D&D 5E Warlock build advice...

Ashrym

Legend
I would keep it simple. Chain pact, fey patron. Booming blade and greenflame blade. Focus on dex before cha. Pick up a weapon via race or feat, or make a compromise.

You will likely use slots for armor of agathys and shadow blade or hex (cannot do both). SLA at-will invocations are important for that magical feel. Probably armor of shadows and misty visions to start.

Seems like that covers what you want.

Riley37

First Post
If you don't cast spells which use CHA modifier for attack roll nor saving throw DC, if you rely on Booming and/or Green Flame, with Hex to boost damage... and you use a bow when you need ranged attacks, rather than Eldritch Blast... then prioritizing DEX over CHA is viable.

I agree with the posters above. The concept is perfectly fine. DPR dows not say much about an effective character.
If you were PHB only, it would be more difficult to keep up.
With green flame blade and shadow blade you can probably keep your damage up high enough to be semi competitive.
Only thing I'd advise would be taking a first level of fighter. You need constitution saves to keep your shadow blade uo and running. Rapiers are nice as is duelling fighting style. A shield comes in handy. So you will raise your offense and defense by 2 to 3 points.

Because you rely on green flame blade you don't have to worry about losing high level slots too much. Especially since a warlock only gets regular slots up to level 5.

My progression would be:
Fighter 1
Warlock 1-5
Fighter 2.
Or fighter 2 after warlock 3.

If you later want to do more damage, adding a level of rogue does not hurt.

With fighter 1 your race can be any. I'd probably go with half elf for flavour and useful stats.
16 dex, 16 cha and 14 con is impossible to beat.
The only thing coming close might be an eladrin. +1charisma and +2 dex could let you start with 17 dex and 14 con 14 cha. That lets you take elven accuracy as your feat which combines nicely with shadow blade in shadows.

ccs

41st lv DM
You can pretty much assume access to the Drow race, at least as safely as you can assume access to anything else that’s in the PHB. Which is to say, chances are it’ll be fine, but it doesn’t hurt to double-check, and be prepared for the possibility that the DM will say they don’t think it’s a good fit for the campaign.

So.... Exactly what I said about not being able to just assume access to the drow option.

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Since you only have one attack, I would consider poison lacing your weapons. You can buy and make poinsion and you sheath/unsheath as a free action. So I would poor the poision into your sheath, then ask the GM as a special exception for your unusual build that it allows you to apply poision to your weapon once per turn using the dosage. So rule of cool its a unique idea your likely slightly underpowered and you have to spend time and money to make or find poision to include the possible stories that could initiate...

I would alow it. If you like the Idea ask your GM.

Flobby

Explorer
All of these suggestions gave me another idea: Take human variant with the magic initiate feat to get the find familiar spell and some utility cantrips, then go non-hexblade warlock with blade pact. I talked to the DM and he said he'd allow a psuedodragon familiar but he'd make me work for it.:) Still might take a fighter level for the saves and duelist bonus (not interested in the armor though since want a high Dex). ClaytonCross's poison idea is pretty cool too though...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases