What do you love about your favorite edition that ISN’T rules related?

Sacrosanct

Legend
What do you love about your favorite edition that ISN’T rules related?

Yep, anything rules or mechanics related is verboten. So no comments about attack matrix, or healing surges, or vancian casting, or AEDU. I’m talking about what sort of things do you love about your favorite edition that are apart from the rules.

My favorite edition is 1e, and in large part because it captured the pop culture of fantasy in the late 70s and early 80s. IMO the 80s were the best decade for fantasy. It really took off in the 80s to be mainstream rather than something obscure that only stoners who listened to prog rock in their painted van were into. We started seeing big budget movies with A list action stars. Fantasy literature took off. Video games became a thing in every household with actual graphics.

But the best part was how anything went. The 80s were wonderful in that things never took themselves too seriously and going over the top into a bit of silliness was perfectly OK. I mean, just go watch some of those 80s movies and you know exactly what I’m talking about. Conan the destroyer (still the best and most accurate D&D movie to date), Ice Pirates, Krull, Dune, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Willow, Predator, Time Bandits, Goonies, Raiders of the Lost Arc, etc. D&D 1e captured all of that really well.

It was also the edition with the best art, IMO. Black and white art is just as good as color art, just different, and I think modern editions really suffer by excluding black and white line art.

It was the era that also had the D&D cartoon, and a toy line, and a mainstream comic book line.

So yeah, for non mechanical reasons, those are the big ones why AD&D is my favorite. It’s not nostalgia. It’s attitude and aesthetics of that era.

Last edited:

The first chapter header for D&D 3rd edition depicted a naked man. And the book had no cheesecake sexualized women. Thank you, Peter Adkison and team for having respectful art design.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The cosmology, very clearly and cleanly adaptable but also closer out of the box to classic fantasy, the fae wild in particular is gorgeously presented.

So many things though interact with the rules without being direct I could say getting to finally play characters able to do the job your archetype was described as doing all the way back in 1e or fulfilling the archetype profile described in the 2e players handbook and so on they are most definitely rules induced and related.

Fanaelialae

Legend
While I realize that this was unpopular with many folks, I really loved that 4e was willing to slaughter sacred cows in order to push the lore in new and interesting directions.

Raith5

Adventurer
I really liked the 4e cosmology - especially the feywild and shadowfell. It felt like it was something really well integrated into the monsters and races but offered a good range of story telling possibilities, largely because the planes was separated from alignments. I liked the great wheel, I just think that this take was a touch more unpredictable and more usable in the game.

Oofta

Legend
I liked different editions for different reasons so I've picked up different things from different editions.

From original editions (lumping together a bit because I'm old and they blur together).
  • The embrace of a wide variety of fantasy tropes and sources that I could use in my own campaigns. Conan? Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser? Lord of the Rings? Pick your style.
  • The pantheons that I still use non-human races
  • The splat books for the different races which helped my form ideas on how an elven civilization would work or The Complete Book of Dwarves.
  • The sense of humor

mouse-god.jpg
From 3.x
  • Making the world a bit more concrete and logical, or at least attempting to do so. I loved things like The Complete Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.
  • More variety in builds allowing me to have a high level fighter, for example, that didn't want followers.
From 4
  • The Feywild and Shadowfell. I already had the basic concepts in my campaign world, so it was great to see it incorporated with "real" rules and suggestions.
From 5
  • Reinvigorating the hobby (maybe by accident).
  • A return to more free-form style play.

Aldarc

Legend
4e had an incredibly refined sense of its own mythos, a dramatic, tension-filled Chaoskampf that permeated its cosmology and every creature, character, location, and often mechanics.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases