Dragon Reflections #22 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guide (Lvl 11)

Man that cover is trying too hard! I too had a love/dislike relationship with Gygax's ability to handle criticism/write about the games he and others made.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathamon View Post
    I also never understood having two versions of D&D. It was very confusing for me growing up and to be honest I didn't know anyone who played original D&D after 81 except using the adventures as content. It was portrayed where I grew up as the not cool version or for beginners only. I only played it when I was younger.
    A lot of us continued to play original D&D adding what we liked from AD&D. And there were three brands of D&D. Original, B/X, and AD&D. See? Even more confusing

I don't think I ever made a strong distinction between original and 1E (or later even 2E). I bought and read Basic / Expert but didn't like the combo of class and race that came later with it. I had friends who loved BECMI in its later incarnation, but my game was always a mix of original D&D and AD&D with more AD&D as we went, sliding on into 2E. The big change (which took a lot of work) was the shift from the mixed 2E I used to 3E.

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

This shows the side of Gygax I never appreciated. His petty bashing of others in print. He seemed very defensive.
    He had some reason for his bashing; he took quite a bit from others. Doesn't really excuse it, but it does give some context. Then too, it was a hobbyist niche, professionalism wasn't much of a factor then.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

I always considered B/X and B/E+CMI to be the same. I know they aren't now because I never really played them. I incorrectly assumed they're were when I was 8-20s ... whitebox Original was homebrew D&D to be honest. ;p

Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)

I always considered B/X and B/E+CMI to be the same. I know they aren't now because I never really played them. I incorrectly assumed they're were when I was 8-20s ... whitebox Original was homebrew D&D to be honest. ;p
    The various incarnations of Basic / Expert / etc. are, imo, the evolution of that line. I never worried too much about it because original / advanced D&D was the basis of my game. And that's "woodprint" / whitebox for original D&D Still have one woodprint and one surviving whitebox set along with the supplements. And yep, homebrew was constant with it. We played Chainmail's fantasy appendix miniature battles / campaigns before D&D came out and we homebrewed that too. That was just gaming then. Fun, experimental and... undefined. We tried tons of things out, and d@mn it was fun

*edit* Cleaning up the grammar...

Defender (Lvl 8)

Yes, I started with B/X and later got the Companion set onwards. I wasn't really aware that there had been a shift in authorship and direction. I later started with 1e and that became my main game, although there were many rules we ignored. When 2e came out we bought all the books, though we never really saw it as a new edition.

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

God I love these articles.

Wonderful to see SCA on the cover of Dragon, the irony of Gygax's musings on the futures of the rules was delicious.

Still a bit before I got into gaming, but it is starting to really feel like my "era."

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

I always wonder how the old school designers would have responded to some of the modern game design ideas introduced in 3E and later.

"Wait, all the numbers go the same direction, so higher rolls are always better? We don't need a chart to figure out results? MADNESS!"
    XP TarionzCousin gave XP for this post

Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)

Quote Originally Posted by Whizbang Dustyboots View Post
    I always wonder how the old school designers would have responded to some of the modern game design ideas introduced in 3E and later.

"Wait, all the numbers go the same direction, so higher rolls are always better? We don't need a chart to figure out results? MADNESS!"
    Ahem.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

When 2nd edition came out I bought the books but we played one game and moved on to different RPG games. That was when we started playing Hero, Warhammer, Cyberpunk, etc. I bought the boxsets (Darksun, ravenloft and forgotten realms) but my gaming group had moved on from D&D. I didn't come back until 3.0. I tried to get them to play but no luck.