GM DESCRIPTION: NARRATION OR CONVERSATION?

So remember it's not a random creature generator, it's a random encounter (scene) generator.

Don't know if you were meaning to suggest this or not, but to be clear: there aren't really any any creature entries on this table (at least in the supernatural sense of the word). Those are all different sects and organizations. So the 7 Demons entry refers to a group of bandits in the area who wear demon masks.

So for example, what meaningful interaction is going to happen with the opera troop performers? Or at least, the crowd watching the opera troop? Whatever write up you give about the opera troops needs to help you and the intended audience frame a meaningful scene, even if it is something like - "10% chance, member of the troop is drunk/ill/injured/missing, and the director tries to press a PC into service as a character.", or "10% chance, opera troop is presenting a play that faction X considers a direct attack on them, and they've hired rowdies to throw rotten fruit at the performers and break up the play." Point is, while you or I might be experienced enough to brain storm up this on the fly, under the pressure of play it's a lot harder than it is now while I'm typing this, and it will be even tougher for the people who by your book.

That table is a work in progress, so I don't know if Opera Troupe is going to stay as is, or if it is going to get more elaboration. It is a wuxia game, and assumes a certain level of familiarity with the genre (Chinese Opera Troupes are a pretty standard trope). But what I always tell people in the books is to think about why the person or group is there in the first place. There should be a reason they are interfacing with the PCs. This doesn't have to be hostile, but there needs to be a reason. With an opera troupe, that could be lots of different things. This kind of troupe often does acrobatic combat performances for example, so one reasonable result is one of the performers accidentally striking the PCs. But if the players are obviously skilled martial heroes, the troupe might be interest in recruiting them when they see them pass by. This could lead to any number of developments. With things like officials for example, if the players are currently wanted (which happens often enough in this kind of campaign) the official may be carrying around their wanted poster inspecting passerby. Doesn't have to be that dramatic. But I like having room to interpret the result and I like giving people that space as well.

Hussar

Legend
Hrm. Not sure how much I can add to this to be honest. I'm seeing where folks are coming from and I keep nodding my head as I'm reading.

Frankly, thought, and perhaps this is just my own biases, something like this:

BRG said:
However, with an opera troupe, it could certainly add something, whether it is because the opera troupe demands payment from the PCs for their public performance, or if I or another GM wanted to throw in some spice, the opera troupe can easily end up being a group of assassins or something going after the party. Or the opera troupe could simply be getting in the party's way. I do like the idea of putting in possibilities in the group entry (though I would put that in a description under the table most likely, because tables are difficult to layout)

basically sounds like a scene to me. As soon as you decide which of those options to go with, you have a scene. That you like a looser structure is perfectly fine. I'm bad at improv, so, I need my notes as a nice warm and fuzzy security blanket. :D But, sure, I can certainly see how this works.

It's still narration though. :p :D

Hrm. Not sure how much I can add to this to be honest. I'm seeing where folks are coming from and I keep nodding my head as I'm reading.

Frankly, thought, and perhaps this is just my own biases, something like this:

basically sounds like a scene to me. As soon as you decide which of those options to go with, you have a scene. That you like a looser structure is perfectly fine. I'm bad at improv, so, I need my notes as a nice warm and fuzzy security blanket. :D But, sure, I can certainly see how this works.

It's still narration though. :p :D

We are never going to agree on this Hussar. Yes you can call it a scene. But you can also call it an encounter, a situation, a challenge, etc. I find these much more neutral than scene (which brings to mind scene from a movie or play—-which I don’t want to emulate structurally). Same with narration. We are just at the “yes it is”, “no it isn’t” phase of the discussion.

For me, the thing is descriptive whether or not it is prescriptive. Whether you think of them as scenes or not, they are scenes. Thinking of them as locations is true, in the sense that any good sandbox will have locations where no scenes take place, and scenes that take place in locations where no participant knew before hand that there was going to be a scene there. But the scene happens whether you think about it as a scene or not.

Depending on how you define scene (which is very important here), I don't think this is true. It again brings us into 'everything is really X so you are always doing X no matter what'. If that is the case, then it doesn't really matter I suppose. But if we are drawing on Scenes here as an analogy it leads to problems, or at least problems for certain styles of play. Calling it a scene immediately invokes movies and plays. And scenes in movies in plays have things we expect to occur, that we might not expect to occur in the spontaneous medium of a game. Also, RPGs have things that arise that we don't expect to occur in a movie. The needs of the mediums are different. But I see a lot of people trying to emulate movie scenes, because they are starting with that as their analogy. For example, when I am running a situation, I don't care if it is a 'good scene' in the sense that you have in a film. All I care about is if the game is fun. And part of the game being fun, at least for many of my groups, is making sure the players have a sense that they are interacting with a breathing setting that isn't always oriented around their personal drama or character arc (like you have in a movie). In a movie Chekov's gun stands. In an RPG I don't think it does. In a movie, scenes ought to be efficient and lead naturally to the next scene. In an RPG there is a lot of back and forth, deliberation, etc. In a movie a scene needs to move in a certain rewarding direction. In an RPG, it is a game, and the dice determine many outcomes. There is a natural conflict between that and the dramatic needs of a movie scene.

And just to emphasize, not saying you can't have these elements. Just I think there is an issue if we always assume the 'scene' analogy holds in an RPG. It is going to depend on the kind of campaign you are running.

H

For me it boils down to a few things:

I like to be surprised as the GM

I don't like having the feeling that instead of running a session, I could just hand my players my notes and largely get the same result

I was very, very unhappy running sessions in the 3E era under the predominant adventure structure (the style of adventure built around Encoutner Levels and planned out storylines, and the stuff you found in Dungeon at the time). This got worse the more things like wish lists and builds crept into the game, where it felt like it was all about reaching some pre-ordained destination. So I went back to the early stuff: the 1E DMG, my old Ravenloft books, stuff I'd heard about and played but never delved into deeply (like HARN), and a lot of the OSR discussion and blogs (as well as other stuff being talked about at the time). This led me to really think through what I want in play and what I don't want. One thing I don't want to do is allow prep to get in the way of players spontaneously doing things in the setting.

I love having settings and adventures with living moving parts. The NPCs are not sitting there waiting in a room to dramatically stand when the players enter: they are pursuing their agenda and reacting. Groups and organizations are planning and moving even as the players do their thing.

I don't think in terms of events. I avoid this. I think in terms of NPCs, groups, etc. Events arise because people coordinate and take action. So I avoid thinking things like "wouldn't it be cool if they were confronted by the bad guy at this ancient temple". Instead I try to think of what the bad guy would be doing because sometimes that leads me in directions I wouldn't otherwise expect (like seeking to work with the PCs instead of dramatically confronting them). At least in terms of human based events (obviously sometimes a meteor just needs to fall out of the sky and shake things up).

Celebrim

Legend
For example, when I am running a situation, I don't care if it is a 'good scene' in the sense that you have in a film.

I object that you do.

All I care about is if the game is fun.

Is that what the movie maker ultimately cares about as well? I mean, even a horror movie maker that wants to inflict scares, or a dramatists that wants to provoke tears in a scene, ultimately wants to do that because at some level the audience enjoys that experience and came to the movie to experience it. I don't see this distinction as a distinction at all. If all you care is that the game is fun, then you do care about having good scenes. What makes the scene good is that it is fun.

And part of the game being fun, at least for many of my groups, is making sure the players have a sense that they are interacting with a breathing setting that isn't always oriented around their personal drama or character arc (like you have in a movie).

You have an excessively narrow view of movies, personal drama, or character arc. It's perfectly fine to have a movie where there protagonist is experiencing some breathing setting that doesn't revolve around them. Plenty of movie makers try to capture the experience of actually being peripheral to the events of the story either as the audience or the characters of the story, and for the events of the story to be essentially random and meaningless on the grounds that the movie maker perceives this to be how life goes.

In a movie Chekov's gun stands. In an RPG I don't think it does. In a movie, scenes ought to be efficient and lead naturally to the next scene. In an RPG there is a lot of back and forth, deliberation, etc. In a movie a scene needs to move in a certain rewarding direction. In an RPG, it is a game, and the dice determine many outcomes. There is a natural conflict between that and the dramatic needs of a movie scene.

Yeah, I'm just not getting this. You've got a simplified stereotype of a movie you are fighting against, and yet ultimately movies are about entertainment. And there is no formula for what entertains an audience.

And in any event, I have defined 'scene' for the purpose of an RPG without reference to a movie 'scene'. So while there is an obvious relationship, no one is or should be surprised if what makes a good scene in an RPG is not exactly the same as what makes a good scene in a movie. No one should be particularly surprised if there is some overlap, but there is no reason that anything that applies to a movie needs to apply to an RPG. That's not generally what an analogy is in the way most people use analogies, nor for that matter am I using analogy since I tend to think analogies confuse people more than they clarify. When most people use an analogy, they are normally stating only that two things share a limited set of features. They are not normally insisting that for every feature of the first thing, there exists a one to one and onto mapping to features of the second thing. Tolkien famous asserted that because people tended to assume from analogies that this was true, when it obviously was not, that people shouldn't use analogies at all. Whatever relationship between scenes in the story telling medium of an RPG that I'm drawing with scenes in a movie, it is certainly not a one to one and onto mapping.

As for Chekov's Gun, I've used it in an RPG several times to great success. I think you are trying to say that since an RPG has a branching story path (at least potentially) stories can be abandoned if the protagonists lose interest in them, and as such the Chekov's Guns of that story will never be fired, or perhaps will be fired, but will be fired offstage when the protagonists are no longer around to hear or even learn of their firing. And while that's true, I'll still insist that the very fact you are aiming to have a world that fills living and breathing means that those Chekov's Guns will tend to be fired by someone, because otherwise it wouldn't feel living and breathing.

My favorite Chekov's Gun concerned the neighbor of one of the PCs, an undertaker, introduced in basically Act II, Scene 1 of the story, helping the PCs collect the dead after a natural disaster. That gun didn't get fired for about 2 years of gaming, but when it went off, oh boy was it a good one.

Celebrim

Legend
I was very, very unhappy running sessions in the 3E era under the predominant adventure structure (the style of adventure built around Encoutner Levels and planned out storylines, and the stuff you found in Dungeon at the time).

OK, that's fine, but that structure sure as heck wasn't heavily inspired by movie making or story telling. We could talk about when module writing for D&D went wrong in that direction because writers assumed that the goal was to exactly emulate movies or novels, but then we wouldn't be talking about 3e which was a reaction to all of that.

OK, that's fine, but that structure sure as heck wasn't heavily inspired by movie making or story telling. We could talk about when module writing for D&D went wrong in that direction because writers assumed that the goal was to exactly emulate movies or novels, but then we wouldn't be talking about 3e which was a reaction to all of that.

I get that. But it is equally important here for me providing an explanation. A movie inspired period was more the 90s which is a whole other topic

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases