Formatting- Quotes Not Coming Out Correctly - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz View Post
    Color formatting is the problem in some way. I can see the quote exists, but the formatting makes it invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manbearcat View Post
    The former.

my color scheme is default text on black background of that helps (I’m computer incompetent so that is the best I got).

Weird. Well, when I go to edit it, it doesn't show as being formatted to a particular color?????

Color formatting is the problem in some way. I can see the quote exists, but the formatting makes it invisible.
    Not to add to the mystery, but-

1. I use a white background. So I wouldn't see a problem. It appears that @Manbearcat (and you, maybe?) use black ones.

2. However ..... what happened when you quoted my post? Shouldn't your quote of my entire post have caused the text to pop back out, at least on my screen? When I saw you quoting me, the quote was gone. Do you know what I'm saying?

Titan (Lvl 27)

When you quote a post, any quotes embedded within it do not appear within the body of the quoted post.

When you quote a post, any quotes embedded within it do not appear within the body of the quoted post.

Okay. But what about the whole AC/DC thing going on (Back in Black?).

I’m using the black background.
    Okay, but WHY are my quotes doing that?

And why can't I see it in my editing window?

Titan (Lvl 27)

I use the traditional colour scheme (white post text, orange button text, on black background).

In the post I mentioned in the "literary endeavour" thread there are two quote blocks. The first I can read. The second is, for me, an empty quote block. When I highlight it the text appears. I assume that the text has COLOR tags around it that are making it black.

In the past when posters have had this issue I believe it's been because they're preparing posts in Word or some similar formatting-rich environment, and then when they copy-and-paste into the message board editor the formatting tags are carried along with the text.

@lowkey13, I can't recall if this is a recurrent feature of your posts or not. In the case of the particular post I commented on it was the particluar context of the phrase "My last post", which I realised I'd probably misinterpreted, that made the invisible quote salient to me. Maybe you've had invisible quotes in the past too but I haven't commented on them because it hasn't seemed to matter in that context.

So anyway, after writing the above I went back through the thread and found post 409 on May 21st (my time). It has 3 quoteblocks. One is fully visible to me. One is fully invisible to me (unless I hightlight text). One is invisible except for the last six words.

So I don't think this has anything to do with https. I would guess it's to do with the environment where you are writing/editing your posts.
    XP lowkey13 gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by pemerton View Post
    So I don't think this has anything to do with https. I would guess it's to do with the environment where you are writing/editing your posts.
    Strangely, I just use the website. Nothing fancy.

But I am guessing that what is happening is that I pasting as "plain text" (to remove formatting problems that are popping up) and that is somehow forcing it into black, as opposed to "automatic text coloring."

And it only happens in those quotes because I only copy and paste into those ersatz quotes I do (to quote other stuff).

....let's try this-

I use the traditional colour scheme (white post text, orange button text, on black background).

In the post I mentioned in the "literary endeavour" thread there are two quote blocks. The first I can read. The second is, for me, an empty quote block. When I highlight it the text appears. I assume that the text has COLOR tags around it that are making it black.
    That's a pure cut and paste.

That's a cut and a "plain text" paste.

...now, I'm going to alter my background colors and start messing around and see if I can capture it. Thanks everyone!

Woah!

I just switched from Reborn to Legacy (White to Black) ...

so, the problem wasn't when I cut and pasted with plain text ... it was when I just NATURALLY CUT AND PASTED.

I was not expecting that, at all. I don't even understand that???? That is exact opposite of what should have happened.