the writing, I even love the font. Playing make believe feels at first like a child's occupation, so having a game presented in an adult way gave it a glamour that no other edition has captured. 1e is sexy and dangerous like the greatest rock songs, and no other edition has matched it, though the Planescape setting came close, and 3rd edition made a good attempt, but was too consumed with its own internal contradictions to measure up.

Honorable Mention: I love 2e's nods to history--dividing equipment lists by time period, and putting out supplements for historical simulation. Feeding back to an interest in the real world is what the greatest of fantasy's do.

Interesting you mention font. I love the font of moldvays basic. I just really like how it looks and reads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases